to ask for a very basic pre-holiday low-carb plan?

(59 Posts)
AtYourCervix Mon 08-Jul-13 08:43:03

I'd look at the bootcamp threads but my fancykindle won't let me find it.

3 weeks til my holiday.

3 Weeks to shed 5 stone (I may have left it a bit late).

So..... low-carb?

The basics for a 3 week plan please.

[Thanks]

Nottalotta Wed 10-Jul-13 16:30:05

17 day diet is fab. I lost 10lbs in 17 days. The first stage is low carb with some carb added in at each 17day stage. 4 stages in total.

BIWI Wed 10-Jul-13 18:14:29

specialsubject - the OP asked about low carbing, not calorie counting.

And low carbing isn't a crash diet. There's a huge amount of science to support its benefits, not just for weight loss.

AtYourCervix - you can eat mayo and cheese, but as said, check the carb counts of your mayo. Cheese is brilliant as it's carb-free (if it's hard cheese), but just beware that some people have an issue with dairy, so don't go mad with it - i.e. don't eat half a pound at every meal!

sallycinnamum Wed 10-Jul-13 18:40:40

I've been eulogising about low carbing today at work. I lost a stone in a month (half a stone to go).

I wish I'd done it years ago instead of spending 10 years on diets that don't work.

I still drink booze and have the odd treat. It's changed my life and I don't miss carbs one bit.

amigababy Wed 10-Jul-13 18:55:41

I'm not low carbing. though I think I need to and am reading with interest.

but I do regularly have soya milk in coffee it has around 0.9 grams carbs per 100 MLS. this compares with 5 grams per 100 MLS for semi skimmed milk. Could be a handy ingredient for some things.

amigababy Wed 10-Jul-13 18:59:25

BIWI and anyone else who knows. If I start low carbing, will I soon lose the mid afternoon sugar craving that is currently ruining my attempt at losing weight, I must scrounge around 600-700 unnecessary calories at 4pm every day.

( sorry op encroaching on your thread)

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Thu 11-Jul-13 11:38:04

Amiga, yes, after a week or two your cravings will go, and you can also snack on anything low-carb you like, to your heart's content. Olives, cheese (BabyBels are good if you're out), Pepperami, Parma ham, hard-boiled eggs, prawns with Marie Rose dipping sauce from M&S, full-fat Greek yoghurt, raspberries...

specialsubject Thu 11-Jul-13 12:16:03

when the NHS take down the eatwell plate (40% complex carbs) I'll believe that the science in low-carb is accepted.

while it still remains in the domain of 'people trying to sell you something' then I am cynical. Also a lot of people don't understand the difference between simple carbs and complex ones. No wonder so many are fat when they believe that 'health bars' and 'low-carb pasta' - all processed as hell and ridiculously expensive into the bargain - are the way to go.

all these magic diets work because you eat fewer calories. Nothing you put in your mouth helps you lose weight. It is what you don't put in that matters.

moving a bit is good too. But again, that doesn't make anyone any money.

BIWI Thu 11-Jul-13 12:32:54

Who, with low carbing, is trying to sell anyone anything? hmm

The absolute opposite is true, actually - buy fresh, unprocessed foods is the usual advice.

And - if you could be bothered to read anything that's written here or anyone else - you would soon understand that it's absolutely not about eating fewer calories.

Not sure why you're so wedded to a system that is based on flawed science - unless you work for the NHS/are peddling low calorie dieting?

decaffwithcream Thu 11-Jul-13 20:21:50

You and Yours all this week on Radio 4 is looking at food manufacture. Yesterday they went to a lab which deals with lots of requests from manufacturers to lower the fat content of food. And get a lower calorie count. As that is what sells. It quickly became apparent that when they took out fat which they called a bulk agent the first idea was to insert more sugar, as another bulk agent.

They commented that this could be a problem though "as it would increase the calories"

No comment on the many other problems inherent in adding more sugar into foods that were being marketed at people trying to make healthier choices.

Today they looked at butter vs low fat spreads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now