Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think teaching isn't the idea career for mums?

(217 Posts)
alisunshine29 Wed 27-Feb-13 14:25:10

I'm studying for a degree at the moment and had planned to complete my PGCE afterwards but since speaking to the mum of DD's friend I've changed my mind. She's a teacher at the same school as her daughters and they go to breakfast club from 8 and after school club til. 6. She said they are in bed for 7 and then she has a couple of hours more work to do every night, plus a days worth at the weekend. She gets to attend nativity etc but only because they're at the same school otherwise she'd miss those events. AIBU to think a 9-5 job might actually be more practical?

ReallyTired Mon 01-Jul-13 16:17:29

I think if I was going to retrain I would become a speech and language theraphist. There are some SLT term time only jobs with schools hours.

ReallyTired Mon 01-Jul-13 16:07:07

I think a lot depends on what kind of career you pick. Some jobs like say computer programming lend themselves to flexible working more than others.

"The best job in a school is being the receptionist. "

The best job is IT support in a school. You can get time off by flexible working. Ie. they want you to fix the server in the evening and only will give you off time in lieu. Alas my job no longer exists, but it was good while it lasted.

EarthtoMajorTom Sun 30-Jun-13 20:47:49

It's a crap job, you aren't paid anything like enough for the hours and during term time you have no weekends, your kids (depending on age) don't understand why you are at home yet still working and unable to give them attention, and I wish I'd never retrained to do it. Primary teaching especially is a job for young, single energetic people (and Heads like them because they are cheap).
The best job in a school is being the receptionist.
Yes I'm bitter.

AmberSocks Sun 30-Jun-13 20:36:13

dhs family are all teachers and from what ive seen its an awful job for parents,too much work for too little pay.

tourdefrance Sun 30-Jun-13 20:34:16

Lol at 25 days to take when I want. Yes for the first few years you can have off season holidays but once the dc are at school holidays are out of term only. As I explain to dc1 having a holiday in term time would just mean more time in a holiday club in the holidays. An extra unnecessary cost. Around here Supercamps runs in the summer only and all the other holidays are a juggling act of splitting leave, grandparents and all day play dates at friends houses.

Blu Sun 30-Jun-13 20:06:54

Perhaps it all depends on what career the Dad has?

What is the ideal career for Dads?

mirry2 Sun 30-Jun-13 19:58:07

Where are these non teaching jobs where you can choose your holidays without reference to the rest of the team you work with? Nearly everyone want to take holidays at Christmas, easter and during the summer holidays, when their children are on holiday - who can take which days has to be negotiated. I often lost out when i wanted to take time off to see a nativity play or a concert, simply because other members of the team wanted to take the same time off and we couldn't all be off at the same time

Salbertina Sun 30-Jun-13 19:36:49

Thanks, RT, yes have heard of those but nowhere near us and its filling say 4 weeks up of the 6 week hol which gets tricky.

ReallyTired Sun 30-Jun-13 19:31:05

Salbertina

There are plenty of high quality holiday schemes around the country like Barracudas or Supercamps that offer daycare during the holidays. The only problem is that it costs an absolute fortune.

Many people do not want to pay huge sums of money for a decent holiday camp for their children. Often it is not profitable to work holidays if you have two or more chidlren.

SprinkleLiberally Sun 30-Jun-13 18:44:56

I know dozens of people in well paid 9 to 5 jobs and am married to one too. I know three people who routinely work longer than that but they all earn £100k plus so a bit different.
I am secondary and work every night and weekend, as do most colleagues with a couple of subject specific exceptions. This is after 20 years. No real gained time and no planning for next year. Think it depends on your school and management. If a school likes to innovate, has a mixed intake and monitors everything, the workload is high.
Having said all that I do think it can work well for a family purely because of the holiday. As long as you can do it well which not everyone can.

Salbertina Sun 30-Jun-13 18:40:10

Holiday childcare easily? No way!! Not once they're at school! Its an absolute logistical nightmare of boxing and coxing, even the sports schemes tend to be say 9-3 at most; how to commute to/from your average 830-6 office job with that?

ReallyTired Sun 30-Jun-13 18:36:39

I haven't read the thread, but the total lack of flexbility of term time working makes teaching difficult to combine with a family. Teachers do have fanastic holidays, but in someways its easier to have 25 days which you can choose than 13 weeks which are fixed.

It is next to impossible to take time off for yourself being sick, yet alone children. Teachers need wrap around care as much as anyone. Teachers tend to start work at 8am and often have evening commitments, meetings, marking and planning to do after school.

Although its expensive, most people can find childcare for the holidays quite easily.

EvilTwins Sun 30-Jun-13 18:26:22

I am serious, blackbird - I am a secondary HOD, and other than knowing an outline of the year, at this point, I cannot plan. I don't yet know next year's timetable, and know from experience that even if I did, I would have no way of knowing how quickly a group of, say Yr 9s, would progress through a scheme of work in comparison to this year's or last year's groups.

Take umbridge if you like, but I fail to see how you can plan at this stage, unless you're not doing a particularly good job of it.

Feenie Sun 30-Jun-13 18:06:39

Only you seem to be seeing this perceived oneupmanship - it's a perfectly valid question, how can lesson planning a year in advance work, when you don't know how a class will progress? confused

blackbirdatglanmore Sun 30-Jun-13 17:39:18

You don't think telling someone you don't even know and whose teaching you don't know the first thing about that they haven't planned properly is a bit rude? Really? hmm I'm not going to bother getting into the silly sniping and one-upmanship as I am hiding the thread now. Obviously, as a secondary teacher I don't have to do reports confused

Feenie Sun 30-Jun-13 17:31:28

Sorry, what's rude? confused

blackbirdatglanmore Sun 30-Jun-13 17:26:49

God, how rude!

Feenie Sun 30-Jun-13 17:17:20

I did wonder about that, EvilTwins.

Thank you EyesUnderaRock - you spoke for me much more eloquently than I can manage - am actually in the middle of reports and post Ofsted so extra snappy. FAB cake!

EvilTwins Sun 30-Jun-13 17:11:39

Obviously it depends on a whole host of things. I have lost a yr 11 class, but gained time is not happening. We have 6 teachers (out of 40) on long term sick and our HT has decided that this "quiet" time is the ideal time to send people off for courses etc so cover is manic. Also, it depends on subject. I teach Performing Arts. Last week we had an Arts Week in school, so I was out late 2 evenings. I am lucky in that DH's job is more flexible (and better paid) than mine.

If I was being picky, though, I would say that a secondary teacher who has nearly planned the whole of next year can't possibly have done it properly. How can you plan a year in advance when planning needs to take into account so many things about individual students and their progress?

BackforGood Sun 30-Jun-13 17:00:06

Excellent post by Eyes at 16:35 ^

indyandlara Sun 30-Jun-13 16:53:52

I love moving about tbh. I would get stale if I stayed in the same place and I don't think it's good from a development point of view either. However, planning is hellish. Swings and roundabouts though.

blackbirdatglanmore Sun 30-Jun-13 16:46:03

At least you aren't stuck in one place, I suppose. That has happened to my friend; she's been with year 1 so long that she is struggling to get promotions as she hasn't got a varied experience with ages. Must be frustrating from a planning POV, though.

indyandlara Sun 30-Jun-13 16:43:06

Oh for goodness sake if course I don't think that. Nor did I say it. We are expected to mark every piece of work from every child every day. That is what I am talking about. Others have commented on fortnightly marking being the expectation in their secondary. English would be different I would imagine.

In 15 years of teaching this is the first year I will stay in the same year group. However, new planning means all science and social subjects will change. Language and literacy always does depending on the group of kids. Maths is similar. I get 1 hour a week non contact time which is usually when meetings are scheduled with other agencies. I am not disorganised, far from it. The hours I work are what I need to do in order to be effective. If I didn't do them then my lessons would be half arsed and chaotic.

blackbirdatglanmore Sun 30-Jun-13 16:39:42

Sigh. I didn't say anyone had to be "better" organised; I said (as advice to the OP) to be "well" organised. I could take offence with the idea that teachers are not 'proper' mothers to their children during term time but that would get a bit silly, so I won't.

I do think there is a lot of being a martyr in it for some teachers, secondary as well as primary. I understand perfectly well the point about not having gained time but we're talking about getting a few hours 4 weeks or so at the end of the year; it isn't as if we're sitting on our arses the rest of the time confused

Eyesunderarock Sun 30-Jun-13 16:38:49

Hey! Hey! Feenie!

Found a cake for those moments when you feel like a cog in the machine.
incrediblediary.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/steampunk-inspired-cake_LDD53_59.jpg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now