Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU To say Tom Cruise ruined Katie Holmes career?

(127 Posts)
HoveringKestrel Sat 27-Apr-13 22:49:02

Katie left him, seeing the light about his Scientology and/or his odd choice of life
Katie is obviously a good mum
Katie is a good actress
Katie is one of the most beautiful women EVER

I can't help but see her in past roles and think....."oh katie, you had such promise and didn't know what was coming"

I LOVE how much she takes care of her daughter. But....she could have been the next Reese Witherspoon or Amy Adams.......and she isn't.

ClartyCarol Tue 30-Apr-13 19:44:01

Bows to BOF's superior knowledge of sleb twaddle grin.

Lighthousekeeping Tue 30-Apr-13 18:58:07

I think she did. Did you hear her on desert island discs? Before the divorce? About a year I think, she was madly in love with him. Are we saying he got more controlling with the next wife?

JennyMackerz Tue 30-Apr-13 18:52:38

wow. was that public BOF? who made that public? NK ?

JennyMackerz Tue 30-Apr-13 18:51:14

Yes but the MILs are older, and are controlling other women.

What's the age gap with KH and TC? It was pretty wide. I think there is a cultural script if that's the right expression to fall in with what the older person wants. 16 years (?) was a significant age gap. To begin with, she probably bowed to his superior wisdom a lot, fitted in around him, and 9 times out of ten it didn't matter and wasn't important I am sure. He also had about a million times as much cash as she had. Money is power. Whether you're talking about millions or thousands. TC appointed the wife of a high up scientologist as KH's personal assistant. He paid her salary but who was she actually working for? To begin with, before the issues arose, that wouldn't seem a problem. It would seem like a gift! And then, when you realise it is a problem, how to you solve it without looking like you have something to hide, without sacking your husband's friend and having to explain yourself?

BOF Tue 30-Apr-13 18:48:21

It's not true about Ewan M: DNA tests on the fetus proved it was Tom's.

2rebecca Tue 30-Apr-13 18:33:47

You get controlling women as well though, plenty of them on the MIL threads, far more controlling MILs than FILs. If you marry someone and you discover they are too controlling then you get a divorce. On the whole though if you see someone regularly for a couple of years before getting married it's highly unlikely they are suddenly going to become a control freak if they weren't before. Tom Cruise's control tendencies weren't exactly kept a secret by Nicole Kidman, I've heard he's a control freak and am not a Hello/ tabloid reader. Some women like to believe they are special or different or can change men, or get married too soon. Women sometimes make poor decisions.

Lighthousekeeping Tue 30-Apr-13 18:24:08

We don't know that though do we? Not really.

JennyMackerz Tue 30-Apr-13 18:19:15

2rebecca, that's a very naive statement there. I'm sure he didn't reveal how much control over HER he would want to have before they got married. Controlling men never do.

JennyMackerz Tue 30-Apr-13 18:17:29

Really?! never read that re: wee mcgr

ClartyCarol Tue 30-Apr-13 18:16:05

Apologies for repeat post!

ClartyCarol Tue 30-Apr-13 18:15:17

Yes, I have read that as well about NK and the miscarriage, and the father was allegedly a certain Trainspotter.

meboo Tue 30-Apr-13 18:03:59

Oh I do always love the TC speculation..... As it is said, there is your version, their version and then the truth.

If everyone really knew the truth there really wouldn't be much to talk about. smile

2rebecca Tue 30-Apr-13 17:00:40

I'd never heard of her before she met him and still am not sure who she is, haven't watched Dawson's creek. Some people like to blame other people for the crap decisions they make. if she made some crap decisions whilst with him they are still her crap decisions not his. You wouldn't blame Any of Tom's women if his career went pear shaped so why blame him if theirs do?
I think he's a controlling nut job, but he's not exactly subtle about being a controlling nutjob. You would know what you were getting.

ClartyCarol Tue 30-Apr-13 15:51:50

Yes, I have read that as well about NK and the miscarriage, and the father was allegedly a certain Trainspotter.

Ah, Hovering, you better get used to it, threads get more interesting when people stray from the topic. And as for male celebrities, well, especially then! grin (gay or not)

Lighthousekeeping Tue 30-Apr-13 12:49:45

If she didn't see it coming then it couldn't have been a contract. Surely it was a love marriage? I do think there's a lot of speculation about him just because he's not like us.

JennyMackers Tue 30-Apr-13 11:58:55

No that's what I'd read too, as she was recovering from a miscarriage, approaching tenth anniversary he filed for divorce. She didn't see it coming apparently. She is SO well shot of him.

RooneyMara Tue 30-Apr-13 07:18:13

I think it's Sanchez rather than Suarez MadameCastafiore. Still hard to find a pic!

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Tue 30-Apr-13 00:59:44

There is something deeply odd about TC and I for one have always assumed he is gay. Not that this is in any way the cause of his oddness...!!

I read a biography of Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh, and now I'm shocked if anyone in Hollywood is straight. Vivien was and Clark Gable, for the record, but basically no-one else from that era.

It seems times haven't changed that much for gay actors. It's really not about whether people fancy gay people less (although there's no denying many will); it's all about the box office takings. And out gay actors just do not have the same caché. This will be the bottom line for TC who has been a leading man for decades now and comes across as quite the megalomaniac. Coming out would ruin his career. I don't even think it's got anything to do with Scientology.

I think Katie lucked out big time by being one contract wife too far. Up until Penelope, it was all vaguely, tenuously believable, TC being a seemingly serial monogamist. But everything to do with his relationship with Katie seemed utterly contrived; the cringeworthy sofa-jumping being the epitome of that.

And I can well believe that she was genuinely distressed and miserable as the 'relationship' went on, wondering how if she would ever get out and move on, what it would mean for her daughter, etc. She never had any control or day over anything. If a scenario like that isn't enough to sink you into a cesspit of depression, I don't know what is.

I wonder what next for TC - where does he go to on the wife front from here?

LittleMissLucy Tue 30-Apr-13 00:58:45

Kidman was dumped due to a miscarriage which was supposedly nothing to do with him...allegedly.

ClartyCarol Tue 30-Apr-13 00:34:04

Ooh yes, BOF has mentioned what I meant to add earlier - TC dumped NK just before their 10 year anniversary, which, purely by coincidence of course, saved him shit loads of money as she would've been entitled to half his dosh after 10 years of marriage under Californian law.

Or have I completely made that up confused?

KeatsiePie Algeria Tue 30-Apr-13 00:06:45

I thought he picked her b/c she was young, pretty, malleable, as has been said ... and fairly short! I don't like her acting but I didn't like Dawson's Creek at all, thought it was boring.

BOF Tue 30-Apr-13 00:04:54

Nicole Kidman got dumped just before their tenth year of contract marriage. Make of that what you will.

The practice of scoping out beards has gone on for years in Hollywood. Marilyn Monroe was auditioned for the role of Prince Rainier's bride before Grace Kelly got the gig.

HoveringKestrel Tue 30-Apr-13 00:01:18

..........the topic is really about Katie and Tom. Not gay celebrities.

tut tut.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now