To use a buggy...for a 16 week old....(help please)

(48 Posts)
whimsicalmess Thu 07-Mar-13 12:12:56

Obviously in normal circumstances I would never even think of it....
However, I live in the top floor flat and there is no elevator.
this means carrying a huge, cumbersome pram up 3 sets of stairs , at least 4 times a day.
Everyday I am limping because I bang myself all the way up and down, I'm hyper mobile too so my joints get a good hammering.
Also its very dangerous one slip and I've broken my neck alone with no-one to help me and don't even want to think what would happen to my baby.
I have a 3 year old who I have too,
I can't leave the pram outside my door, call the midwife esque - because some of my neighbors have dubious behavior and drug habits and it would probably get stolen,
After my second week in a row off limping and the other night I was wincing everytime I moved, urgh.
I just thought sod it! I'm using a buggy. But I know its not appropriate and I am scared of judgement tbh. But they do lay flat?

WIBU to use a buggy?

Living Thu 07-Mar-13 12:15:07

You can get ones which are suitable from birth. But why even use a buggy - sling would be even easier surely

Techno XT lies flat, is suitable from birth and is a good, strong padded buggy. No one would judge you for that smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-Mar-13 12:15:57

Depends on the buggy, what's the age recommendation? Have you thought about using a baby carrier or a sling instead?

Flossbert Thu 07-Mar-13 12:16:56

Thirding the sling idea

wreckedone Thu 07-Mar-13 12:17:47

Sling would probably be even easier, but if that's not for you, then use a buggy-lots of them lay completely flat now. And to be fair, at 16wks my lad was sitting up in his, not lying down anyway.

N0tinmylife Thu 07-Mar-13 12:17:59

I wasn't aware buggy's were not appropriate. I used one when DS was tiny, so no I don't think YABU. Why would it be a problem?

Haberdashery Thu 07-Mar-13 12:22:21

I used a lie flat buggy from ten weeks because I was sick to death of the stupid pram. YANBU as long as the buggy is suitable for that age.

sleepsforwimps2010 Thu 07-Mar-13 12:23:20

i love my baby jogger city mini! it lies flat so is suitable from birth, folds/ opens with one hand and is really light!
i picked it up from ebay really cheap! and would def recommend.

AntAndDecFan Thu 07-Mar-13 12:28:00

Dd has been in a buggy from that age, a cossato one that lays flat. My pram was far too heavy and it was a nightmare getting it in and out of the car!

She preferred being in the buggy anyway, she could see the world smile

EskSmith Thu 07-Mar-13 12:28:55

In your situation I'd go with the lightest lie flat buggy you could find. I agree with those who have suggested a sling but understand that they are not for everyone, although perhaps a sling would be helpfuk even if you just use it to carry your baby upstairs, leaving hands free for the buggy & toddler.

Please don't carry the pram up & down with your baby in it sad

PatriciaHolm Thu 07-Mar-13 12:31:45

Buggies are entirely appropriate, loads of people use them from birth!

whimsicalmess Thu 07-Mar-13 12:32:38

It would be a forward facing buggy,like a stick one but the back goes pretty flat.
I thought it was pram all the way until they were like 6 months at least?
, my eldest was in until 5 months he got too big. It does lie flat though, I would put a raincover on and used the top bit as like a peephole.
regarding a sling
he's 16 + pounds now and can be a good hour walk, it wouldn't do my back any good. Plus in colder weather I like the 'added' protection being in something.

ErikNorseman Thu 07-Mar-13 12:34:03

Wtf is wrong with using a buggy? I used a MacLaren from birth, it laid flat and said it was suitable from birth confused

GirlOutNumbered Thu 07-Mar-13 12:34:14

er.... whats the problem? No way did my son want to lie flat at 16 weeks. I wasnt aware that he was not supposed too.

I would recommend a sling though, then no carrying.

There are loads of buggies that are suitable from birth. I'd buy a coccon/foot muff type thing to keep baby warm, and get a buggy with a 'window' in the hood so you can see the baby easily.

A sling would be even easier - but maybe having hypermobility doesn't work well with a sling? (naive on this subject)

BabyMakesTheBellyGoRound Thu 07-Mar-13 12:36:10

I certainly wouldn't judge you for using a buggy. Go ahead,loads are suitable from birth.

whimsicalmess Thu 07-Mar-13 12:39:19

I must live on a different planet , I see prams everywhere.

I thought like putting a baby in a buggy before 6 months was like a mortal sin!

{{http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQu5L2VXvwk-AmSz3SqHoI8Vzp7_zjnzrOnUQOhKuYIUmbavgeGxqOpA}}

this is the sort of model I mean, the back goes down pretty flat.

whimsicalmess Thu 07-Mar-13 12:39:39

I'm hypermobile and have a Baby Jogger City Mini and an Ergo sling - DS is 22mo and I can still take him out for the day in the sling.

I think a lie-flat buggy will be fine, maybe get a sheepskin liner for it as well, DS has been very comfy on his.

I never even had a pram for dd and she went in the lie flat pushchair or in the car seat bit of the travel system.

whimsicalmess Thu 07-Mar-13 12:46:21

where do all you people live! I never see tiny babies in buggies aha.

BabyMakesTheBellyGoRound Thu 07-Mar-13 12:47:00

That looks fine. Are there a lot of eastern European people around you? My polish friends cannot understand using buggies. They say everyone uses a pram until the child can walk reliably.

Xiaoxiong Thu 07-Mar-13 12:47:54

I never had a pram for DS either. Used a BJCM from birth with a fleece cosy (which reclines pretty much flat, I think it's something like 160 degrees?) and a moby wrap moving to a Boba when he got big enough.

It did seem a bit silly that I was worrying about my BJCM reclining flat when the GP was simultaneously telling us to angle the head of the cot/moses basket when he had a runny nose.

TheSeniorWrangler Thu 07-Mar-13 12:49:46

never used a pram with my youngest, she was in a double buggy that lay flat, and then my maclaren quest which is good from 3mo+

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now