To find it very hard to form unshakeable opinions on anything?

(27 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Tue 09-Apr-13 00:08:55

I have been thinking about this on and off for a while now and the death of Margaret Thatcher has only reinforced my belief that I don't really have many opinions on anything! blush

Just when I think I have an opinion on something, it can be anything; Thatcher, the welfare state, fox hunting, immigration; I will then read another article or speak to someone else with an opposing view and feel like perhaps I was wrong and my viewpoint changes slightly. I often feel like I never know enough about anything to form an opinion. So I read up on things and try and find out more about them, only to find myself less sure of my opinions than I was before!

Does anyone else feel like this? I am sick of sitting on the fence about things, there seem to be so few things that I'm certain of anymore! Am I over thinking things, or just ignorant?

Oh, thought. All my set opinions are about quite big things. I have pretty strong political views about what government should be aiming to do, although I can be flexible in my view about how we get there. Part of that is that I am pretty keen on personal choice, which means I tend not to have set views on, say, parenting, and get a bit fed up with people that do; because it's such a variable thing.

Maybe your set views influence the fact that you are open to ideas in other areas?

HappySeven Tue 09-Apr-13 15:48:49

I'm the same but I kind of hope it means I'm empathetic and can see the bigger picture. There often isn't a right or wrong and as history is written by the victors it's very easy to assume that politics is black and white when it isn't.

As long as you keep trying to learn more I think that's a better stance than forming an opinion in your teenage years and sticking to it regardless of any new evidence suggesting it's wrong.

I hope so, anyway! By the way, are you the youngest in your family? I've always assumed I'm this way because I have so many older siblings who bombarded me with differing opinions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now