To use Bepanthen cream...

(28 Posts)
Yawner247 Wed 10-Jul-13 16:09:14

Posting here for traffic!!!! I have a burn on my hand from striking a match and a spark hitting my hand would it be wise to use bepanthen cream on it to help it heal as a nursing friend advised or shall I leave it to heal on its own?! I always thought you left them!

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Wed 10-Jul-13 16:17:24

I would say to just keep the area clean. If you want to put anything on it I would advise putting some liquid paraffin on the burn to aid healing. This can be bought at pharmacies and I would be tempted to ask the pharmacist if they think it needs it.

Footface Wed 10-Jul-13 16:19:13

Sudocream is better if you have any

jamdonut Wed 10-Jul-13 16:21:21

Sudocrem is magic! It cures EVERYTHING!grin

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Wed 10-Jul-13 16:22:43

Forgot to say Liquid Paraffin is what hospitals use to treat burns.
Hope it heals quickly x

Pennyacrossthehall Wed 10-Jul-13 16:37:50

A spark from a match you say? Is it visible to the naked eye?

grin

DoJo Wed 10-Jul-13 17:59:19

I have cured sunburn overnight with Sudocrem - it is indeed magical stuff and I would probably apply it to a broken leg or amputation so sincere is my belief in its healing powers!

timidviper Wed 10-Jul-13 18:04:39

NO NO NO NOT SUDOCREM! It is too thick and greasy. I hate it as I have seen some awful skin problems/reactions with it but I know some people swear by it.

Littleprincess Are you sure about Liquid Paraffin? I thought it was White Soft Paraffin that was used, they certainly use WSP impregnated dressings. Vaseline is a branded form of White Soft paraffin. I think the theory is just that it softens the skin and stops cracking and reduces scarring as it heals

WorraLiberty Wed 10-Jul-13 18:06:14

I swear by Sudocrem, it's brilliant.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Wed 10-Jul-13 18:11:44

We used liquid paraffin a lot on facial burns to great affect. It does the same job as the soft paraffin IIRC.

Yawner247 Wed 10-Jul-13 19:27:24

Penny you would be surprised how big it is from such a small source...unbelievable I know!!!! smile Just slightly embarrassed!!

Yawner247 Wed 10-Jul-13 19:28:02

Posted too soon...where would I get liquid parafin from?!

LynetteScavo Wed 10-Jul-13 19:31:22

I find Bepanthen brilliant and far better than Sudocreme. I agree with your nurse friend.

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Wed 10-Jul-13 19:36:38

According to the Red Cross first aid course I did, they say not to put creams on burns at first because if it turns out to be so bad that you have to seek medical attention, the medics will have to get the cream off before they can treat it, which will hurt like fuck. If you've established that you don't need to see a doctor for it, you should be fine to put anything on it that you find soothing. (If anyone has proper medical knowledge that says this is wrong, please say so. )

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Wed 10-Jul-13 21:30:03

Chemists sell it Yawner I would go in and show them the burn and let them advise you. Hope it heals soon x

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Wed 10-Jul-13 21:37:18

TheCat - you are correct that you should never put anything on a burn initially. Not just because they would have to wash it off before they could treat it, but also because it could actually make the burn worse by causing an infection.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Wed 10-Jul-13 21:41:38

*should clarify that you can put cool water on a burn - (not ice though as it can cause tissue damage) just no creams or butters or ointments.

DramaAlpaca Wed 10-Jul-13 21:44:12

Tea tree ointment is brilliant on minor burns or scalds.

WildlingPrincess Wed 10-Jul-13 21:51:50

I use sudocrem for everything! It was created by angels I tells ya.

Maryann1975 Wed 10-Jul-13 23:17:13

If you can't heal something with sudocream, it means the whole area is going to fall off. That's what I tell the dc when they are reluctant to have 'that yucky white bottom cream' on and we are yet to lose any limbs. It heals burns, cuts, minor skin infections, insect bites, everything really.

Yawner247 Thu 11-Jul-13 14:12:15

Sudocrem the cream of the gods!!!!! Love the comment if sudocrem won't do the job it's going to fall off!!!! Haha!! Thanks for the advice mums net grin happy healing!

primallass Thu 11-Jul-13 14:48:51

Honey is the best thing ever for burns. It takes the pain right away.

Sorry about the DM link

oscarwilde Thu 11-Jul-13 14:54:54

Vitamin E capsules. Break one and rub in contents.

Boosterseat Thu 11-Jul-13 14:58:25

8 hour cream if you have it.

Its the stuff of gods!

FuntClaps69 Thu 11-Jul-13 17:09:43

Bepanthen is miracle cream. I use to heal tattoos, on sunburn, rashes, spots, sore bums, you name it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now