To think these new guidelines on fetal movements may cause a lot of undue worry.

(71 Posts)
scottishegg Mon 06-May-13 18:06:20

Hi all, I am currently 34 weeks pregnant with my third child, I already have a DS who is 5 and a DD who is 2.
With both my previous pregnancies my midwives have told me that as long as I was getting 10 fetal kicks/ movements a day then not to worry.
My DS was very active in the womb however my DD wasnt an active baby at all ( she makes up for it now though!!) and I literally only got between 10/20 movement a day if I was lucky.
With this current pregnancy I have been told that the baby needs to move 10 times an hour or without a doubt they definately need to move 10 times within 2 hours or you need to seek medical advice, to me this puts undue worry on mothers especially if they have been feeling frequent movements and seems like it may put pressure on the NHS/ midwife services. I dont understand why they have changed their views on fetal movement, I appreciate that it could possibly save lives and I appreciate that even if this change helps one baby then there is a benefit but I am just wondering why after all these years they have changed their policy which has seemed to work well in the past.

eccentrica Mon 06-May-13 19:59:30

redwellybluewelly very sorry to hear about your experience.

Andcake Mon 06-May-13 20:47:26

I remember asking some one about hiccups countng as movement and was told one bout f hiccups equals one movement iykwim not each hiccup one movement. Sounded sensible to me at the time. Ds was v hiccupy inside me and can be a v hiccupy 8 mo :-)

VivaLeBeaver Mon 06-May-13 20:53:22

Well your midwife in your previous pregnancies was giving you outdated and dangerous advice. Ten kicks a day hasn't been recommended for ages.

Like others have said its the pattern of movement....is it normal or reduced. If 30 kicks a day was normal for you, then 10 in a day wouldn't be reassuring.

I've never heard the 10 in an hour advice and I'm a midwife. No sure where that policy has come from.

With DS I was on the monitor practically every day from about 24 weeks as he just didn't really move at all, no anterior placenta it was just that he slept pretty much constantly, I'd be on the monitor for hours as they couldn't get him to move either. hmm

If it had been 10 movements an hour I would never have left the place!

But I do think that there needs to be more awareness of what can happen and if this helped that and saved even one life then I think it would be worth it.

bonzo77 Mon 06-May-13 21:14:08

YABU. Any amount of undue worry beats a still birth. I have 2 babies that were born alive because I was keeping an eye on movements. The stats for still birth in this country are a bloody disgrace. The other factor in my second baby was having regular / frequent scans to monitor placenta function. This is standard in some countries. I had to push for it initially, though I soon had my consultant on side when it became apparent my concerns were well founded.

FoxyRoxy Mon 06-May-13 21:14:55

Ds1 was quite lazy, ds2 was kicking and punching me while I was in labour. I was told any change in "normal" movement to get checked out. 10 movements an hour every hour seems a bit odd as they do sleep for a couple of hours at a time.

katkit1 Mon 06-May-13 21:31:43

I'm so glad this guideline is in place.

On my due date I failed to get my 10 movements.

Tried the trick of choc bar and iced water, still no movements.

Advised to come to hospital to be checked.

after 1 hr of checks it was decided to deliver via emcs due to ds being in distress.

katkit1 Mon 06-May-13 21:34:22

I was only told to count 10 movements min in a day.

scarletforya Mon 06-May-13 21:40:27

I don't know. I had an anterior placenta with dd and felt barely anything. I didn't feel a kick until 24 weeks and even after that I rarely felt anything much. Definitely not 10 movements an hour.

Joiningthegang Mon 06-May-13 22:05:24

My dd had hiccups once a day most days - but other thn that didn't move at all - these guidelines would have terrified me - she's 11 now

LetMeAtTheWine Mon 06-May-13 22:14:32

I am almost 37 weeks and at 36 weeks I noticed a massive reduction in movements. Had to go for monitoring 3 days in a row (all of which said everything was fine) and then a scan to check growth was ok (which was ok). The baby still doesn't move around as much as it did previously but everyone has said that all ok based on the checks and that I should just make sure I get 10 kicks a day. Have been told that it is usual at this stage to feel less as less room for baby to move, and also that they sleep more in preparation for their journey in to the world. Seems everyone has a different opinion....it worries me every day as no idea what to believe/who to listen to sad

Ashoething Mon 06-May-13 22:23:00

i didnt phone the hospital for 2 days when i felt no movement with dc3. i was 28 weeks.i knew something was wrong.turns out i had a huge blood clot in the umbilical cord so he died very quickly. i urge any mums with any pregnancy concerns to seek immediate help.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Mon 06-May-13 22:24:41

I think there should be much more emphasis on getting checked out quickly if you notice a change in movements. Far too much sitting about drinking cold drinks and eating sugar while babies quietly die in utero. My ds will always suffer because I thought they moved less towards the end.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Mon 06-May-13 22:26:56

Really sorry about your ds ashoething

Bad x-post, not referring to anyone specifically but far to many posters on the 'haven't felt baby move much' threads are still advocating cold drinks. It's infuriating.

peacefuleasyfeeling Mon 06-May-13 22:42:23

Great thread, I need a kick (pardon the pun) up the backside in this area. I worry because I just don't get the time in the day to tune in and feel for movements, in fact, this pregnancy, I harly have time to remember I'm pregnant! Sure, I notice them (and sometimes my pupils, who regularly sit at my feet, eye level with the bump, shriek as they see ripples across my dress), but I find it hard to make that mental note that a movement occured and keep count. At 32 weeks I still haven't been able to establish a regular "pattern of movement". I will really, really try harder now. I am very sorry to read the stories of your losses.

But the mws also say that. They say to try that for an hour and then call back if nothing.

I think the information on what to do if movements aren't normal or as frequent should be paramount rather than the amount ie 10 kicks an hour.
Women need to feel confident they aren't wasting time when seeking immediate medical attention when they feel something is wrong.
The motto should be "make your way to hospital if you have any concerns, instinct matters", thing is 10 kicks an hour is normal for some babies but not others.

So sorry for all you that have experienced the loss of a baby x

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShadowStorm Mon 06-May-13 22:58:09

I went into hospital because of reduced movements with DS - he was fine - but I got told then by the registrar that if I thought I was having reduced movements again, I should have some ice-cream and sit quietly for an hour, and only go in if there was still reduced movements.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Mon 06-May-13 23:09:21

I guess I was bloody lucky then. No suggestions of cold drinks, told to come in straight away, ds born within an hour of arriving in hospital. He survived just
He was in scbu for weeks and I can't count the number of times people said how they wished more women would present earlier with reduced movements.

YABU, I have just supported a relative through a difficult pregnancy. She had numerous admissions into the Liverpool Women's, every time she went in there was a woman in, whose baby had died,in Utero. That is what the emergency room is for, to get checked out, the staff couldn't be nicer and give the message that it is best to go and get monitored, than lose the baby. Unless you have all of the facts and figures, how can you say that the advice worked well in the past? And why do you think you can advise women better than the professionals and NHS?

littlemissmagic Mon 06-May-13 23:22:00

I am so glad I saw a poster at the hospital telling me to call if I felt reduced fetal movements.

That one poster saved my son's life and quite possibly mine.

I was quite poorly, I just didn't realise quite how poorly I was. You get information overload when you are pregnant - the more important things sometimes need to be pointed out, even if they sound so obvious in hind sight.

ToothGah Mon 06-May-13 23:59:23

I'd hope mums-to-be would err more on the side of caution tbh.

My friend did, as she'd had reduced movements. She went to A&E and was left to sit there for several hours. Her little boy was stillborn three days later sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now