To spend money on visiting a clairvoyant?

(201 Posts)
Losingexcessweight Wed 20-Mar-13 07:50:15

I ve always been interested in having readings done on money, relationships, future etc.

I had a reading done around 6 years ago, the guy that did it wasnt very good. He didnt pick up on my father dying when i was a child.

Dh says he doesnt believe in this kind of thing, and its a load of rubbish.

I have an appointment with a local lady today. Shes £35 and the reading lasts for as long as you like.

So am i being unreasonable in spending my money on this?

And if you have had a reading done before, will you please share your experience with me?

smile

DolomitesDonkey Wed 20-Mar-13 08:41:38

YABVU to cancel, she knows your coming and has already made plans for the cash.

DolomitesDonkey Wed 20-Mar-13 08:41:51

"your" coming? <runs away and weeps>

CuriousMama Wed 20-Mar-13 08:49:11

If it's fortune telling you want then yanbu. But if you wanted to link with loved ones you're better off going to a Spiritualist church. They usually have services on Sundays for a donation. Or you can book private sittings, all money goes to the church.

BuddyButters Wed 20-Mar-13 08:50:19

Nope. Sorry. If you believe in it then you're a bit simple. Lets look at the facts.

1) Nobody ever, anywhere has demonstrated any sort of psychic ability WHEN PROPERLY TESTED AND UNABLE TO CHEAT.

2) Plenty of people WHO ADMIT THEY'RE NOT PSYCHIC IN THE SLIGHTEST can replicate the hit rate - in fact often, surpass the hit rate - of people who claim to be psychic.

There are loads of other reasons of course (for instance most people massively misunderstand statistics and chance, and don't realise that what they consider "one in a million" really isn't.

But basically when it comes down to it the first two points are the most important.

Nancy66 Wed 20-Mar-13 08:52:00

They're for the stupid and the vulnerable.

Clairvoyants are now required by law to tell you that you should consider any reading you receive to be for entertainment purposes only.

fluffyraggies Wed 20-Mar-13 08:56:02

I don't think the fact you believe in something makes you simple at all.

Many things in the past have been pronounced ridiculous or unprovable by science - only to be subsequently accepted as fact. Earth flat or round being the most obvious.

I'm not saying the supernatural is going to be proven to be real one day - i am saying it is unreasonable to say someone is simple for believing in something which is yet to be proved by science.

Tailtwister Wed 20-Mar-13 08:56:31

Your money, your choice imo. As long as you're seeing it as just entertainment and don't take it seriously I don't see the harm.

I went with my friend to one years ago and she was told that her mother was in a lot of pain when she died (she passed away when my friend was a child). That upset her for years afterwards, even though she knew it was a load of rubbish.

OnwardBound Wed 20-Mar-13 08:58:07

Okay Buddy I bow down to your superior wisdom and experience.

But you know, science doesn't have the answers for everything.

And who knows, but just perhaps those being tested were deluded or manipulative souls who had no ounce of psychic ability.

Or perhaps the proper testing of which you speak is not conducive to working in this way. I imagine it might make the testees a little anxious and self concious which might put them off somehow?

But to dismiss those who say they have had interesting or worthwhile experiences of clairvoyance as simple is just ignorant and rude imo.

BuddyButters Wed 20-Mar-13 08:59:01

Lol I'd say its absolutely bonkers to believe in something there's no evidence for whatsoever!

You might as well announce you believe in yellow imps who live in your toilet roll holder.

Nancy66 Wed 20-Mar-13 09:01:38

I'm with Buddy on this.

There actually HAVE been experiments that have proved that it's (at best) a load of old waffle and at worst - manipulative, exploitative fraud

BuddyButters Wed 20-Mar-13 09:01:57

Lol lol @ the idea that the fact that testees always fail is the fault of the tests! <grin>

Classic.....

Badvoc Wed 20-Mar-13 09:03:11

Perhaps spending the money on an hour with a counsellor would be more beneficial?
I have real issues with these people. I think they prey on the vulnerable and tell them what the want to hear.
Derren brown did a very good programme in cold reading - which is what they do - and the people on the show were shown to be utter frauds.
We all need someone to listen occasionally in a min judgemental way...which is why I suggest you look into counselling.

BuddyButters Wed 20-Mar-13 09:07:55

I think they're scum TBH.

ThePavlovianCat Wed 20-Mar-13 09:08:41

I agree with Badvoc in that I think they manipulate and take advantage of the vulnerable.

And do they ever tell you your future or just cold read you and tell you what you already know? If they do tell you the future what are you going to do with that information - if it's good then ok although doesn't it spoil the surprise , if it's bad then isn't it just going to worry you in advance despite the fact it's bollocks ?

fluffyraggies Wed 20-Mar-13 09:09:25

badvoc - yes exactly.

It doesn't mean people are simple to want to believe though.

Personally i'm on the fence. My common sense says there's nothing in it, but i've had experiences as a reader that i cant explain. Hence giving it up!

I think clairvoyants and mediums are just manipulative snakes who prey on vulnerable people. They probably convince themselves of their gifts an' all but at bottom they're no better than loan sharks and they're all going straight to hell.

My cousin's just married one actually. She's set up some kind of gypsy caravan affair in their garden and invites people in to speak to their dead family. She's teaching their 7yo son about how dead people hang around to pass on messages hmm

That's aimed at people who take money from desperate grieving people by the way.

OnwardBound Wed 20-Mar-13 09:12:19

Buddy, you have very strong, black and white opinions on this.

Perhaps we just have to agree to disagree.

But I still think to say clairvoyants are scum and people who go to them are simple is more than a little rude.

fluffyraggies Wed 20-Mar-13 09:13:52

And pavlov yes, people look for credibility in a reader by their ability to tell them what has already happened.

What people want though, is a window into what is going to happen. Or a connection with a loved one passed over.

It's a huge responsibility taking on a persons hopes and fears like this. IME even the most sceptical sitter, coming in for a laugh, will often, deep down, take what they are told very seriously.

Most people are very vulnerable in this situation.

Of course YANBU - it is your money and you can do with it what you like.

I am open minded, have been to a few readings, some good, some bad. Just don't hang onto every word they say - take a pad and write stuff down as some stuff they tell you may not be applicable now but will mean something a while down the line.

I have one thing about me that every single reading I have ever had pick up on hmm

What do you know about the Clairvoyant? That is pretty expensive for a reading. Have others recommended them?

I wouldn't go and see anyone who someone else hadn't checked out first. You go on positive word of mouth. I only saw one years and years ago and she gave me a cassette tape. Not much made a lot of sense at the time apart from she got my future husband's name right first time (i'd just met him) but then i listened to the tape a couple of years later and it was pretty spot on, even naming a boss i was friendly with at the time who i ended up getting a transfer away from after a big fall out!

I have heard of one who is supposed to be excellent and she no whre near charges that amount.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ginmakesitallok Wed 20-Mar-13 09:16:14

But why on earth would you pay someone to tell you what has happened in your life and what was going on now??? Surely you already know that stuff?

I had a go at giving cold readings for fun once, because I've always enjoyed sitting in the background and watching people and their interactions to each other.

It's surprisingly easy to make people believe you are incredibly accurate.

scottishmerlottish Gypsies are no more accurate than anyone else. I ad a gypsy come to the door selling some lovely lace stuff and I bought some. As she left she said to me I'd get married soon and have 4 lovely sons.

Well, DP and I are 26 years into our relationship and marriage was never on the cards, and I have a DD and DS and do not intend to have any more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now