Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be irritated by work (petty, boring, long - not selling this am I?)

(62 Posts)
catgirl1976 England Wed 01-May-13 19:58:04

Yesterday my work announced there would be a brainstorming meeting in the work canteen to get ideas from staff on a new project at 1pm and sandwiches would be provided. All staff were invited to attend.

Before the meeting my HR Officer e-mailed me to say a member of staff had asked if they could still take a lunch if they attended this as they wanted to be involved but had an errand to do in their lunch break. Lunch breaks are unpaid.

I ummed a bit and then let her know as we were providing sandwiches it was one or the other really. I didn't plan on attending the meeting as I had arranged to take a colleague out to lunch at 12pm.

At 1pm the Marketing Manager who was hosting the meeting came and asked me if I would come any way as I am partly involved in the project and she specifically wanted my input. I said 'well, it's a bit awkward as I've just told xx that it's one or the other, but if you need me there I will come up'.

About 10 staff attended the meeting.

Today it transpires about half had gone on lunch, then attended the meeting from 1pm till 1:45. None of them ate any sandwiches as they had already eaten.

Maybe a bit mickey-taking but not the end of the world.

It gets back to the two partners who apparantly have gone batshit angry about it.

They tell the Marketing Manager to e-mail everyone saying they are 'disgusted' yadda yadda. She drafts an e-mail saying the Partners are dissapointed by the situation and although she didn't explicitly tell people it was to be taken as lunch she had thought the provision of sandwiches would have implied this sufficiently.

She is then told by the Senior Partners PA the e-mail isn't good enough (not a severe enough bollocking I think) and this will be dealt with 'a different way'.

I am at a level that it won't really affect me personally and I am unlikely to get a bollocking over it but it just strikes me as petty.

Apparantly the 2 partners have spent the entire day frothing about this.

To me, people are not paid for lunch. If we want them to attend a meeting and contribute the fact it is held at 1pm rather than say 10am or 4pm isn't really an issue. The fact a few grotty sandwiches were on the table doesn't make it less 'work' than any other meeting. People are entitled to a break during the day even if we give them a sandwich.

Mainly, I just think they should have more important things to froth about and the way to deal with this is to either not have lunchtime meetings or make it clear next time in the invite that people are not to take a lunch as well as attend.

I will end up getting involved at some point as HR falls under my remit but I just don't think it's a big enough deal to be such a major issue with frothing at the top level and words like 'disgusted' being thrown about.

It just narks me. AIBU to be irritated by the pettiness and tell them to chill the fuck out (worded a touch differently) or do I just hate it so much I am overly annoyed by nothing at all?

fascicle Thu 02-May-13 10:07:37

catgirl said:
I ummed a bit and then let her know as we were providing sandwiches it was one or the other really.

To me, people are not paid for lunch. If we want them to attend a meeting and contribute the fact it is held at 1pm rather than say 10am or 4pm isn't really an issue. The fact a few grotty sandwiches were on the table doesn't make it less 'work' than any other meeting. People are entitled to a break during the day even if we give them a sandwich.

OP, it seems like you are saying different things to different people. So, it looks like you were giving the party line to HR, but on here you are voicing a different opinion of what's fair and siding with the employees. Given that there are legal implications of providing breaks at work, I think you should have said to HR, and to the partners, what you have said on here (i.e. along the lines of the second quote above).

Overall, the organisation and communication of the meeting sounds a bit of a shambles. Were the partners trying to save time/money by scheduling the meeting at lunch? If lunch is being provided, people need more than a mornings notice since they are likely to have made other plans/brought in their own lunch. And if employees were 'invited' to attend, that indicates there was a choice in the matter. The partners have no grounds for disappointment at the outcome.

Tanith Thu 02-May-13 10:44:54

I think you should present the Partners with a copy of Matthew and Son by Cat Stevens, compliments of the staff smile

Delayingtactic Thu 02-May-13 11:02:41

I think you are all treading on thin ice here. Morale will plummet if anyone gets a 'telling off' about failing to give up their free time to attend a meeting. Even if I had gone to the meeting, hadn't taken a lunch and scoffed sandwiches till I couldn't move I would be fucking angry that an email said those that didn't behaviour was disgusting. In all honesty I would then spend my unpaid lunch hour going on job sites. Because it shows the partners don't give a shit, don't understand employment law and think very little about their staff.

RenterNomad Thu 02-May-13 12:36:09

Interestingly, no mention that International Labour Day was this week! wink

aldiwhore Thu 02-May-13 12:45:06

If I had to be at a meeting at 1pm, then I'd take my unpaid lunch at 12, and stuff the sandwiches! Though nice that they were provided.

It shouldn't be either or, it should be both... if you are expected to attend the meeting.

StealthOfficialCrispTester Thu 02-May-13 12:53:58

"If a meeting isn't work then most of the Senior Management team haven't done any work for the last 20 years"

Love that grin

I have to say you were inconsistent, I can see how it happened, but saying the "party line" to begin with, then doing the opposite yourself wasn't good. It's now good you are standing up for the staff. And no, yanbu. We have working lunches every now and again where I am, but they are optional and you only attend if the subject is of interest - they are mini lectures on topics important to us.

catgirl1976 England Thu 02-May-13 19:47:48

Sorry I've not been back on....been manic

Jinsei's pretty much spot on.

I was asked because HR report to me.

I said 'lunch or meeting really' because I knew that would be what the Partners expected. I didn't really agree with it, hence my umming, but they do pay my wages and if I always advised everything 'by the book' in favour of the employees and ignored the commercial or what the Partners would want, I'd be out of a job pretty quickly.

I spend a lot of my working days trying to manage the balance between managing the commercial aspect or Partners expectations against the letter of the law and employee welfare. Whilst I don't like it, at the end of the day I need to get paid, and so I try to pick my battles and save it for when it really matters.

On first ask, this didn't feel like the worlds biggest deal and I gave an answer I didn't agree with because, sometimes, I have to deal with that.

Had the meeting been madatory I think I would have given the opposite answer, but given attendance was voluntary I went with 'either / or'.

I appreciate I have been inconsistent, and, having been somewhat complicit in the first place, I might be being a bit U to be so annoyed. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I am just annoyed by the massive over-reaction and the fact it has now become such a big issue. I annoyed that the party line is always short sighted and unfair. I'm annoyed that I am constantly tring to juggle between commercial and legal / ethical. I am annoyed that the Partners think its an amazing place to work because we get pizza on a friday and don't realise most people would trade that a million times over for some positive feedback, or a clear career path or investment in training.

My main annoyance is because stuff like this is constant and it's like pushing rope up a hill at times. Plus them wanting to bollock people and call them 'disgusting' is just such a total over reaction and I can't believe they spent a whole day frothing over it when they are (apparantly) so busy and when there are things that really do need some time spending on them that never get it.

Linerunner you are right. They will never be able to get away from "but we provided sandwiches" if I dont make the distinction between 'lunch' and a 'break at lunchtime' so I will be careful to do that

It hasn't come up today as I have been at chambers in the morning and in a meeting (no sandwiches smile ) all afternoon

StealthOfficialCrispTester Thu 02-May-13 21:44:04

You don't need to justify yourself. I think its clear how it happened - you hoped or assumed both sides would act like grown ups.

StarsdontShine Thu 02-May-13 22:26:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

catgirl1976 England Thu 02-May-13 22:30:20

If only we had a union stars.

Thanks stealth - that is it exactly. I kind of thought it wouldn't end up in a massive deal sad

MrsPoglesWood Thu 02-May-13 23:28:40

But you can have a union, of course you can. Your employer doesn't have to give permission. Any employee can choose to join a union that as far as possible represents their type of employment. My DP's employer didn't have a union a few years back until one bloke struck out and within a month 95% of the workforce had signed up.

Yes the management can choose not to recognise said union - very unwisely - but if they breach employment law the employees have some recourse and some significant resources behind them to fight their corner.

oscarwilde Mon 06-May-13 05:34:41

Hi Catgirl
I remember your earlier post in legal. How is it going generally now you are back at work ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now