Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Would you give directions to someone in a car?

(115 Posts)
kim147 Tue 19-Mar-13 11:33:09

Petrol station on way to an appointment was shut yesterday afternoon so I drove to the next town thinking there's be a garage. Saw someone walking her dog so I pulled over, opened window and smiled nicely with an "excuse me, please". She looked at me and then carried on walking.

Luckily someone a bit further up the road was more helpful.

I'm sure I seemed friendly when I said "excuse me"

WorraLiberty England Tue 19-Mar-13 12:44:50

*his car

'Tis a common ruse! Have been caught out by flashers 'asking for directions' a few times. I seem to have been flashed a lot

Still give directions tho - if I can that is, I've got no sense of direction in towns. Fine in open countryside tho, maybe I was a pigeon in a previous life. grin

StuntGirl Tue 19-Mar-13 16:19:50

Maybe she's had a bad experience with it before? Maybe she's deaf? Maybe she has anxiety? Maybe she doesn't like talking to strangers? Maybe she had headphones on?

I'd probably be a bit annoyed but its not the end of the world.

limitedperiodonly Tue 19-Mar-13 16:27:14

My mum loves to give directions when she visits me. We have a lot of tourists round here and she's proud to help. Unfortunately she gets mixed up. I chased one poor soul going for an interview who she'd sent in the wrong direction.

Apart from that, I like to think that lots of tourists have had their best accidental finds because they've followed the instructions of a well-meaning but muddled old lady.

BTW she has no sinister ulterior motive grin

piprabbit Tue 19-Mar-13 16:30:54

I used to often get asked for directions by confused pedestrians as I walked to work in the City. I have been known to say 'follow me' if they looked especially bemused (or I caught them trying to head off in the opposite direction to where I'd told them) and actually take them to their destination.

I always try, if I know where they need to go. If not I direct them to the nearest shop or post office to ask further directions.

The other week a massive articulated continental lorry stopped and the driver asked directions. He was facing completely the wrong way so I blithely told him he needed to turn around and head back to the dual carriageway.
The look he gave me was quite withering as there was no way on earth he was going to be able to turn around on our road.

gazzalw Tue 19-Mar-13 16:51:47

I'd be dubious. Someone we know was giving directions, the guy assaulted her trying to get her handbag and she ended up with a broken leg, lying on the ground for ages before anyone found her ;-(!

GemmaTeller Tue 19-Mar-13 16:58:14

Yes, but put the dog between me and the car smile

We always get asked where the same garden centre is (and by the time they are near our road they are miles away ) as soon as the car slows down DH says under his breath 'is xxxx garden centre round here?'

expatinscotland Tue 19-Mar-13 17:04:56

No, and I've taught my children to never do this. Keep walking, looking ahead and say, 'NO!'

It's a way to abduct people.

Ditto on foot, pickpocket gangs use this ruse.

If they are in a car they can stop in a petrol garage and ask in there.

BellaVita Tue 19-Mar-13 17:33:47

Worra & WhenSheWasBad

shock

The same happened to me too. I was about 12 (think Yorkshire Ripper Time). Where I lived was in the middle of where he used to strike and where he lived. It certainly looked like him when I think back.

BellaVita Tue 19-Mar-13 17:34:45

In fact he asked me to get in the car and show him the way to where he wanted to go. I bloody shiver now thinking about it.

backonlybriefly99 Tue 19-Mar-13 18:15:33

Why would someone want directions? In the old days yes, but now you have satnav in your car or google maps for your phone or you google it and get directions before you go out. Do people really leave home not knowing where they are going? The last trip I made to a new place I used Streetview to stand outside it so I'd recognise the building when I got there.

Because I walk a lot it seems like I get asked nearly every day and I never know the answer anyway. I didn't grow up in this area and play in the streets. My friends and family are all in my old area. So even though I've been here years I know the names of my road, the main road where the shops are and the bus/train stations.

I keep promising myself that I'm going to say "Google it" to the next person who stops me.

lainiekazan Tue 19-Mar-13 18:23:09

I give directions and ask for them. Asked a load of Burberry-clad lads in Leeds once in my embarrassingly vair poshe southern voice how to get to Caarrstleford. They were most obliging and couldn't have been more helpful.

I too had the "nasty man" incident when I was a teenager. Stopped and asked me for directions and as I stepped towards his car he swung the door open.

I wouldn't do as expat does and teach my dcs to say "No!" though. It's one thing children declining to assist, but for adults to refuse to help is depressing.

ComposHat Belgium Tue 19-Mar-13 18:47:26

I have an awful sense of direction so when stopped I tend to say sorry not from round here myself. A terrible lie but better than sending them all round the houses.

DawnOfTheDee Tue 19-Mar-13 18:52:17

backonlybriefly99 Not everyone has satnav or a smartphone tbh. And if they do sometimes they're not accurate/don't work. If you're in a town you don't know sometimes it's easier to just ask.

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 19-Mar-13 18:56:54

Yes, but for some reason the only time I ever get asked is when I am visiting somewhere unfamiliar and haven't got a clue.

I am also not good with directions as I do not know my left from my right and have no spatial awareness, so ask me at your own risk!

skratta Tue 19-Mar-13 19:00:30

I had something similar Worra sad I noticed half way through and kind of stopped/froze. He grinned. I just ran off. It was about eight years ago so I wasn't even particularly young but my then 5yo DTDs were walking up ahead, I'd told DH to go on and I'd catch him up thankfully. I loved where I was (Ilford area) but it was really shocking! Sometimes I wonder if he asked me because of the DTDs. I reported it to the police a bit after, and he'd been arrested the day after he stopped me.

Nirvana1999 Tue 19-Mar-13 19:01:20

When I was about 18 a car pulled up with a French couple inside asking for directions to a local hotel. After 10 mins of a difficult language barrier and me trying to do an impression of a set of traffic lights I ended up getting in the car and showing them exactly where it was. Very stupid thing to do but they were lovely.

RevoltingPeasant Tue 19-Mar-13 19:15:24

Worra, is it terrible that I find it hilarious (in a way) that he had to point it out?

I am imagining the AIBU now, by CreepyBloke: 'Today I was trying to frighten a young girl by wanking at her in my car but she didn't notice and kept giving me directions to the next LittleChef. I had to point out my cock to her, as it was so pathetic she hadn't seen it blush WWYD?'

Pretty sad/ shocked at people who tell their children to shout 'no' at people who are lost, though. How horrible. My parents always raised me to be cautious but also to help people who needed it. And if you really can't bear them helping a lost stranger, can't you teach them to be polite about it, as in saying they're not from around here or something?

I hope that one day when your DD is lost in a strange town someone is kinder to her, that's all!

I can understand the telling children to be very brusque, to the point of rudeness tbh.

I certainly wouldn't stop in my car and ask a child directions - or if I did I wouldn't be surprised if they ignored me.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

digerd Tue 19-Mar-13 19:38:25

Laughing at the wankers, which reminded me of my teenage years, but they weren't in cars, they were on tube stations, streets and behind a newsparer sitting on the tube!! In my day we had more flashers than wankers though, those wearing raincoats, who opened them infront of you .
Hilarious.
And one in the maze of subways at the Elephant & Castle when I was 18, suddenly appeared with trousers by his ankles wanking and asking me ' how about it then, that he had a rubber'
I just laughed and told him NO, and to put it away, which I had to say a few times. Nobody else around in those days, but I was a confident teenager and could tell he was no threat.

exoticfruits Tue 19-Mar-13 19:39:27

Of course. I was once very irritated because we stopped to ask 2 12 year olds on bikes, there was no one else around. One of them just said 'I'm not allowed to talk to strangers' and walked off.
At 12 years of age I would have thought that her mother might have taught her to risk access. The car was full, we were going on holiday. We had my DH and me in the front, a baby, a toddler, both in car seats, and a 10yr old in the back-what on earth did they think we could do?! Added to that they were on bikes. Common sense should have told her that it was OK. As it turned out all she needed to say was 'just go a bit further on and it is on the left'.

digerd Tue 19-Mar-13 19:39:36

ps
newspaper.

Wolfcub Tue 19-Mar-13 19:43:51

I would. However, a man once tried to pull me into his car using this as a ruse so I would be cautious and would stand well back from the windows and doors as a result

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now