AIBU to want to report this stinky woman?

(53 Posts)
LookingForwardToMarch Fri 12-Jul-13 16:52:42

It is boiling here, and I have just spent my fourth afternoon with all the back doors and windows shut.

We can't go into our back garden.

I can't hang washing on the line without having to rewash it to get the stink out.

I can't take my baby out to sit on the grass and play.

Why?

Because the woman who moved into the rented house next door smokes the strongest, most potent skunk known to man!

I'm sick of it, and due to the tirade of foul abuse we had when she moved in she doesn't strike me as the sort of woman I can just go and have a chat with.

AIBU to want to report her to someone, anyone? Hell I know the police probably will not give a shit, and her kids are clean and looked after (looks like they are) so I don't think ss will care either.

So how do I stop her?

Short of hosing her down every time she sidles out of her backdoor and starting a neighbour war?

whataboutbob Sat 13-Jul-13 23:58:39

OP- YANBU. Our previous downstairs neighbour was a chronic skunk smoker. The stuff is just awful. It made my life a misery- not being able to open the bedroom window on a hot night like this. Smelling the foul stuff in the kids' bedroom when I went to them in the morning. We considered all the options, the council and CAB advised us to go to the police but we stopped short as it would have enraged him. I couldn't t bear to speak to him in the end but DH is more tolerant and managed to suggest a few things to him and keep communication going eg " could you p,ease smoke on your living room, not under the bedrooms". You're not going to like what I say next: it only stopped when he died, of lung failure, before his 50 th. A wasted life.

LouiseSmith Sat 13-Jul-13 23:35:48

Ring the police. Its drugs, and she shouldn't be smoking them.x

GameSetAndMatch Sat 13-Jul-13 18:18:57

did you report her then OP? whats happening?

olidusUrsus Fri 12-Jul-13 22:16:03

YANBU, report it. The smell is nausea inducing, but no doubt you'll get someone come along soon and tell you the smell is lovely hmm

OddBoots Fri 12-Jul-13 20:06:18

I guess if it is on your dd's clothes you would be best to call the police (non-emergency) now so you have some record just in case some helpful person calls social services. Failing that maybe a chat with your health visitor who might have some advice.

lottieandmia Fri 12-Jul-13 19:59:47

Definitely call the police - nobody should have to put up with this.

Ezio Fri 12-Jul-13 19:56:40

I knew someone who smoked loads of it, it smells like really bad body odour, its foul, someone past me on the street smoking it, i felt sick.

Report it, you should be able to open your windows, with out that foul smell invading your home.

miffybun73 Fri 12-Jul-13 19:55:50

YANBU.

Call the police.

lottieandmia Fri 12-Jul-13 19:37:36

sorry I meant YANBU of course!!

valiumredhead Fri 12-Jul-13 19:31:34

I'd tell her landlord asap!

footflapper Fri 12-Jul-13 19:30:51

Whenever my neighbor upstairs is smoking skunk I check my ds nappy! Fucking stuff reeks!

Iamsparklyknickers Fri 12-Jul-13 19:30:12

Are there still such a thing as Community Support Officers? Maybe give them a call.

I'm not impressed by the fact she's smoking all day. Weed is mind-altering stuff - it's in the same category as swigging cider all day to my mind.

Granted she's probably got an amazing tolerance, but it's still not good for the kids.

Ezio Fri 12-Jul-13 19:30:05

Call the police, and you can go to the council too.

LookingForwardToMarch Fri 12-Jul-13 19:27:29

I only actually see her out by her backdoor smoking, and the one encounter I have had with her didn't go well!

It is definitely skunk.

Thanks all, I am going to ring non emergency police tomorrow and explain it to them.

Hopefully one day soon I can dry my clothes and frollic on my grass and sniff the flowers grin

GameSetAndMatch Fri 12-Jul-13 19:20:21

I was thinking the same as hernow but ordinary ciggies dont leave you stoned do they? and Im VERY concerned about the kids being there too.

I knew of someone whos kids had to be taken away as she was off her head the whole time, and her toddler wandered out of the open front door and found on the street in nothing but a dirty vest.

thankfully someone knew who the toddler was and took them to the police station.

stooshe Fri 12-Jul-13 19:07:49

Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't catch that neighbour is abusive. Must be the skunk making her "paro". Just report it then. I hate unreasonable neighbours, much worse if they prevent you from enjoying the few hot and sunny days that we have.

stooshe Fri 12-Jul-13 19:05:21

No you are not over reacting. There is a reason that skunk is called skunk. That's why I don't smoke it either (and I've been known to partake in a spliff or ten), but skunk doesn't even smell like it comes from creation. Just have a direct,but polite word with your neighbour. If she is a real pothead, the response should be chilled, no?

curlyclaz13 Fri 12-Jul-13 19:02:36

If you don't know the landlord can you tell the letting agent ?

SignoraStronza Fri 12-Jul-13 18:57:36

Our neighbours smoke (and grow) skunk. It absolutely mings and makes us feel really nauseous. You can smell it well before you reach the house.

Anyway, I think someone must have reported it because there was a flurry of activity a while back and I think one of their friends must have taken the plants away. A few days ago the police were at their door according to another neighbour.

Now you can only smell it occasionally, rather than a continuous fug. It got so bad that their attached neighbour couldn't use their airing cupboard or put things in the loft because it just stank out her house as well.

Evil stuff. And I say this as an ex occasional toker (of the more chilled, less stinky stuff). Basically, once over the age of about 25, if you regularly smoke the stuff you're a bit of a sad case really. I'm always seeing him shuffling pie eyed to and from the car - and often hear him sorting at his gf.

LookingForwardToMarch Fri 12-Jul-13 18:56:21

I think I'm going to tomorrow, I probably wouldn't mind so much if it was a rare thing but it's just been unbearable these last two weeks.

Latara Fri 12-Jul-13 18:52:07

YANBU to report, a real PITA if you can't even hang out washing or go outside without you ending up smelling of skunk.

No wonder she's abusive, as skunk can make people very paranoid and moody.

Worrying that she's got a young child in there to look after while she's off her face all the time.

hernow Fri 12-Jul-13 18:51:50

...but if someone is smoking this stuff isn't it just like the smoking ordinary ciggies in the house and car advert? Especially if you can smell it so much isn't it the same?

RobotBananas Fri 12-Jul-13 18:39:19

Yes, its not every weekend either, and she's moving now, so it doesnt bother me really.. its just weed too so much more bearable.

You should call police non emergency number though, esp as she's got a child there with her all the time as well..

ReluctantBeing Fri 12-Jul-13 18:33:52

That would annoy me. Have you rung the police non-emergency?

LookingForwardToMarch Fri 12-Jul-13 18:31:15

Unfortunately Robot she doesn't take a break during the week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now