WIBU to keep it??

(80 Posts)
clpsmum Sun 03-Mar-13 14:11:16

Was in Boots yesterday at one of the quite expensive make up counters. Spent quite a bit of money on three products. Got home and discovered one of my dc (who has SN) had not only stolen a bottle of perfume he'd also completely destroyed the box it was in.

Just called the store to tell them and ask whether i should return the perfume or pay for it. they were awful to me. I really feel like keeping the bloody perfume now.

cansu Sun 03-Mar-13 14:36:17

Personally I would send them a cheque for the amount and attach a letter explaining what happened. I would also express regret that you were treated in such a shoddy way and explain that you were trying to do the right thing by offering to pay over the phone. I would send this recorded delivery to cover yourself. I would draw attention to the fact that the counter staff referred to you as a 'thief' and ask how many thieves phoned up the shop when they got home and offered to pay for the item that hadn't even been missed? they sound total shits tbh

clpsmum Sun 03-Mar-13 14:37:07

Worra - she may well have said theft. Was so angry when I came off the phone and typed conversation as I remembered but she could've said theft.

pictish Sun 03-Mar-13 14:37:32

My ds2 shoplifted perfume from Next once. I discovered him clutching the red shiney box on the way home on the bus.

I think they're attracted to the packaging of perfume.

pictish Sun 03-Mar-13 14:38:38

Oh and OP...sod Boots. Keep it.

5madthings Sun 03-Mar-13 14:38:46

They are attracted to anything sdhiny thats not theirs as toddlers! Its very easily done op and many wouldn't have even phoned up smile

shockers Sun 03-Mar-13 14:40:45

There was a thread recently about how easy it is to 'shoplift' without meaning to. A lot of the posters on there were treated quite badly when they tried to return items too.

Idocrazythings Sun 03-Mar-13 14:40:48

Keep it and donate it to the next school tombola. You have enough on your plate without that sort of rudeness. And sure your child wouldn't have drunk it- perfume has a horrible taste.

pictish Sun 03-Mar-13 14:42:26

Yes..no hope of him 'downing the lot and getting poisoned'. The stuff tastes like shit.

5madthings Sun 03-Mar-13 14:46:41

You would think they wouldn't drink it but I caught ds4 trying to drink nail polish remover once...

DeepRedBetty Sun 03-Mar-13 14:50:06

Unless you've given them your name and address, second donating it to a raffle.

clpsmum Sun 03-Mar-13 14:50:59

It is a worry because he has a condition called PICA which is all tied in with his autism and it is basically eating non edible items!! I would hope he wouldn't drink it but you never know with him. Thank God he didn't drink it. It's worry enough he shoplifting without drinking it too!

clpsmum Sun 03-Mar-13 14:52:41

I'm really tempted to hand it in to the additional needs nursery he goes to next time they're looking for raffle prizes actually. That's a great idea. It really does smell awful though which surprises me coz I love their make up but am put off their perfumes for life now!

EnjoyResponsibly Sun 03-Mar-13 14:52:51

Return it, including the box. Yiuve offered to pay and theyve declined, don make the offer again. They will have a write off procedure for damaged stock and can process it by that means.

By comparison a lady reversed her buggy in our shop and caught it on a top. To dislodge the buggy she just kept pulling the buggy backward. Cue large hole in the front of a £70 top. I saw her do it, there was nothing we could do except write it off.

RustyBear Sun 03-Mar-13 14:53:37

She may not have given her name and address, DeepRedBetty, but presumably that do now have her phone number....

RustyBear Sun 03-Mar-13 14:54:24

*they

clpsmum Sun 03-Mar-13 15:03:16

Didn't give my name or address but to be honest I will return it anyway just won't make an extra journey to do so. They'll get it back next time I have to head to shopping centre which won't be for a while.

HecateWhoopass Sun 03-Mar-13 15:42:50

Or post it back.

I wouldn't put myself in the position of having them talk to me like shit. you know that that's what they'll do.

You did not intentionally steal anything. You are not a thief. if they can treat you like one over the phone, you know they'll be vile in person.

I'd just protect myself from that humiliation by sending it recorded delivery and including a firm letter about how not to treat honest people who it is clear are trying to sort out something done accidentally.

CloudsAndTrees Sun 03-Mar-13 16:27:36

You can't return it, it's ruined! How can you honestly think you should be able to return something that your child destroyed? confused

Of course you have to pay for it!

Keep the box and take it with you when you go in to pay for it. Then you can donate it to whoever you like.

shinyblackgrape Sun 03-Mar-13 16:32:30

That is worrying re the PICA - thank goodness he didn't eat the cellophane from the box and choke

I would definitely put in the post with proof of delivery - you know it was accidentally taken without paying so it would be entirely wrong to keep it. Agree with the poster who said stick in a complaints letter if you can be bothered

Coconutty Sun 03-Mar-13 16:41:28

I would not return it if they were rude to me, would donate it to school fete or similar.

ChocolateCoins Sun 03-Mar-13 16:46:45

I used to work for boots and they always had the alarms on the doors turned off because the noise 'annoyed' the store manager. It was one of the huge flagship stores too. All the staff had to sign a thing every month about reducing theft ect. It made me so angry because we would all be made to spend ages putting security tags on things which were useless! And if the Manager actually had the alarms turned on, the amount of stolen things would have been reduced!

Sorry I know that had nothing to do with your post op but that might have been why the alarm didn't go off when you walked out. Sorry you were treated so badly. I would have kept it!

StuntGirl Sun 03-Mar-13 16:52:38

Email head office and complain. I can't stand shitty customer service.

Kat101 Sun 03-Mar-13 16:52:39

I think that if the store has the ruined item in their possession, they can get a refund against the cost (when they report their individual store accounts to head office). If there is no item they have to swallow the loss on their books.

Please do complain about it - I work for Boots and that is a million miles away from what should have happened to you. If you contact customer care (their number should be on the receipt) and tell them what happened they'll sort it for you and will also make sure that the store get the feedback too.

RedHotRudieParts Sun 03-Mar-13 17:15:07

Oh just keep it op, they were being arsey.

I have a 12 yr old with autism, he picks things up all the time, luckily i'm pretty used to it these days and check bags, his latest haul was a mini whisk with a chicken on top, a gun shaped tomato sauce dispenser and a flower shaped sponge, the guy on the till just laughed when I handed it over.

And to all those hmm faced ops, actually its pretty damn knackering doing the toddler years for 5 / 10 / 15 years longer than most and pretty easy to miss things when you're just trying to scrape through each day as best you can.

Wankers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now