To think Lincoln is underrated?

(126 Posts)
KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 20-May-13 09:30:19

I took the kids to Lincoln yesterday for a day out of the house. It's 2 hours away, about the same distance as York, where I took them last month.

All I knew about it was there's a famous Cathedral there, so I was really pleased to find the city was as good as York, only significantly less crowded. And, you don't have to pay admission to go inside the cathedral.

We took an open top tour bus ride around the city, and it only cost £10. I liked the town as it has a lot of medieval buildings and a pretty waterfront.

Everyone I talk to here in Oldham says they've been to York, but not Lincoln, and I think that's a shame.

Anybody have similar underrated favourites they want to share? smile

VivaLeBeaver Mon 20-May-13 21:44:04

The Bentley wasn't built till the 90s. grin

Onion loaf and ribs at Damons, mmmm.

I love it grin It is one of my very favourite cities and I get to visit fairly often, as I live in Lincs grin
Not all of Lincolnshire is flat though, I live in the Wolds, very hilly and picturesque!

If you have preschool age children, you must visit The Collection, it has a brilliant part just for them, I have spent many hours there trying to drag the DC away! Do not attempt to push a double buggy up Steep Hill, at least not if you're very unfit, an old man had to take over halfway up blush The shopping is of reasonable quality and quantity, but then I do come from The Wolds, so have low expectations where shopping is concerned grin

MrsPnut Mon 20-May-13 22:06:42

I live in a village near Lincoln too, and it's ok. It'd be better if it wasn't in Lincolnshire but that's because I'm from Yorkshire and nothing compares to god's own county.

I love the castle and cathedral, the Bailgate area is great for a mooch around but the shops are woefully lacking. You need to go to Nottingham to go shopping really.

neverputasockinatoaster Mon 20-May-13 22:40:36

I live in Lincoln.

To be truthful I think it is over rated. Hate it here. Only moved here to marry OH as his job was here. Now stuck here.

poorpaws Mon 20-May-13 23:41:38

I love Lincoln and lived there for 5 years. It was one of the happiest times of my life and I made many friends some of whom I am still in touch with. We always call it "our cathedral". Awww I miss lovely Lincoln.
Love York too though and have a very fond memory of a dirty week away there many years ago blush too much information.

DrCoconut Mon 20-May-13 23:56:31

The pie shop on the hill is a must in Lincoln.

Wandastartup Tue 21-May-13 07:06:04

Gosh, all these closet Lincoln lovers! I am going at the weekend. We should have a meet up. Damons for ribs anyone? I like the Ocean too.

Just saw this (apologies if it's old news to some on this thread), but thought it might be of interest: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-22553227

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 21-May-13 17:42:40

I would be interested to go there now. wonder if it changed and let in a few outsiders when the (I believe) University (?Leicester) came.

TBH it was a dead-and-alive place in the early 1990s. Beautiful, a few good pubs but back in the 1950s in many ways.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 21-May-13 17:44:05

hesterton

yes, the prison chapel sticks in the mind!

cornflowercrabtree Tue 21-May-13 17:44:37

Go to the Christmas market in Lincoln, it's amazing.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 21-May-13 17:49:37

I had a London accent and it got comments everywhere I went. It was as if they had never heard someone with that accent.

Such a contrast from places nearby. like Nottingham, Leicester, Sheffield.

Friendly though.

TiggyD Tue 21-May-13 19:03:29

I saw a goth/punk walking down Steep Hill wearing boots that had a good 6 inch heel and an inch or 2 platform sole. I'm slightly ashamed to say that I did follow casually behind her to see what would happen. She made it but it must have taken a lot of effort. Even I couldn't have managed.

Horsemad Tue 21-May-13 19:41:49

I went to the Christmas market once... never again! It was just one huge swell of people, and you couldn't get near the stalls to see stuff!

I don't like Damon's much either! The ribs are good but not enough to make me go there.

Apart from that, it's fine! grin

TheCunnyFunt Tue 21-May-13 19:42:24

I live 20 minutes away, been there hundreds of times so it's just 'meh' to me grin

GeorginaWorsley Tue 21-May-13 20:17:13

Been to both,Lincoln last year and go to York at least every year.
Probably prefer York,but Lincoln was great for a day out and I agree about Lincolnshire being a bit forgotten.
We try and explore a 'different' city or town a few times a year,staying in Premier inns grin

LifeHope11 Tue 21-May-13 20:41:44

I love Lincoln, it is a gem of a city which not many people seem to know about. I was brought up there so went back to get married, many of the guests raved about the city as they didn't know much about it & so were not expecting it to be so lovely.

We had our reception at the Lincoln Hotel with a view of the Cathedral, which is right next door, as a back cloth (the hotel used to be called the Eastgate Hotel as the remains of the Roman east gate of the city are just outside - it is that kind of place).

Lincolnshire is as flat as a pancake, apart from the Wolds and the hill the Cathedral is built on - so you can see it for miles around.

I would recommend my beautiful Lincoln to anyone looking for a weekend break in a lovely and interesting place.

MrsDoomsPatterson Tue 21-May-13 20:45:23

The Christmas market is too busy, I don't like Damons, nope, it's not my favourite place ever...

LadyLech Tue 21-May-13 21:07:31

Ahh, this is bringing back such fond memories.

I lived in Lincoln for a bit in the 1990s and had a very happy time there. I agree it is vastly underrated as a city.

Loved the area around the castle and Cathedral. We used to drink in the pub at the top of steep hill overlooking the castle, and then get our chips (with gravy in a tray - I'm a southerner, it was a novelty for me grin) on the way home. Happy times. Also loved Damons.

Went back for the Christmas Market a few years back and was shocked to discover that the Choux shop had gone!! How could they do that!?!

If it wasn't for the fact that it really is at the back of beyond, I'd happily move back.

I'm also shock at the thought of running up steep hill. I get puffed out on the first little section!!

Is the vintage clothes shop still there? About a third of the way up steep hill on the right??

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 21-May-13 21:28:15

LadyLech Yes, it's still there. I didn't go in, but I did notice it.

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 21-May-13 21:28:55

Although I seem to remember one on the right (as you go down the hill). I think I may remember two of them - one on each side.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 21-May-13 21:55:01

There's one either side.

I lived in lincoln in the mid 90s and had a Kenyan housemate. I swear he was one of very few black people at the time. It's still not the most diverse of cities apart from Eastern Europeans. God, the looks we used to get in Sainsburys and places. People would openly stare and I'm not usually one for noticing such stuff.

Kasterborous Tue 21-May-13 22:11:00

We lived in a village near Lincoln for seven happy years. And our DD was born in Lincoln hospital so I have a soft spot for Lincoln.

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 21-May-13 22:11:49

When I lived in the Western Highlands, black people really stood out. I knew not to stare but I always noticed them in a sort of "Hey! A black person!" sort of way.

I have always wanted to go to Lincoln. This thread has reminded me that I was once meant to go with an ex partner. We ended up in Hull. We also ended up separated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now