Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To get my face peirced?

(116 Posts)
coughingbean Tue 05-Mar-13 18:43:29

First I would like to say if you hate peircings regardless of age/gender etc please do not just say " no I hate them" or words to that effect as I am looking for unbiased opinions.
Ok, So I am 29 and have blue hair, usually red or some other 'interesting colour' I dress fairly conventional unless I am going out in an evening and then it is mostly 50's or Rockabilly.
In my teenage years I had both my lip and nose peirced and have now come to miss them!
Would I look really silly to get one or the other redone? If not which one?
My family seem to not like the idea and I would quite like to gather some other opinions.
Cheers!

Oh apologies for shit spelling and grammer as I am on my phone and it has no spell check blush

Titchyboomboom Wed 06-Mar-13 13:43:45

Do it!!! I have lip pierced and loooove it...

BinksToEnlightenment Wed 06-Mar-13 13:18:10

It is a very slight slur that is barely noticeable, but it makes perfect sense that a heavy bar through the tongue would impair speech.

coughingbean Wed 06-Mar-13 10:49:36

To the posters who mention job security/interviews etc. I always research the dress code, take peircings out and dye my hair a more sedate colour when interviewing.
If I am sucsessfull in an interview I always then ask my line manager if they are acceptable.
If not then I look forward to the weekends! grin

StuntGirl Wed 06-Mar-13 10:06:06

Binks the gauge should be appropriate to the piercing and the anatomy, not just always 'done small'. Smaller gauge piercings can cause a 'cheese wire' effect if they're an inappropriate size.

And not everyone with a tongue piercing slurs or gets a lisp! In fact I don't know a single person who does. Maybe it just didn't suit your anatomy or was the wrong size so caused you some problems?

olgaga Wed 06-Mar-13 09:59:33

Buzz grin yes, I always thought being an individual is about not following trends!

WhatsTheBuzz Wed 06-Mar-13 09:51:50

'everyone can be individual' - ha, love it.

I had various parts of my face pierced until I realised how boring they were!

I quite like piercings, have my belly done...but personally I don't like facial piercings. Ok, the ones on the nose and eye brow are ok but people seem to then them done on their lips and below their lips......dont like them at all.

If you want it done though go for it. Will it be ok for your job?

Thewhingingdefective Wed 06-Mar-13 09:39:56

Dyed! Not died.

Thewhingingdefective Wed 06-Mar-13 09:27:42

I am 34 and just recently had my hair cut very short and died red and started wearing my punky and Mod clothes again after feeling very frumpy for a number of years. I personally wouldn't have a facial piercing because I couldn't carry it off, but if you think you can then go for it. At 29 you are not too old.

I much prefer piercings to tattoos.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Wed 06-Mar-13 09:24:34

It leaves all sorts of damage, the gun. Mine was done with a gun, even though they advertised using a needle and like the dumb kid I was then I let them do it.

One of the reasons I had mine redone was to cover the scar, admins used to bleed very occasionally for a good 10 years after it was done.

When mine was done yesterday I had to suffer the indignity of a finger up my nose so the piercer could see how bad the scar tissue was grin I am lucky as I got of likely but the piercer still had to really push the needle through the gristle left behind from the shattering effect of the gun.

However, unlike the gun, it didn't hurt at all, and looks fine. No redness, swelling or discomfort smile

olgaga Wed 06-Mar-13 09:01:01

Work is fine. I work in a library

If I worked in a library, I'd be looking at what I'll do if my library closed or outsourced.

343 libraries (298 buildings and 45 mobiles) are currently under threat or have been closed or left council control since 1 April 2012.

Don't be complacent about your job security, and don't imagine for a moment that it'll be an easy matter getting another job at age 29 with "interesting" hair and facial piercings.

BrokenBritain Wed 06-Mar-13 08:44:14

Hotpink - it was done with a gun, a normal ear piercing one with a full on butterfly on the inside. When it got infected the stud got embedded in my nose and the dodgy barbers where I'd had it done had to shove pliers up my nose to get the butterfly out.
So I would deffo recommend going to a proper piercing studio op!
Scumbag - thanks, will give that a go. It's not really bothering me other than just baffled as to why after all these years its suddenly playing up.

threebats Wed 06-Mar-13 08:13:36

Are you afraid of how others will perceive you if you go ahead and have this done? If so then I would say, how others perceive you is their problem. You can't read a book by its cover and yet we all, on occasion, judge a person by their look. I suppose its human nature.
You can't live your life worried all the time about how others perceive you.
You're young enough to pull the look off but old enough to know what you are doing. Go ahead and do it if you want to. Let other people worry about how they feel about it. As long as you are happy with how you look - confidence comes from being happy with ourselves smile

I don't think piercings on their own (like tatts) are "edgy" or alternative anymore, but as part of a look they are most definitely. I don't have any body mods at the moment, but my hair is my hobby. I have a side-cut, and undercut and it's bright blue. I usually wear dreads as well, and I have a new set to put in tomorrow...YAY!

ScumbagCollegeDropout Wed 06-Mar-13 07:37:31

Broken Try a Sea Salt Soak if you haven't already. Hope it clears up soon for you.

BinksToEnlightenment Wed 06-Mar-13 07:20:20

I say go for it. You only live once. The sooner you get it done, the sooner you have a piercing you can leave out for the day if necessary.

The only things I would suggest are, having a narrower piercing with a smaller ring/bar/ball, and not getting your tongue pierced because it causes you to ever so slightly slur your words. It is practically unnoticeable, but I have inadvertently persuaded two people other than myself to remove theirs after pointing it out. I spent ten years tripping over my words and never realised why until I took it out.

coughingbean Wed 06-Mar-13 07:05:07

Thank you every one for you replies.
Some of you have made aome really interesting points and I appreciate all your comments.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Wed 06-Mar-13 06:59:48

Broken. Was it pierced with a gun or a needle?

FaceLikeAPickledOnion Wed 06-Mar-13 06:30:22

Mechanical, a facial piercing with blue hair is not alternative/rock?
A piercing on its own, not, but combined with clothes and hairstyle it is.

StuntGirl Wed 06-Mar-13 02:22:00

While not as 'alternative' as they once were they're still not considered socially acceptable in many places. Many workplaces ban them and those who have them are still considered socially subversive/edgy/dangerous/teenage rebellion/unprofessional by many in society (and that's just taken from responses to this thread!)

Bogeyface Wed 06-Mar-13 02:06:40

I read this thread and remembered an episode of Phineas and Ferb that DS watched at the weekend. Candace said "Mum I need X! I need it to assert my individuality! All my friends have them!" grin

Tats, piercings, body art etc where very unique for a while but now they are "samey". I wouldnt do it because its not new or original anymore and if you need it to define who you are then you dont know who you are and a piercing wont change that.

I say this as someone with 2 tats and several piercings (that I have let heal).

MechanicalTheatre Wed 06-Mar-13 02:01:14

I can't believe how many people are saying piercings are alternative! I'd say more people have them than don't now. It's really not a alternative/rock look any more.

BrokenBritain Wed 06-Mar-13 01:51:05

Jesus, scabbing up, not stabbing up!

BrokenBritain Wed 06-Mar-13 01:50:22

Can I ask a piercing related question? I had my nose pierced over 16 years ago. Only had it for a month or so, it went horribly infected and I removed it. It healed up fine and since then there's been a tiny dot there but barely noticeable.
Until suddenly, for he last few weeks it's started bleeding and stabbing up, and looking all swollen. How weird is that, after 16 years?! Does anyone know why this might be happening or if it's normal?
Op sorry for that just had to throw it out there. In answer to your question I think if you want it go for it, life's too short. Get em both done!

Kytti Wed 06-Mar-13 01:42:57

... although I am a little concerned you said you wanted them to 'define' who you were. You'll still be you. They won't change your personality.

And I'm um... a lot older than all of you. I love my piercing but it doesn't define me as a person.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now