Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Would you give directions to someone in a car?

(115 Posts)
kim147 Tue 19-Mar-13 11:33:09

Petrol station on way to an appointment was shut yesterday afternoon so I drove to the next town thinking there's be a garage. Saw someone walking her dog so I pulled over, opened window and smiled nicely with an "excuse me, please". She looked at me and then carried on walking.

Luckily someone a bit further up the road was more helpful.

I'm sure I seemed friendly when I said "excuse me"

Owllady Wed 20-Mar-13 17:47:47

wasn't it lee evans who did a sketch about why was it when you stopped and asked for directions you always asked the village idiot?

lljkk Netherlands Wed 20-Mar-13 17:53:41

A few times I have been flagged to give someone directions on a car, but when I approached & often after I politely gave directions, I was verbally abused or mocked. It's very strange, a new game for young men especially, maybe. It's made me wary.

Few flashers, too, but I can report their license plates, at least.

ToomuchWaternotWine Wed 20-Mar-13 18:01:21

I was flashed by a guy on the platform of the tube when I was working in London (a young looking early twenty something). He leered and said "what do you think of that then, darlin'," I replied in my most bored, loud, posh scots clipped tones "looks like a penis, only much smaller" he slunk off and I got a round of applause from the people standing near me

One of my finest moments grin <bows>

Oblomov Wed 20-Mar-13 18:12:19

I would and always have and always will , give directions. I have never had a bad experience.

MsWetherwax Wed 20-Mar-13 18:46:21

I would, and do, give directions, but always stand well back and am especially wary of vans with sliding doors after a good friend of mine was grabbed through one and gang raped whilst giving directions to the driver. sad

Moominsarehippos Wed 20-Mar-13 18:50:29

I would but I would probably give very long, garbled instructions (including gems like 'turn left where the wool shop used to be'), then realise I'd pointed them in the wrong direction.

I give directions to drivers looking for the golf course. They drive to the village and then appear surprised that the golf course isn't actually in the middle of the village itself and is about 2 miles away.

Tanith Wed 20-Mar-13 21:18:54

Oh Grimbletart, what an absolute gift grin

Catchingmockingbirds Wed 20-Mar-13 21:27:45

toomuch what a great reply!

msweatherwax that is awful, were the men ever caught?

iheartdusty Wed 20-Mar-13 21:31:14

I was giving directions to driver when I was 16 when his mate came round behind me and pushed me into the back seat and they started to drive off. I got out somehow. Didn't get the numberplate, couldn't identify the car.

so many others on this thread with similar experiences.

so many others without such experiences who sneer.

MsWetherwax Fri 22-Mar-13 21:23:09

Catchingmockingbirds - no, they weren't. And she was a streetwise girl too. Unsuprisingly she has never quite recovered. sad

ToomuchWaternotWine Sun 24-Mar-13 18:09:41

Oh that is just terrible, MrsW, so sorry for our friend. Has she had help/counselling?

ToomuchWaternotWine Sun 24-Mar-13 18:10:04

your not our, obv. Damn ipad.

FreudiansSlipper Sun 24-Mar-13 18:19:39

Seemed to be a popular past time in the 80's for men to have a wank while asking for directions happened to me and most my friends

I think I probably apologised for interrupting him would never have been so assertive to throw a can of coke at him I would now

Yes I would give directions they probably wished they had not bothered asking i am rubbish at giving them though have a good sense of direction myself

FreudiansSlipper Sun 24-Mar-13 18:20:57

sorry my last post in bad taste after reading MsW's that is terrible sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now