Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think Eddie Mair went too far

(97 Posts)
BagWoman Sun 24-Mar-13 09:45:37

with Boris on The AM show?

Normally I love Mair- but I found his grilling and assassination of Boris most unnecessary.

Boris is right- who cares about what happened with a piece he wrote years ago etc etc.

A totally wasted interview IMO.

TheCrackFox Sun 24-Mar-13 09:59:53

I'm inclined to agree with you. Had to turn over in the end as Eddie was blethering about stuff from 10yrs ago, an interview that was actually relevant to what is happening in the world right now would have been more useful.

ScottyDoc Sun 24-Mar-13 10:03:25

I detest boris but yes I think Mair went too far. I don't think it was relevant what he brought up, much as I liked seeing boris squirm.

BagWoman Sun 24-Mar-13 10:04:10

On the plus side I thought Boris kept his cool and - just- a sense of humour. I think he was seething and managed to hide it well considering.

iwillsleepagainsomeday Sun 24-Mar-13 10:04:44

fully agree
bad interview and wannabee paxman but about irrelevant issues.

airforce1 Sun 24-Mar-13 12:18:30

He's filling i. For Andrew Marr so he knows he needs to make an impact in a short amount of time so that he can get his own show. In his eyes. Thing is, he's a twt.

FloatyBeatie Sun 24-Mar-13 12:27:08

They've already turned the Radio Four PM Programme into the Eddie Mair show, now he is on the march into tellyland.

He is funny, and sometimes gives good interview. But overwhelmingly I think he just turns the news into entertainment.

Shakey1500 Sun 24-Mar-13 12:29:24

I agree. I was kind of hoping Boris would have had better comebacks than he did.

lljkk Sun 24-Mar-13 13:28:15

DH loathes Mair, refuses to have the PM programme on.

kim147 Sun 24-Mar-13 13:55:14

I never saw the programme but I love PM. The thing I love about Eddie is his interview style with members of the public who just happen to be in the news. He has a lovely manner with them - I remember on PM when he went to a village near Swansea to interview someone who was using the extra day to overcome his agarophobia and go outside on the bus.

The interview was really nice and Eddie handled it really well.

I couldn't believe the way Mair tore into Boris, I found it to be uncomfortable viewing. Boris was very calm considering the mauling and came out of it reasonably well.

I'll watch the documentary about him.

HumphreyCobbler Sun 24-Mar-13 14:25:37

I am sorry to hear this as I have always found Mair to be a considerate interviewer who doesn't do that irritating confrontational style of questioning. This is not the first thread complaining about his aggressive style, there was one about Sinead O'Connor a few weeks ago.

BagWoman Sun 24-Mar-13 14:31:54

TBH I adore EM- he once sent me a 'personal message' on air on PM after I sent an email, saying it was too rude to read out- hahahaha.But then blogged it.

BUT I think his style and tone on the show today left a lot to be desired. On the other hand I thought his style with Sinead was fine and she came out badly in her responses.

But I felt very sorry for Boris who was clearly frustrated by the whole thing but kept cool- he knew he had to.

cocoachannel Sun 24-Mar-13 14:41:37

I agree, and really like Eddie Mair and keys just say Boris didn't get votes from this London household to hand him the keys to City Hall.

The comment 'you're a nasty piece if work aren't you?', was in my opinion unprofessional and uncalled for.

I also saw the Sinead O'Connor interview - in that case her behaviour was horrible.

ELR Sun 24-Mar-13 14:47:15

I agree cocoa his comment was def uncalled for. I actually enjoyed the interview and think borris came out of it alright.

teatrolley Sun 24-Mar-13 15:17:11

So you don't think being sacked as a broadsheet journalist for making up quotes might reflect on his (lack) of integrity? Or that passing on someone's address to a person who wants to harm them is an issue?

peppertree Sun 24-Mar-13 17:39:44

Yes i saw that interview this morning and thought it achieved nothing except for eddie mair thinking he was so clever and amusing, that is his style on the radio,think he is too self important.
Never sure when he tears into robert peston on PM whether it is a joke or not as he can be so cruel, been like that for over a year now with peston,makes me squirm as i am sure peston must be feeling vunerable with his wife dying so young last year.
Funnily enough this morning was the 1st time i had watched the andrew marr show in over a year, got fed up with andrew marr grilling guests over the gagging laws when he was being such a hypocrite over his own affairs and fathering a child and the final straw was the photo of him with his hands down some woman's knickers!
Don't suppose he is doing much of that since his stroke!

Mimi55 Sun 24-Mar-13 18:19:36

Teatrolley: You need to get your facts straight before you accuse someone on an open forum of assisting in a crime. Darius Guppy did indeed call Boris and ask for the address of someone he wanted to beat up, Boris did NOT give him that information and nothing happened to the person in question. Do you still think it's relevant?

teatrolley Sun 24-Mar-13 20:38:54

I didn't accuse him of anything. I think if there are rumours that he was involved it's worth asking him questions about it. Why shouldn't he be asked? Why shouldn't he be challenged on past conduct?

Nice first post by the way.

Jengnr Sun 24-Mar-13 20:45:51

Boris Johnson IS a nasty piece of work.

drjohnsonscat Sun 24-Mar-13 20:47:45

EM and AM both have outsized egos. Heaven forbid a woman should front this programme. Only suitable for self-important men obv.

sukysue Sun 24-Mar-13 20:51:44

I like EM & AM & BJ think BJ more than able to cope with him and it might do his reputation good to see he can be more than a loveable bafoon .

Meglet Sun 24-Mar-13 20:55:16

YABU. He got Boris squirming so he couldn't buffoon his way out of it. Made him look like the slimy twerp that he is.

ChairmanWow Sun 24-Mar-13 20:58:26

Boris Johnson IS a nasty piece of work.

^ This. The whole buffoon thing is an act. He is a a very slick operator and has shown himself through some of his rare slip-ups to be racist and a misogynist. Hell will freeze over before I feel any sympathy for him just because he got a grilling.

FreudiansSlipper Sun 24-Mar-13 20:59:44

What Meglet said

why are so many fooled by his buffoon act

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now