Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think if you have a migraine...

(71 Posts)

...you will be recuperating in a darkened room, not tweeting/facebooking about it. Surely if you can bear to look at a glaring computer/phone/tablet screen, chances are it's maybe just a headache?? So sick of seeing tweets or Facebook statuses saying "OMG I have such a migraine FML" etc.

That said, I have never had a migraine myself. Am I being unreasonable?

Mumsyblouse Tue 02-Apr-13 09:40:17

I am not light sensitive with migraines, lots of people are but I am not, I have lots of neurological symptoms though which are quite severe and so going online is not my first priority, sleeping to get away from the feelings is, although I can work through a mild one or after the first day and have had to as I have enough time off as it is.

MsBella Tue 02-Apr-13 08:46:02

Also sometimes no matter what, you NEED to carry on with the day and can't be lying down in a dark room

MsBella Tue 02-Apr-13 08:44:27

It only takes a second

MsBella Tue 02-Apr-13 08:43:58

Yabu, some people NEED to express it in some way. I've been in tears with my head in a pillow in a dark room with a migraine in agony but able to reach for my phone and google things like 'why won't this migrain stop' and while I'm there I have in the past done statuses about it

Anna1976 Tue 02-Apr-13 02:44:09

aliciaflorrick weekend migraines happen a lot here too. There is a theory that relaxation is a trigger - if you're a working single mum of two with a dog, I'm not sure that weekends necessarily bring any relaxation, but could it be that you're getting a better night's sleep on a Friday night? I have always got migraines either on Saturdays or the day after some specific event (job interview, giving a talk, stressful time at work, sporting things).

lougle Mon 01-Apr-13 23:41:01

"So I can use facebook, but I make so many typos that I might not make sense. "

Oh yes! I play World of Warcraft. I'm quite good now at avoiding when I have migraine or am experiencing the predrome/prodrome. Sometimes I'm really stubborn though, and even though I know it's terrible for me, I force myself to log on and chat to my friends.

They all know I'm getting a migraine because I type leki tshi and my words make no sense whatsoever. I've learned now to stop being quite so stubborn sad

Scrazy Mon 01-Apr-13 20:22:56

I've had one or two migraines with aura and no you couldn't post on fb about then when they are happening.

I also get migraines that last 60 hours which is pain on the left side of my head. Feel wretched with them and the pain is worse lying down but yes I can and have worked when suffering and stared at a computer all day. I have prescription naratriptian (sp) which fortunately shifts it. Lying down in a dark room or taking anything else wouldn't touch them.

TheYamiOfYolk Mon 01-Apr-13 20:16:01

I prefer to lie down with a migraine, but if I am looking after children, social media helps to distract me a bit and stop me from falling asleep. I am able to function through most of a migraine now, and if I take medicine in the early stages then the headache isn't bad at all and it's mostly debilitating sleepiness, queasiness but no vomiting, a fairly mild headache, blurry vision on one side, and too sensitive senses of smell and touch. I am more sensitive to light, especially on the affected side, and it takes me longer to turn thoughts into words. So I can use facebook, but I make so many typos that I might not make sense.

anothershittynickname Sat 30-Mar-13 22:53:28

Is this the same as people who have one day off work with tonsillitis :-/

Purple2012 Sat 30-Mar-13 22:08:38

I get migraines and I can still function at work. It's not pleasant but I sometimes have no choice.

I had one yesterday. Usually as soon as the signs start I take tablets and that usually makes it bearable, yesterday I was at work when it started and I had run out of tablets, it starts with a kind of flickering around my eyes, worse on the left, a tightening around the top of eyes and sinuses then a very painful headache to the bottom left of my head. If I take tablets within 30 mins of the first sign I would be ok but I had to go out for tablets yesterday. So, I was at work, in a very bright room dealing with the public and using a computer. It slowed me down a bit but I had to get on with it.

I am rarely sick when I get them but that's because I catch them in time most of the time, and I can usually predict roughly when as it's always 2 or 3 days before my period.

I would be pissed off if it was dismissed as just a headache. If I just have a headache I say headache. I only ever say I have a migraine when I actually have one.

Oh btw, for the migraine sufferers. do you find certain things set it off? SO far we've found that artificial sweeteners are my main culprit, closely followed by change in glasses prescription (even if only by 0.25). Hasn't stopped them entirely but it has hugely cut them down. I was getting them 2-3 days a week.

I'm not sure, when I have a migraine I usually can't even open my eyes, let alone look at a screen. But there have been times (usually during a 3 day migraine) where I've got so fed up of lying in a dark room being bored and in pain that I've stuck sunglasses on and gone online. And yes, I have posted about it on FB, mostly as I know some of my friends also suffer with debilitating migraines and will be sympathetic. Self indulgent as it is, by the time I've decided to just go online I'm usually feeling pretty sorry for myself and want sympathy.

Oh and my vision goes black and I go dizzy for a couple of seconds before the pain starts, so I know I've got a migraine, it's just the full force hasn't hit me at that point. So also feel utterly able to bitch and moan about it online while I can still stand the light.

StoicButStressed Sat 30-Mar-13 21:27:26

Badguider What you call 'migraine hangover' (well put BTW) is what is actually called (tho spelling may be a tad off!) 'prodrome' - ditto the bit before the migraine but where you feel it's effects and it coming on is 'predrome'

badguider Sat 30-Mar-13 15:08:08

My actual migraines mean I can't type or speak and am confused and need to be in bed.
BUT.. they last about 4hrs and then after that I get what I call a 'migraine hangover' for up to 24hrs.
I might mention that on social media if I was moaning about missing a social event I said I'd be at - but I would tend to say 'recovering from a migraine' rather than 'having one'.

Loulybelle Sat 30-Mar-13 15:07:11

YANBU, i had bad migraines when pregnant, i felt like i wanted to be sick all the time.

Last night, i had such a migraine, i couldnt even keep my eyes open.

VerySmallSqueak Sat 30-Mar-13 15:04:29

CloudsAway I also can have problems with verbal communication when I have a migraine.

Like the words are mangling in your head but you can't work out what they mean.

VerySmallSqueak Sat 30-Mar-13 14:57:15

I have long lasting migraines with aura.I am prescribed triptans for them and they can go on for several days.
At times I am genuinely scared I am seriously ill as the pain makes me crawl up the walls.Most of the time I can do my normal things including computer and tv,to a varying degree

I get them maybe two or three times a ear. The last one I had in September was so bad i could not move my head, my vision was not right either and I felt so sick. I slept for 27hrs straight, in a darkened room.

Sorry, wish I could edit my post, I didn't realise that migraines are so varied. Sorry peeps.

YANBU. I rarely get migraines but when I do I have to lie down in a dark, quiet room. Anything else and I feel like puking, and no way would I be online. People who call their headaches "migraines" are just trying to build their part up IMO or are just ignorant of what the difference is. A bit like those that say they have the flu when it's just a cold. My ex BF said he used to think he had the flu until he actually had it one day and realised a cold is not the flu!

aliciaflorrick Sat 30-Mar-13 10:31:30

OP I woke up with a migraine at 6.00 this morning. At first I couldn't even drag myself downstairs to get some painkillers and water. I did then lie in a darkened room feeling sorry for myself, feeling like I was going to throw up. But it's taken me 3 hours to be able to move.

It's 11.30 now and the pain is starting to recede, so rather than being all consuming in my head it's just a really dull ache all over, I do still feel very disconnected and my muscles are slow. But I've got to work today (on the computer) I'm a single mum of two so I've got see to the DCs, the poor dog is still waiting to be taken for a walk. Even though I feel rubbish I do still have to function, and I came here on MN because I couldn't face starting to work and concentrate, even though I know it's got to be done.

However, if I could get away with lying in a darkened room all day I would because then I know I'll be fine tomorrow, however because I'm having to continue as normal I know I'll still be feeling unwell tomorrow. Migraines are horrible, I'm so glad I only get them a few times a year (always on a weekend too, I could never figure that one out).

InSearchOfPerfection Sat 30-Mar-13 10:26:39

Actually you could get a migraine and no pain in the head at all....
Some people get very sensitive to light, others don't.
Some people can sort of carry on with their work and other don't.

in the same way, some people get 'tension headaches' that are so strong that they have to lie down for the day when most other people just take a bit of paracetamol and get on with their day.

Having said that, most people use the word migraine as a replacement for headache. Just as a lot of people talk about having the flu when they have a bad cold....

Bowlersarm Sat 30-Mar-13 10:18:14

No way I could look at any type of screen when I have a migraine

CloudsAway Sat 30-Mar-13 10:16:41

I can be online with a migraine. Dark doesn't always help. Or even if it does, there are still times when I can be up and functioning. Sometimes the distraction is ok, as otherwise I might be sick. It's movement that usually gets me, so as long as I'm very still I can sometimes do things on the computer. I can't always see well - jagged lines across it etc, but sometimes I can. Often words in my head will get twisted and I can't always talk, but might be able to type or read. Sometimes it's worth letting people know what's happening, too, so that they don't expect you somewhere or know that there might be doubt about whether or not you are likely to be able to do something later than day or the next. Sometimes just the sympathy is comforting!

yabu.

i get visual migraines that cause 'aura' and blind spots in my vision, not very often that i get more than a mild headache as long as i take my painkillers in time.

Its not a 'headache' its a migraine, and it lasts about 15-30 mins during which i will often say 'fucking migraines' on fb while my vision field is slowly shrinking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now