kids calling to play at 7.15

(53 Posts)
emanjay Sun 16-Jun-13 19:21:18

Its too late. Ds in bath and getting ready for bed!!

Mother2many Wed 19-Jun-13 14:59:36

Yes, depending on the time change...when they are younger, it could be 7:30 or 6:30.... Supper was at 5 then...

My children now go to bed at 8:00 and 8:30. If they do not, they are tired and cranky in the morning...

On a school night mine would be in bed / reading quietly at that time. They are 6 and 8. Yes, they both stay up a bit later on occasion, but not regularly....they need their sleep and are much much nicer for it! grin

KellyElly Mon 17-Jun-13 15:10:27

7.15 is too late because whether your kids go to bed or not then they should be winding down for bed at that time on a school night at 6. If they go out running around at that time you'll never get them to bed!

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 17-Jun-13 14:38:33

calm down Paradice. You know an estate with many families living near together where children might come round 'after hours' to play? That sort of estate.

I just equate lots of kids in and out of eachothers houses as an estatey type thing. I have never lived anywhere where folk just dropped in either children or adults. Even as a child we didn't just turn up to each others houses. We used to ring first. Maybe I'm odd!

If DC are in bed at 6.30 what time do they have dinner? confused

Bunbaker Mon 17-Jun-13 07:22:44

"All three DCs are in bed by 7.30 at the latest, tonight they were all in bed by 6.30pm, and they will still sleep through until I wake them at 7.30 tomorrow morning."

Your children get 13 hours sleep and still need to be woken up!

Mother2many Mon 17-Jun-13 03:43:37

In my trailer park, it's not a surprise to see a 5 yr old wandering with his 7 yr old sister at 9:00 at night!! Just amazes me...

BackforGood Sun 16-Jun-13 22:32:07

Our next door neighbour will knock to see if my dd wants to go out and play in our back gardens. Didn't realise it was only allowed on estates! shock

I didn't realise only children on estates could knock for each other. confused Does it have to be a new build estate?

ParadiseChick Sun 16-Jun-13 22:14:30

Wtf? Estate? What are you on? What do you even mean by estate?

FunnysInLaJardin Sun 16-Jun-13 22:08:30

True Worra we live in the sticks so I always think of local children = estate

WorraLiberty Sun 16-Jun-13 21:52:48

You don't have to live on an estate in order for your children to have local friends who want to knock.

I think you any live near me!!! Lol!!

This happens fairly often here, and I know dd1 is sometimes ridiculed for not being allowed out to play, but I'm sorry, after 7pm on a Sunday, or any school night is a definite NO!!

All three DCs are in bed by 7.30 at the latest, tonight they were all in bed by 6.30pm, and they will still sleep through until I wake them at 7.30 tomorrow morning.

I don't think YABU at all!

FunnysInLaJardin Sun 16-Jun-13 21:44:17

all I can say is thank god I don't live on an estate. DC here were in bed for 8.30 but I would hate local children to be coming round in the evening

Startail Sun 16-Jun-13 21:41:22

Never in her life has DD1 gone to bed before 8 and far more if it 8.30-9.

However, I certainly wouldn't have wanted knocks on the door at 7.15pm.

Once DH is home it's time for food, TV, cuddles, showers and HW, not other children.

Nice summer week end evenings perhaps, if they see my DDs in the garden, but knocking on the door, no!

BackforGood Sun 16-Jun-13 21:40:01

YABU to think that every other family in the neighbourhood must know your routine and that it is precious to you.
YANBU to have that routine if it suits your family,
but YABU to project your routine on to other families.

Mmm Hairy I did think that. Can't imagine DS1 (nearly 14) wanting to come home at 7.15.

HairyPotter Sun 16-Jun-13 21:32:34

To the poster who said 7.15 would be too late at 13 or 14, you are kidding surely?

Or do you not have teenagers?

dorothyelmhirst Sun 16-Jun-13 21:30:04

I always tell optimistic village children who call late,

"Sorry they have to do their chores and homework"

That way no ribbing about not being allowed out, and if mine complain, I point out there are plenty of chores, would you like a list?

Sparklymommy Sun 16-Jun-13 21:25:51

My three younger kids (6,5 and 4) don't play out in the street at all. Oldest (10) goes out with friends occasionally but is always in by 8pm (unless at dancing. Some nights she doesn't finish til nearer 9pm).

My kids play in the back garden until maybe 7, 7:15pm and chat to the ndn's son whilst jumping on the trampoline!!!

Viviennemary Sun 16-Jun-13 21:19:37

I think a 7.15 bedtime is far too early in these light nights. Still everybody must decide for themselves. So I wouldn't think 7.15 was at all late.

A little note on the doorbell telling them not to ring does the trick.

TheYamiOfYawn Sun 16-Jun-13 21:13:14

I don't mind other kids playing out late, but it does annoy me when they repeatedly call round at bedtime, as the kids get really wound up immediately before bed.

*curtains even

Just because vurtains are shut doesn't mean people are asleep. My two DC never think to open theirs. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now