To HATE World Book day

(183 Posts)
CurlyRooth Mon 04-Mar-13 13:59:58

I love books, but I truly and utterly, really, really, REALLY hate World Book Day. I just see it as yet ANOTHER edict sent from above (i.e. 'well-meaning' schools) to make our lives as busy working parents the ultimate hell.

And it's the same old, same old every single blooming' year: a smattering of Harry Potters, a few shiny Cinderella's, and many more Where's Wally.

Time consuming, and tedious.

nailak Tue 05-Mar-13 20:32:35

Filly chucking a red hooded jumper and giving dd a basket, or sending a dd to school with a teddy bear is hardly "making" a costume! just creative use of what you already have at home!

madamehooch Tue 05-Mar-13 22:32:47

nickel - we've got 'The Hunt' and 'Girl Missing' as our two teen titles which can be purchased for a £1.00 or by exchanging your WBD voucher.

ZebraOwl Wed 06-Mar-13 01:30:51

DeWe - you don't want brown fabric for Len, that's the uniform in Tyrol, Guernsey & Britain; the Swiss branch are gentian blue... You could dress her as Len during the holidays with a simplish cotton frock though...

We had the Brownies come to a meeting dressed as favourite book characters when we were doing the Booklover Badge a couple of years ago. (Or rather, we gave them the option of doing that or coming in uniform as usual. And the Leaders dressed up too. I spent the meeting wandering about in a white tutu & discovering just how dirty the hall floor was...) We had some incredible-but-simple costumes: the ones that stick most in my mind are The Cat In The Hat (black leggings, black top, white gloves, tail made of stuffed tights, paper hat & a bit of facepaint) accompanied by Thing One & Thing Two (red leggings/tights, red top, pinned-on Thing!sign & incredible back-combed hair with spray-in blue colour). Jacqueline Wilson characters are generally good for getting away with wearing own clothes - mostly girls, but there are plenty of Incidental boys.

I think World Book Day is a brilliant idea, but making fancy dress for vegetables or having to turn your DD into a badger and/or getting next to no notice and/or feeling pressured to meet a certain standard/spend a certain amount is definitely not. Boo to that.

ThatBintAgain Wed 06-Mar-13 10:55:21

Hating it this year, just not organised. Anyone know of a shop selling a red and white striped jumper? I'm not even thinking about what my son's favourite book is, just what crap I can throw together... hmm

fedupofnamechanging Wed 06-Mar-13 11:15:38

I am reusing dd's Halloween costume and sending her as Meg from the Meg and Mog books. Unfortunately, I cannot find the hat, but we have a witch's dress, black tights etc.

nickelbabe Wed 06-Mar-13 11:18:23

madame - they're ones left over from previous years smile
(I'm relived, I thought I was missing out then!!)
I haven't got The Hunt, but I have got Girl, Missing.

nickelbabe Wed 06-Mar-13 11:18:35

relieved

nickelbabe Wed 06-Mar-13 11:23:23

ah, now when you say "we" then in that sentence - do you mean you work for them?
in that case, I understand.

Girl, Missing was one of the flip books from a couple of years ago, but I can't find record o the Hunt - so yes, I suppose they must have created their own teen books.
Which is actually fair enough, because there aren't any for teens in the official line-up this year.

MoreBeta Wed 06-Mar-13 11:36:57

I'm just about to endure my last ever World Book Day.

In its original form it was probably a good idea but in reality it is now just a great big book industry marketing excercise. Trolley loads of books get carted into school and the kids get herded in to choose one. I can buy my children books thank you I dont need the book industry to facilitate it for me by way of a fancy dress costume.

This year DS will be Robin Hood - mainly because the costume was already upstairs and he wants an excuse to take a great big sword into school. I stopped him short at an actual bow with a quiver full of arrows though. grin

BiddyPop Wed 06-Mar-13 11:40:05

Our school are in the middle of a 5 week shared reading programme for the lower half of the school (including lots of library openings for parents to help choose books). And they do tend to have lots of reading and discussions about books etc. And links to the 3rd level art college on their campus about books, films etc (Wallace and Grommit animators came to the college, and had a session in the primary school too, last term).

DD wants to dress up in shop bought things for Halloween, but invariably wants a more specific character from a book for WBD. So we've been Willy Wonka (chopped up a purple charity shop shirt I'd bought for material anyway, to form tailcoat, top hat made from card, and gold card "Golden Tickets", with a length of dowel with a handle stuck to the top as walking stick) and the Naughtiest Girl in the School (non-uniform school so I had to buy a uniform for that one - even headmistress still comments on that (nicely) as DD is VERY like Elizabeth Allen, always in trouble but never in a bold way (more asp/ADHD but some Eliz Al traits too). This year, she IS Harry Potter, but in Quidditch outfit - which is HM (own buff trousers, own red top with yellow ribbon safety pinned on, own proper shin guards over trousers, own not good shin guars (no ankle guards) on arms over top, cycling gloves - and I had to sew a basic red robe from leftover curtain material).

LittleMoosh Wed 06-Mar-13 11:43:06

Hate it, they should put a stop to this dressing up in school every year. I have 2 DS and can't afford to buy outfits for dressing up for a day each year! I am no good at creating my own outfits (never been the creative type) so this is a hugh pain in the for me. Plus my eldest (Y6) is quite big for his age so finding a "childs" dressing up outfit isn't the easiest. Boo. The schools should realise that not all parents have the money to make/buy outfits.

Galaxymum Wed 06-Mar-13 12:27:44

Aaargh DD decided at 8.35 this morning she WILL dress up and gave me a Rainbow Fairy book saying "I'm going to be Fern the Green Fairy tomorrow". Mad panic for me to find suitable green outfit. Thankfully found something - but I am glad she did come up with a character from a book she likes and not just a Disney character.

I excelled myself last year as she decided a week before to go as the penguin from Oliver Jeffers' Lost and Found. As you can tell, she's moved on to the dreaded Rainbow Magic books and now nothing else will do!

nickelbabe Wed 06-Mar-13 12:34:51

MoreBeta
"In its original form it was probably a good idea but in reality it is now just a great big book industry marketing excercise. Trolley loads of books get carted into school and the kids get herded in to choose one. "

well, a lot of parents can't buy their children books, so forgive me for getting angry with your comment, but you are out of line.

nickelbabe Wed 06-Mar-13 12:35:27

PS - it's not about getting the books into schools either, it's about getting the children into books.
angry

nickelbabe Wed 06-Mar-13 12:37:00

" I can buy my children books thank you I dont need the book industry to facilitate it for me by way of a fancy dress costume."
was the bit i was responding to.

My DS' love to read various books but not that keen on dressing up. DS3 (11) is really into WW II - perhaps could get a 2nd hand uniform from Prince Harry (!) shock

Other than that - stripey tops and go in as Horrid Henry.

Can't be arsed with it and really wish they wouldn't - maybe for the much younger ones only.

MoreBeta Wed 06-Mar-13 13:24:23

nickelbabe - yes yes I know that was the original idea but children can go to a library and as far as I am aware they dont actually give the books away to needy children. Its about selling books pure and simple and the book industry gears up for the event every year.

I have no problem with the original idea - just what the book industry has made it become.

fuzzpig Wed 06-Mar-13 13:30:11

Last year I dressed up as the very hungry caterpillar blush

DD's school didn't do anything last year so I assumed they wouldn't be dressing up this year - found out YESTERDAY that they are! <facepalm>

Obviously pretty limited due to time constraints but DD has opted for the witch from Room on the Broom - DH has made a broomstick and I am copying the animals onto card to stick onto it.

DD is really excited about getting the voucher - I get loads of books second hand from various sources so she virtually never gets to choose a brand new book herself.

nailak Wed 06-Mar-13 14:07:30

needy children get books from other places.

They also do get a free book. you give the voucher and you get a free book.

It is about instilling a love of reading.

nailak Wed 06-Mar-13 14:07:57

our school are doing a book swap, they are selling some of their un needed books for 20p and so on as well as book fair.

Sokmonsta Wed 06-Mar-13 14:25:41

I love the veggie idea too. However as this is my first world book day, with pfb in reception, I'm looking forward to making her the costume she wants.

However, in about 4 years time when I have 4 dc at school, I'll probably be tearing my hair out. At least the twins will always be able to go as topsy and Tim grin

madamehooch Wed 06-Mar-13 14:48:28

The idea of World Book Day is to switch children on to reading. The voucher enabling them to get a free book is one way to do this. The book industry backs this up by publishing the free books. They do not set down how the schools should celebrate World Book Day - this is down to the individual school.

Yes, the idea is that the children should preferably go to a bookshop to exchange their voucher for their free book rather than the schools exchanging mass vouchers and taking the books into the schools. Yes, there is a possibility that the child may see other books that they want in that shop. No, the parents do not have to buy them. They can take the children to the library to borrow the books, thus supporting libraries too.

Aside from the dressing up problems (again, down to the individual schools) I cannot see how exchanging a voucher for a free book can be anything other than beneficial for encouraging a child to start reading something new or for encouraging children to read at all.

nickelbabe Wed 06-Mar-13 14:57:56

MoreBeta
"nickelbabe - yes yes I know that was the original idea but children can go to a library and as far as I am aware they dont actually give the books away to needy children. Its about selling books pure and simple and the book industry gears up for the event every year."

yes they do. they give the books away to anyone who has a token

why don't you go to www.worldbookday.com and learn a bit about it?

the whole point of the token is that every child can have a book no matter how much money they have or haven't got

every child gets one because then every child is given the same opportunity to own a book of their own. And it means that no child is singled out as "needing extra help"

It's not the same as going to the library - I've just had athe head of one of our special schools in to collect some books - most of the kids at his school are looked after - that means that tehy don't live with their own parents, and they probably feel like nothing belongs to them.
the token means that they get to own something.

When I visited the school last year, we made them write their names in to the book they chose, because it was the best way to demonstrate to them that it was their book, that they owned it and that no one was going to take it back.

You surely don't have to walk a mile in someone else's shoes to see how this is a good thing?

nailak Wed 06-Mar-13 15:01:06

my dds nursery did do a mass exchange of tokens for books one year

madamehooch Wed 06-Mar-13 15:38:46

Here here nickel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now