To ask if you'd rather live in a massive house in a crap location, good-sized house in a good-ish location or diddly house in a fantastic location?

(144 Posts)
Beepbeep1 Tue 05-Mar-13 19:33:06

First of all let me just make clear I'm very blessed to have a house at all! And very grateful. I know people have bigger 'problems' - this is just a lighthearted thread really.

I'd bet we'd all probably like to live in a massive house in a fantastic area - but that's reserved for people with a lot more money than my family.

At the moment we live in a good sized house in an goodish area but I'd absolutely LOVE to live in a quaint little village...it's a long-time fantasy. However on our budget it would be a diddly (quite crap) house. And DH would be very, very reluctant to downsize. I wouldn't mind so much.

We have good schools, little crime, nice community etc but the suburbs just make me feel a bit sad. I don't think I'll ever really properly love it. Does anyone love where they live? Or is the grass always greener?

We have one DS and another on the way though so I suppose things like a nice big garden are important - again, wouldn't get that in the posh village.

What are everyone else's preferences?

Weeeell, we have a great (old) house in a 'good' location (low crime, good High Street, good state schools, great motorway/train links to the rest of the world), but very, very boring suburban location grin.

I agree with old 'location, location, location' adage if you are looking for a house that must (at least) keep its value if a further move is on the cards. However, if like for us, the house is a forever-house, then it does not matter quite so much.

I happen to like semi-rural/suburban life and the fact we have masses of space, can walk everywhere and much as there is an active community here, the place is big enough that not everybody knows everybody's business wink.

I sometimes wander around, admiring the stained glass windows and wood panelling, and I still cannot believe that I live in a house like this. Personally, I would not swap it for a lesser place in a 'better' location. DH might.

I am not moving again until I go into sheltered housing btw.

Horses for courses, methinks.

Icelollycraving Tue 05-Mar-13 20:01:27

Well,the sensible option would be the middle of the road. Small but somewhere fabulous,vibrant & fun pre dc. Sensible with dc.
I currently live in the ghetto according to a thread last week.

Owllady Tue 05-Mar-13 20:02:23

I rent Father Ted Crilly's house in a good location for us

Moominsarehippos Tue 05-Mar-13 20:02:29

Location. We are teensy but in a lovely area. We have huge parks, nice shops, libraries with books in them and the bins are emptied every day.

Beepbeep1 Tue 05-Mar-13 20:04:58

I want the village gastro pub sad

FamiliesShareGerms Tue 05-Mar-13 20:06:27

Though in practice we have tended to buy the good ish house inn the good ish area.

Once tried the bigger house in a crap area and we were so desperately miserable there we moved quite quickly even though we lost money

disclaimer, just because it was crap for us I'm not saying it would be crap for everyone!

Owllady Tue 05-Mar-13 20:06:28

bins are emptied everyday?
not fortnightly?grin

AngryFeet Tue 05-Mar-13 20:07:01

We have based all our moves on school catchments. We are currently in the middle of purchasing a smallish house that needs to be completely redecorated because it is just around the corner from a very good secondary. We live in Croydon and good secondaries are hard to come by so this has to be the deciding factor for us. When decorated and hopefully extended in time it will be a lovely house.

Here it is http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40161755.html

AngryFeet Tue 05-Mar-13 20:07:12
exoticfruits Tue 05-Mar-13 20:07:16

Location, location, location-every time.

Beepbeep1 Tue 05-Mar-13 20:08:52

Ooh perfect doer-upper Angry!

we have a teeny tiny gorgeous ancient cottage in about the best location in the world.

We are about to build some more house here because we couldn't bear to move!

Viviennemary Tue 05-Mar-13 20:09:09

It's all compromise. I certainly wouldn't live in a tiny house so I could move to the trendiest village around. But location is important. As even in a recession prices will hold better in good locations.

NumericalMum Tue 05-Mar-13 20:09:14

We have a large house but in an area most people wouldn't want to stay in!

Silly really as we lived in a gorgeous shoebox in a trendy location. We were burgled and had our car broken into a few times. Here it is very quiet in comparison, crime is about the same and as we had no hope of getting into the naice schools in either location due to minute catchments so that was never a factor.

We are minutes away from DC's (fee paying) school and minutes from several transport links. That was my only search factor, commuting time!

The area borders 3 much nicer areas so I think it could improve. We also had to buy a wreck fixer-upper!

HollyBerryBush Tue 05-Mar-13 20:09:51

Let me think about this - my cousins diddy 4 bed terrace in Ladbroke grove, Notting Hill worth 4million or my diddy South Outter London subirbian semi, worth about a 10th of that.

I'd take his 4mill pad with civilised neighbours any day of the week. Not that my neighbours are uncivilised but you get the drift.

Always buy what you can afford in a good location, coz if you buy big in a bad location, you'll never get your money back

AngryFeet Tue 05-Mar-13 20:12:00

That's the plan beepbeep. Just waiting for the slow solicitors to get on with their bloody job and we might be in by Easter smile

FellNel Tue 05-Mar-13 20:14:06

It depends on how diddy. I wouldn't live in a house that was so small and inappropriate for our needs that it depressed me and stressed me to be there, no matter good the location was. I suppose I would plump for number 2. A sensible compromise.

There is no way I'd live somewhere totally crap for all the space in the world though.

thesnootyfox Tue 05-Mar-13 20:14:42

It sounds like you are in a good location with a good house. I wouldn't give that up lightly.

What do you mean by suburbs? And why does it make you sad?

I personally wouldn't want to live in a village with children. Getting in a car all the time isn't much fun and teenagers won't thank you for it.

BabyRoger Tue 05-Mar-13 20:17:52

We had the exact same problem! We decided to go with a biggish house in an ok location. The lovely village is only 5 mins up the road but the same house there would be WAY out of our price range.

I have two young kids and they really need the space and garden.

I am really happy in our house and the area is nice enough and on the edge of a nice country park but I would love to live in the lovely village. House size won out for us though.

I am happy enough though as I moved from a teeny house in a shit area!

NumericalMum Tue 05-Mar-13 20:17:58

Angry feet I think you may be my bil's nearly neighbour!

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Tue 05-Mar-13 20:18:01

sheilathegreat we did that too, very happy for 8 years or so. I suppose it's what you consider to be crap though, isn't it?

I read once that the happiest people are those who are relatively richer than the people they live near. Makes sense.

I now live in the country and l like it just as much as my 'poorer' area.

NotHerRealname Tue 05-Mar-13 20:18:58

Well I live in a small 3 bedroom house in a crappish location.
This used to make me unhappy until I woke up and realised that

a) I am lucky to own a house at all, let alone one big enough for my needs.
b) The area is ok, just a bit scruffy
c) the people here are nice, crime is fairly low and its all fine.

I was born and raised in a quaint village in a large four bedroom, huge rambling garden and it was fab. Due to our income, this will never be an option for us. I have really struggled to get my head around this, but I am getting there!
Its hard though when I am such a raving snob [big grin]

Beepbeep1 Tue 05-Mar-13 20:19:47

Ooh lovely Angry! Good luck in your new home smile.

Moominsarehippos Tue 05-Mar-13 20:20:29

I suspect the neighbours in Ladbroke Grove (oops, Kensington North) will be a tad on the uncivilised side... It's still a bit ruff ruff there, even with a 4mil price tag! My friend was brought up there in a massive detached house and said it was like a war zone. Sadly the prices have shot up because people move in thinking that it is 'trendy Notting Hill' (even though it was a bit rough and ready when I moved there in the 1990s) and expect to see Julia Roberts tripping along Portobello.

OrWellyAnn Tue 05-Mar-13 20:21:56

Live in a lovely house in a fantastic hamlet, no street lights, no shop and the post office is once a week in the local farmers front room. Garden is huge for the kids. We swapped from a semi in the 'burbs...the catch? We rent. Couldn't afford to own this in a million years. Have probs destroyed chances of owning a decent house in our dotage...but my kids are having the moSt excellent country upbringing, which is what I've always dreamed of, so to me at least, it's worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now