Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To spend money on visiting a clairvoyant?

(201 Posts)
Losingexcessweight Wed 20-Mar-13 07:50:15

I ve always been interested in having readings done on money, relationships, future etc.

I had a reading done around 6 years ago, the guy that did it wasnt very good. He didnt pick up on my father dying when i was a child.

Dh says he doesnt believe in this kind of thing, and its a load of rubbish.

I have an appointment with a local lady today. Shes £35 and the reading lasts for as long as you like.

So am i being unreasonable in spending my money on this?

And if you have had a reading done before, will you please share your experience with me?

smile

scottishmummy France Thu 21-Mar-13 18:34:58

Ach op so you wasted that money still it's funny story.the time you went a bit woo hoo
Just think you could have spent that at clinique counter,some nice goodies
But you spent it on a flaky burd who thinks she's got pow-ers

ComposHat Belgium Thu 21-Mar-13 18:25:43

Reminds me of one of my favourite jokes:

A bloke tells his friend that he has piles and needs to visit the Doctor.

His mate says, "don't do that, shove some tea leaves up your bum, it acts like a poultice and draws the piles out. Two weeks you'll be fine.!

So the bloke does this, dutiful shoves his used tealeaves up his arse every day for a fortnight, but the piles are no better. Eventually he thinks, sod it, I knew it was a load of rubbish, I'll do what I should have done in the first place, I'm going to the Doctors.

The Doctor invites him into the examination room and examines his anal region. After an examination the Doctor tells the bloke "I can tell you two things"

Firstly you have got piles

Secondly, you'll meet a tall dark stranger and go on a long journey.

OHforDUCKScake Thu 21-Mar-13 14:01:48

Im having my cards read tonight!

I take it with a big pinch of salt.

However, Im very much tied to the house because of my responsibilities and a very needy toddler. I have no social life (until he starts recovering more, could be another year or more), I never spend money on myself.

But the reading is self indulgent, its good fun, it can be funny, the lady is really lovely nice company and its all about me.

I dont rememeber much about the reading (I had one done about a year ago), I just like the rare indugence. smile

Lueji Thu 21-Mar-13 13:56:40

Not convinced about the dog experiments.
I'd have to run them myself. Were they independently verified?

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 21-Mar-13 13:53:29

oh good. phew. I feared it read a bit snotty, which wasn't my intention at all.

lottery numbers on saturday will be 7, 9, 23, 24, 30 and 32.

You're welcome.

grin

complexnumber Thu 21-Mar-13 13:43:34

ImTooHecsy.

You didn't sound at all bitchy! confused

Please do not die.

(but I'll take those lottery nos if you have wink.)

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 21-Mar-13 13:36:08

I did NOT mean that to sound bitchy. grin I meant it - I thought you were making a point. instinct=woo.woo=instinct.

<dies>
<gives Complex lottery numbers from beyond the grave>
grin

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 21-Mar-13 13:32:38

Oh, sorry Complex. I thought you were making a point.

perplexedpirate Thu 21-Mar-13 13:02:55

Psychics are my absolute pet peeve, a bunch of manipulative charlatans making money/fame/whatever from vulnerable people's worry and grief. They are utterly immoral, and I include EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM in that.
So yes, YABU to spend your money perpetuating this grubby little industry.
Wouldn't you prefer to spend it on cocktails or a nice meal or a hairdo or something?

IntheFrame Thu 21-Mar-13 12:52:16

Lueji - The experiment showed the dogs were at the house door waiting 10 minutes before the owner showed up. It didn't matter if they could hear the car arriving or gate slamming as they were already at the door.

One dog would wait by the front door whenever it's owner left the office. Even when the owner left work earlier or later.

Jossysgiants Thu 21-Mar-13 12:47:06

lueji if I remember correctly the experiment was designed to monitor the activity of the dog at the moment the owner first had the intention to return home. For example, picking up their car keys in their office miles away, calling a taxi to take them home etc.

KobayashiMaru Thu 21-Mar-13 12:35:57

Instincts just means heuristic judgement. nothing woo about it in the slightest.

complexnumber Thu 21-Mar-13 12:12:09

"Your argument actually more supports that psychics are a load of bollocks than that they're really getting the voice of your dear departed auntie hilda who wants you to have that bit of jewelry you used to like."

I'm not actually making any argument at all.

If asked, I would state that I would not necessarily trust instincts (which to me are feeling based uopn emotion rather than reason). And that I believe fortune-tellers are a load of bollocks, though possibly a bit of fun.

Lueji Thu 21-Mar-13 11:34:49

scottishmummy Obviously the author ( a former Cambridge fellow and well known biologist ) did consider the hearing and smell issues. He designed the experiments to rule out those factors.

I'm curious.
Did he give a cold to the dogs and blocked their ears?
Plus put them in floating or shaking platform?

How does one do the controls? hmm

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 21-Mar-13 10:58:51

Trusting your instincts is not the same thing.

I don't claim that my instincts are coming to me from my indian spirit guide.

Instincts are your animal self preservation things, generally. That little voice inside you that warns you of danger. It's also the non verbal clues you pick up without even realising it that warn you that someone is a liar or an arse.

Your argument actually more supports that psychics are a load of bollocks than that they're really getting the voice of your dear departed auntie hilda who wants you to have that bit of jewelry you used to like.

There is one time where if I'd trusted reason or sense abve my instincts, I wouldn't be here now. There are indeed times when insticts should be listened to.

seeker Thu 21-Mar-13 10:57:11

Which is why, incidentally, that there are always people who have "known" it was going to happen when one does.........

seeker Thu 21-Mar-13 10:56:29

I think telling people to trust their instincts above sense or reason often makes people do really stupid things, frankly. Most people have an instinctive feeling that any plane they are getting on is going to crash, for example.......

INeverSaidThat Thu 21-Mar-13 10:52:53

I think you should trust your instincts in some situations but i know there is no such thing as psychic powers. I don't believe in fairies, or ghosts etcetc. It's all made up nonsense.

Because "instincts" is shorthand for all your experiences, all the small things you see but don't consciously notice, etc, that add up and from which you make a judgement. Nothing to do with being psychic.

seeker Thu 21-Mar-13 10:50:05

I think you should listen to your instincts while trusting your reason.

Some psychics use their "instincts"- that is, they read body language and pick up subtle cues and so on. The problem is that they are pretending it's something else, fooling people and charging for it.

complexnumber Thu 21-Mar-13 10:43:05

I wonder how many of the posters on here who are dismissing all this stuff as bunkum and based upon no evidence etc, are same people who say you should 'trust your instincts'?

shinyrobot Thu 21-Mar-13 10:37:19

I gave cold readings for an event once. Won't go into details as don't want to out myself but I still have people saying how my predictions came true years after the event, several are convinced that I have a psychic talent, or the ability to speak to ghosts, or whatever they are, that I was unaware of grin

I do not, of course, have any such 'talent'.
People certainly do seem to remember the (few) hits and forget the (many) misses.

Nancy66 Thu 21-Mar-13 10:31:44

Losing - did she deliver the legal disclaimer about how it should be regarded as being for entertainment purposes only?

DolomitesDonkey Thu 21-Mar-13 10:07:42

Can anyone beat this?

I stood face to face with a woman who claimed to be psychic. I was 28 weeks pregnant. I had to tell her. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now