Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to give the barman a tenner to buy something nice for his baby?

(44 Posts)
Reality Sat 02-Mar-13 12:18:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mononoke Sat 02-Mar-13 12:20:27

grin I think it was very sweet.

almostanotherday Sat 02-Mar-13 12:25:36

How very nice of you OP smile

LaFataTurchina Italy Sat 02-Mar-13 12:29:23

I also think it was sweet.

Plus, someone needs to start the new generation of lovely old ladies who give money for babies, otherwise once they are all gone there will be no one left to do it smile

Incidentally, I'm 25 but whenever I go home to Italy my many various great aunties etc. will still bung me the odd 20 euros 'for my studies'. I don't get offended, I think it's lovely smile

ProPerformer Sat 02-Mar-13 12:30:01

Well I think it was lovely! It's random acts of kindness like yours that can make people's day!

BambieO Sat 02-Mar-13 12:31:35

I am 27 and my nan still gives me £10 whenever I see her smile bless her she will never take no for answer

I think it was lovely of you!

WellSlapMyThighAndCallMeNancy Sat 02-Mar-13 12:33:16

What a lovely drunken guesture grin.

Crawling Sat 02-Mar-13 12:33:27

I think its lovely too.

MrsMushroom Sat 02-Mar-13 12:33:44

It's not silly it's nice! I used to constantly have elderly men and ladies putting pound coins on both DDs prams when they were new.

this was in a small Welsh village. It's an ancient tradition...something to do with warding off the Devil. I think the coins were silver in the old days though! You giving a tenner is lovely.

My DH had tips like that when he was a barman.

Flisspaps Sat 02-Mar-13 12:34:22

It was a perfectly reasonable and normal thing to do.

Random acts of kindness make the world a much nicer place.

Reality Sat 02-Mar-13 12:37:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dillydollydaydream Sat 02-Mar-13 12:43:47

I think it was very nice of you. The barman was giving you free drinks so I think you're even smile

FutTheShuckUp Sat 02-Mar-13 12:44:49

It was lovely

ENormaSnob Sat 02-Mar-13 12:50:55

I think it was a really nice thing to do.

minouminou Sat 02-Mar-13 16:28:02

We held DS' birthday in our village pub last year ('cos we're classy!). As we were packing up, an elderly Irish lady came in and sat at the bar (think she was a rellie of the landlord). After a few mins she asked to see the birthday boy and gave him a fiver....he couldn't quite believe it and gave her a huge hug. She was thrilled, and so was he.
Yeah - someone's got to provide the future with benevolent old birds......we need them.

AScorpionPitForMimes Sat 02-Mar-13 16:30:16

I think that was lovely, he will always remember you as that lovely drunk lady who paid for DC's sleepsuit

penelopepissstop Sat 02-Mar-13 18:54:59

I think that was a sweet act of human kindness.

somewherewest Sat 02-Mar-13 19:13:33

We did the same with a waiter once. We got chatting and found out he had a newborn at home. I think its a nice thing to do especially as babies bleed your wallet dry

Poppet48 Sat 02-Mar-13 19:19:01

YANBU, That was a lovely drunken thing to do OP grin

WilsonFrickett Sat 02-Mar-13 19:20:32

Luffly. I love drunk chat.

SirBoobAlot Sat 02-Mar-13 19:26:30

What a lovely act of drunken kindness, OP grin

I think it was a nice thing to do.

An older woman once gave DS 50p because she said he had made her smile more than she had in days.

Money doesn't buy happiness, but the gesture behind giving some away can sometimes make a huge difference smile

Allthingspretty Sat 02-Mar-13 19:34:01

Lovely thing to do. Mymum still givea money to people who have had a babu and if you give a purae as a present she and i put money in.

AScorpionPitForMimes Sat 02-Mar-13 20:05:48

Actually a woman once gave the DDs 50 p each because they got her the stuff she needed, from very low and very high shelves respectively, and she was feeling achy. I thought that was a lovely kind thing to do, since they'd happily have done it anyway!

It's just good to hear there are still nice people in the world.

WheresMrMonkey Sat 02-Mar-13 20:10:06

That was lovely!
We went to a wedding last year and a man who had had a few presed a £20 note into DDs palm. She was only 16 mo so just screwed it up. I tried to say take it back but he insisted, something I will always remember

YANBU....that's very sweet grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now