ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

AIBU to think anyone calling a woman a slut is very disgusting?

(106 Posts)

It's just disgusting. Whether a man is calling a woman a slut, or another woman is - I think it's completely degrading and nasty.

I understand some women can be homewreckers and she may be a bitch, or a cow but am I the only one who thinks that calling someone a slut is just beyond disgusting?

You don't know what a woman has gone through. Perhaps she's a little bit flirty or has been with more men than most women, but you don't know why she feels that way. Even if she has 'stolen' someone away from a man, it shows her state of mind (messed up and not able to get her own man) so I honestly feel sorry for those types.

So AIBU to find calling someone a slut completely disgusting?

<waits to be told IABU and it's OK if I am>

cory Fri 21-Jun-13 14:55:07

What the word slut does very clearly is to spell out that multiple sexual relationship are not permissible if you are a woman.

You don't need to sleep with somebody else's husband or boyfriend to be called a slut: casual and frequent sex with unattached men will do the same thing. Recent case in the vicinity involved a teen girl who had had three successive boyfriends <keels over in horror>.

There is no similar pejorative word to be used of a man simply for having lots of sex.

Which is funny as most sex probably is heterosexual: these female sluts have to be sleeping with someone.

fromparistoberlin Fri 21-Jun-13 15:57:18

"Yet, when those children grow up, they hear us calling other people names with abandon. "

only when I drive lyingwitch!!!!

I just dont think we can do a moratorium on all rude words as they might be sexist...?!

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Fri 21-Jun-13 16:11:01

You might only do it when you're driving, fromparis, other people don't.

I'd say that until we can find and use words with the same level of vitriol for men then we shouldn't use them for women. Does that work?

tootdelafruit Fri 21-Jun-13 16:20:22

"curious, how do we insult women then!!!! "

I don't really consider gender when i'm insulting someone (tbh I don't really insult people but I will mutter under my breath sometimes) it depends more on what they've done. asshole, scumbag, wanker, nasty fucker, piece of shit (exp).

cory Fri 21-Jun-13 16:30:11

It seems to me that a man who sleeps with somebody else's partner will be labelled with the word "bastard", a generic word of opprobrium for people who treat others badly.

A woman who sleeps with somebody else's partner will be labelled "slut", a generic word of opprobrium for women who are considered to have too much sex.

I am sure this says something about the perceived nature of the offence. The man shouldn't have been injuring the other man. The woman shouldn't have been sleeping around. hmm

fromparistoberlin Fri 21-Jun-13 17:05:17

cunt, for me a non gender specific insult

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now