AIBU to want and Dr and not a Nurse when I ring for an appointment?

(80 Posts)
M0naLisa Mon 08-Apr-13 08:14:44

Rang the drs for my 18 week old.
The reception says 'is it anything a nurse can help with'
I say 'I dunno he was treated last week but he's got worse'
Reception: yes a nurse can deal with it.

What if she can't? What if he needs a dr?

Bloody ridiculous!!!

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between a dr and a nurse practitioner?

M0naLisa Fri 12-Apr-13 23:06:16

Sorry I didn't reply. He is much better since being on he nebuliser. Still has a nasty cough but he isn't as bad as what he was. Thanks for asking

How is he today, M0na?

M0naLisa Mon 08-Apr-13 20:14:39

I wanted to see a GO this morning. I was worried about my son I was hasty to say aibu to want a dr and not a nurse. I'm glad I saw the nurse practitioner. She was thorough and she was bloody good today. She listened to his chest and put his straight on the nebuliser. No pissing about no pussy footing around, straight to it.

He is much better tonight at the moment

JakeBullet Mon 08-Apr-13 17:17:48

Pasflo...the thread has moved on.

Oh and a six week course does not make you a NP...you are quite right....more like a nurse presciber. I have a degree as a nurse but I am not a NP or am I ever likely to be. But I would far rather see an NP rather than one or two doctors I have come across in my time.

As for your "medical friends" I am sure they would indeed much rather see one of their colleagues. On the other hand I have one or two medical friends who wouldn't have an issue with seeing an NP and in one case has done so for help with his asthma. He found her far more knowledgable than his GP was.

ilovechips Mon 08-Apr-13 17:08:17

God is this going to turn into yet another nurse bashing nurses v drs thread yawns

XBenedict Mon 08-Apr-13 16:27:47

Try a 2-3 year degree, usually at masters level and you'd be a bit closer than 6 weeks wink

XBenedict Mon 08-Apr-13 16:21:31

Pasflo - a 6 week prescribing course does not make you a nurse practitioner either but it might make you a nurse prescriber - quite different smile

Sirzy Mon 08-Apr-13 14:31:24

It may not give the same level of training but is some cases nurse practioners are generally much more useful than GPs. In my experience asthma/chest problems is one of those areas.

Pasflo Mon 08-Apr-13 14:25:13

I think it is hilarious that some people are equating NPs to GPs. A 6 week prescribing course does not give you the same level of competence as multiple years at medical school and postgraduate training. All my medical friends would not be treated by an NP and would ask to see a doctor.

Lovelygoldboots Mon 08-Apr-13 14:02:15

Glad he's feeling better. If you are at all worried just go back. Ywnbu. I know how panicking it is though.

M0naLisa Mon 08-Apr-13 12:10:04

Thanks so do I as I don't fancy calling an ambulance confused

M0naLisa Mon 08-Apr-13 12:09:26

And it's all my doing hmm that's what upsets me and makes me angry confused

That could be a whole other Aibu smile

JakeBullet Mon 08-Apr-13 12:09:18

So glad he has been seen....hoping he starts to feel better rapidly poor little mite.

M0naLisa Mon 08-Apr-13 12:08:08

Yes I was being unreasonable grin

Yes got a good service. I have to say I should know cos every time I see the NP she's good. I just worried with him being so little.

He's fast asleep and not half as chesty as he sounded. smile

I'm glad to hear it went well, it sounds like you got a much better service than during your Drs appointment last week.
I'm happy to say that YWBU. smile

mrsjay Mon 08-Apr-13 11:49:41

the ventalin should sort him out bless him have you calmed down now ?

M0naLisa Mon 08-Apr-13 11:45:57

Yes we do. hmm

mrsjay Mon 08-Apr-13 11:45:11

aww I hope he is better soon it is such a worry when they are so little and ill mona we go into panic mode i think,

M0naLisa Mon 08-Apr-13 11:44:27

We went in at 10:15 and we were in there till 10:50.

M0naLisa Mon 08-Apr-13 11:43:04

Well we are back.

She was fantastic (as always blush)

She listened to his chest and immediately put him into the treatment room and put him on the Nebuliser (sp) with Ventalin. He sounded better when it finished. She has prescribed a Ventalin inhaler and a spacer. She says its Bronchilitas and he should get better soon. If he's bad at night give 1-2 puffs of Ventalin into the spacer and hold to his face (I'm asthmatic and so is DS1 so hve used before)

She said if he doesn't improve and it's out of hours call out of hours number. If I don't feel confident with not getting a call back within the time they say, I've to call an ambulance.

She said if an ambulance is called they can calm down his breathing and open his airways by placing him on the nebuliser on board.

MrsHoarder Mon 08-Apr-13 11:41:52

How did you get on M0na?

DoJo Mon 08-Apr-13 11:35:46

It's possible that the receptionist gave you the quickest route to seeing someone qualified to at least decide whether your son needs urgent treatment in hospital or can be treated at home. Hope he's ok.

x2boys Mon 08-Apr-13 11:17:22

and from personal experience a couple of yrs ago my then 4yr old had a nasty chest infection it was just beforev xmas i couldnt get him in to the drs for love nor money i kept being diverted to walkin centres and being promised he woulld be seen by a dr it was always a nurse practioner and because his symptons didnt tick their little boxes they were not allowed to prescribe antibiotics and i was assured that it was perfectly normal for a four year old child to be ill for weeks and whilst i know he would nt want food when he started refusing fluid i became very worried i was assured this was perfectly fine too [ i know its not and very dangerous] i eventually got him in to the drs he prescribed antibiotics immediatley and guess what my son got better within two days!

x2boys Mon 08-Apr-13 11:06:16

nurse practioners are not as good as gp,s and i say this as a registered nurse yes they have done extra training to allow them to prescribe [ only certain things though] if they wnt to be as good as a gp prhaps they should do the training which takes years it takes six years of training just to become a junior dr and then many futher yrs of exams whilst working to become a gp so yes i would always prefer my kids to see a fully qualified gp than a nurse practioner

Lucyellensmum95 Mon 08-Apr-13 10:05:38

Don't take him to A&E unless you have to, you'll wait ages if you are triaged as non-urgent. Much quicker route to see NP, i really can't see what your problem is, you have an appointment with a medical professional which is what your DS needs. I hope he improves soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now