Not to put into the collection

(37 Posts)
Altinkum Sun 12-May-13 16:55:33

I can't link the original thread, but its called, work situation, how do I resolve...

Last week, a member of staff left due to me, apparently.

The member of staff assaulted (hit me with a tray she threw at me) and swore at me, I told boss as boss basically got told F off.

I'm now enemy number one at work, even tho I was innocent one, herd mentality as I'm the new women.

So today I got asked to put into we collection, however I don't want to put into it.

Reasons being, is that I'm now being made to feel that she left because of me....(even tho she was the one in the wrong and 6 members of staff have made offical complaints about her work attuide) Even tho it was her in the wrong, I also don't see why I should reward her for having a temper tantrum.

I just want to stamp my feet, and say no... Because I'm the one who is being treated appallingly and beig made the scapegoat due to her dreadful behaviour.

Altinkum Sun 12-May-13 16:56:53

*basically she told boss to F off

shewhowines Sun 12-May-13 16:58:12

Say you would feel hypocritical contributing, so you'd better not for this one

If somebody assaulted me I would not be putting into their leaving collection, no matter what others thought.

OwlinaTree Sun 12-May-13 16:58:27

Don't put in the pot, avoid the leaving presentation if possible. If not possible keep your head down n join in.

She will leave and it will pass.

SilvercloudRainbow Sun 12-May-13 16:58:59

I can't understand why they're having a collection for someone who has upset so many people and has clearly "left under a cloud". You don't have to "stamp your feet and say no" you just "say no" in a calm rational manner. We have collections all the time at work for people I've never met who are finally leaving after being on long term sick leave, I never contribute as I don't know them. I don't make a big deal of it, I just say "sorry, no, I'm not contributing".

Euclase Sun 12-May-13 16:59:19

So don't put anything in the collection ? confused

marriedinwhiteagain Sun 12-May-13 17:02:19

Oh dear altinkum - another problem at work; you do seem t be very unlucky in work situations. I would put in a couple of quid, write something nice, and rise above it.

toffeelolly Sun 12-May-13 17:03:55

Do not put a thing in. No way.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 12-May-13 17:08:42

Just smile and pass the collection on when it comes your way. And make sure you don't sign the card either.

Altinkum Sun 12-May-13 17:08:57

Married its the same work place. hmm if your talking about my previous employer who dismissed me for having to take time off due to my son needing a emergency operation, I took them to court and won.

If your

I don't want to put in, however it was cause even more ill feeling at work. However I strongly feel, that she shouldn't be rewarded for her behaviour.

TheseFoolishThings Sun 12-May-13 17:11:07

Do you ever have, say, a month at work where nothing happens except you go in, do your job, go home and everyone's happy? Only it seems it's always something - I wouldn't work somewhere where there was always one issue or another!

I think saying it would be hypocritical is the best option.

What a cow, and what cows the rest of them are!

usualsuspect Sun 12-May-13 17:11:24

I wouldn't put anything in. But don't make a big deal out of it. Just ignore the collection.

Altinkum Sun 12-May-13 17:18:11

Well I go in, do my job and go home.

However can't be said for the other members of staff. There work life is also their social life.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FeckOffCup Sun 12-May-13 17:19:32

I wouldn't put anything in, I think it's highly cheeky that they are even organising a leaving collection given she was basically sacked for assaulting another staff member.

HollyBerryBush Sun 12-May-13 17:20:59

I wouldn't and I don't see the issue with not putting in collections. They aren't compulsory.

She assaulted you yet you are bring asked to contribute to her leaving collection?

'Jog on' would be the most polite response I could give. 'you must be fucking kidding' would be more likely to slip out..

SgtTJCalhoun Sun 12-May-13 17:25:27

They'd have to peel the £'s out of my cold, dead hands before I'd put in for that collection. I'd say so too.

expatinscotland Sun 12-May-13 17:27:53

NO WAY I'd put a bean into that collection.

SweetSeraphim Sun 12-May-13 17:28:28

Or me. And I'd be quite happy to say so as well.

LittleMissLucy Mon 13-May-13 05:57:39

Don't put in - its not compulsory, its not like she's leaving to have a baby. Forget about it.

I did work somewhere once where a girl moving across the country was handed a collection of 13 pounds 50 pence. There were over 30 people in the dept and I'd put in a fiver!

luxemburgerli Mon 13-May-13 06:49:39

Assuming that the story is the same from all sides, I'm amazed they have the guts to ask you for money! I would laugh and say "you must be joking". And leave it at that. No need for a scene, but hell would freeze over before I bought a present fro a colleague who threw a drawer at me!

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 13-May-13 07:02:29

I certainly wouldn't. Give money as a leaving present for a person who left after assaulting me? Are you insane?
would be the only response they'd be getting off me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now