Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Do all parents think their children are bright?

(158 Posts)
TooHotToFuss Fri 14-Jun-13 23:14:01

I think it seems to be too generally applied... AIBU? That really. We were discussing the low expectations news in our staffroom today, and agreed this word is almost so overused it can be meaningless.

Do you ever hear it or use it?

TheYamiOfYawn Sun 16-Jun-13 16:52:37

...fairly lofty ambitions, and have a reasonable chance of achieving them.

Talkinpeace Sun 16-Jun-13 16:55:15

One of DDs really good friends - with my support to her mum - was moved from the bottom of set 1 to the top of set 2 and is much much happier there
its about realism.
I happen to have bright kids and academic friends but because my DCs do sports and music, some of their friends are non academic but still great fun.

SOMEBODY will have to deliver the post and mow the verges after all : those people exist and will make all of our lives nice. Enjoy their company.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 16-Jun-13 17:05:14

March parents evening three separate teachers felt the need to say 'You are aware she is really very bright?'. Um yes I have lived with her for 9 years I am the one who answers the questions about the krebs cycle and mitochondria that have lead you to this statement.
I just talk to only a very few people about it.
I suppose this is a boast, but it cut both ways if you don't talk about it to the teachers they think perhaps you didn't know.

trice Sun 16-Jun-13 17:27:47

I think both my dcs would score around 125 on an IQ test. So able but not genius level. Definitely bright as buttons.

One of ds friends is very clever and funny, destined for a first at oxbridge like his dad, plays several instruments, brilliant actor, great cricketer, not big headed, handsome too. His mum can only talk about the fact he is slightly tubby. I think she is trying too hard not to boast.

Talkinpeace Sun 16-Jun-13 17:57:48

trice
when DCs were coming top of their junior school I was chuffed but aware that 1/30 is not a great fraction.
now they are getting 2/300 I know they are bright (and its a vehy MC comp)
BUT
because of the way the pastoral system works, they are mixed with kids of all abilities so are aware that they exist
which is a darned sight more than I was - having been to selective private gels schools right through

MaryKatharine Sun 16-Jun-13 18:02:16

I have 4. Eldest is very bright, top of his class. No2, DD1, is exceptionally bright, termed gifted by school. No3, DD2, is academically average, can hold her own and is not behind so doing fine. No4, DS2 has developmental issues so is going to struggle academically. So quite a mixed bag!

Tubemole1 Sun 16-Jun-13 20:19:34

dd bright in literacy but not so great in other subjects. She is incredibly perceptive and susses out people putting out a false impression of themselves. She is also catching her dad's quickness for a quip and humour. She lacks confidence and trust in some adults. I know if I encourage her active imagination, and attempt to maintain interest in the core subjects, she'll be okay. I think she'll do well in humanities, open-ended subjects, but not logical subjects like maths and science. But I need her to try and pass them, not excel at them.

I'm a primary teacher with two teenage DDs. It took until the end of Y3 before I realised just how clever DD1 was - she got Level 4s in English, maths and science. She was still 7 then. So, yes, it is definitely hard to tell!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now