is this a new trend- custody battle 'pages' on facebook?

(36 Posts)
Booyhoo Thu 16-May-13 12:24:25

i've seen 3 different pages come up as being liked or commented on by friends all entitled something like "get my children back with their daddy" (all 3 pages are by men).

the pages are updating with information about what has been discussed between the two parents, what solicitors are saying, court dates and outcomes of court hearings. one page i saw had a lot of abuse directed at the father running it and one has nothing but support for the father but alot of abuse for the mother. the other i didn't even look at.

is this a new trend? i feel very sorry for the children involved that this is being played out on the internet. it has their names, special events being mentioned that the mother is supposedly not permitting the dad to attend, lots of vitriol aimed at their mother.

Booyhoo Thu 16-May-13 18:10:33

"but clearly I don't have the asshats cluttering up my friends list like you do, OP"

this sounds like you mean it as an insult. do you?

KobayashiMaru Thu 16-May-13 18:12:45

not really, just an accurate observation. It's people on your friends list either liking or posting on these pages, yes? Then they are asshats. Seems obvious to me.

CremeEggThief Thu 16-May-13 18:19:16

I have to admit I would love to slag off my STBXH in my Facebook statuses, especially when my divorce will come through. But I won't, as DS is one of my Facebook friends and ultimately, his feelings come first.

He does know and understand that I will never forgive his dad though, but he doesn't need to have his nose rubbed into it and sometimes, when he is being negative about his dad or his dad's family, I'm the one who changes the subject despite hating their guts

Booyhoo Thu 16-May-13 18:19:55

i meant was it meant as an insult to me.

KobayashiMaru Thu 16-May-13 18:54:42

I know. And as I said, not particularly. You might want to look at culling your friend list though.

Booyhoo Thu 16-May-13 18:57:55

why?

KobayashiMaru Thu 16-May-13 19:01:20

I refer you to your OP. Is it not obvious why?

Booyhoo Thu 16-May-13 19:12:21

no.

KobayashiMaru Thu 16-May-13 19:17:56

hmm Well, the only reason you are seeing these pages, the ones you think are awful enough to post about them here, is because your friends like them, or post on them It is your friends that are bringing this to you, and your friends that are popularising these pages. It's your friends that are part of the problem.
Do you not think this gives you pause to consider the people you are calling friends?

Booyhoo Thu 16-May-13 19:29:37

oh well, i'll delete them cause you say so then. woudn't want you losing any sleep over it. wink

or i could just carry on knowing that everyone on FB posts shit that other people dont necessarily agree with and everyone is an asshat at one time or another and that instead of terminating all contact with anyone who ever does something i dont agree with i could just hide that particular post and not be a social recluse for fear of encountering someone with different opinions.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Thu 16-May-13 19:43:13

I used to be a family Solicitor. It was the constantly warring parties who drove me nuts. If they were receiving legal aid they expected it to be a bottomless money pit funding their constant bickering. If they were privately paying they would instruct you to make calls and write letters and then complain when the bill arrived.

It is correct that court documents should be disclosed to no one other than the agencies involved and the parties to the case. It got to the point where my head of department said no more welfare reports were to leave the office. Instead, the client had to come in to read it. We were fed up of irate calls from friends and relatives calling in to slag the other party off and pick holes in the report.

We always told clients to stay off Facebook and no, please don't secretly record telephone conversations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now