ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

As of September 1st no more term time absences - complete overkill?

(152 Posts)
Levvylife Thu 11-Jul-13 16:55:16

We've just been notified that schools will no longer authorise any absences in term time as of September (bar exceptional circumstances) and if you do take your child out in term time you get a £60 fine.

I'm not saying I approve of kids taking time out in term time per se, but this seems ridiculously heavy handed to me, what's wrong with the current system at the Head's discretion?

For example, my 6 year old DS was studying the Great Fire of London, so we took him to London for two days, but on a Sunday and Monday to avoid crowds and reduce the cost by half. He learnt way more in that day than he would have in school and I find it very hard to believe that the odd day here and there for good reason is going to make a massive amount of difference.

Also, Dh pointed out that some people work in offices and it is not always possible to take your annual leave in the summer if everyone else gets in there first. Then what?

So, AIBU to think that this is really over the top?

AmberLeaf Sun 14-Jul-13 14:26:35

It's a load of bollocks.

So low earners can no longer go on holiday then? [I don't necessarily mean foreign holidays either] Holidays during school holiday times are extortionate.

There are other reasons why some people take term time holidays too, no way could my son cope with the numbers of people anywhere during school hol times. Audrina like you and for the same reason, we spend a lot of the time during school hols sat at home avoiding the crowds.

usuallyright Sun 14-Jul-13 21:28:32

*the next step, after a fine, will be to remove your child's name from the school register.
your off-roll child will be free to holiday with you at any time*

Oooh, scary.
not so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now