To really resent how sucked in my dh gets when playing computer games.

(122 Posts)
mameulah Fri 22-Feb-13 22:39:28

Anyone else in the same situation? Has anyone found a way of making their dh realise how totally infuriating annoying it is?

budgieshell Sun 24-Feb-13 00:19:56

Yes I'm a x box widow too.

It used to drive me mad, not any more.

Plus sides

watch what I want on TV.
Stretch out in bed.
Not under feet.
Know where he is.
Addictive nature taken care of.
Thinks he's got the best wife because I don't nag about it anymore.
Always happy to look after children because he needs to stay home to game.

If I want to talk or have family time we have to leave the house which he is happy to do at weekends because he games mainly at night.

seeker Sun 24-Feb-13 07:30:15

"seeker - you can MNet and floss at the same time. Still doesn't make MNetting for hours, albeit in small chunks, any different from guys who spend solid hours playing games."

Of course it's different. When you're doing one you can interact with the real world, when you're doing the other you can't.

lougle Sun 24-Feb-13 08:00:49

I never put WoW above RL. I stop mid-fight if the phone rings or the children need me -it's only pixels and I can resurrect if I die.

I actually play and MN in the evening. alt-tab out to read threads, then play a bit more.

If I wanted to bake a cake, I'd just walk away from the computer...

seeker Sun 24-Feb-13 08:24:04

Lougle- I'm sure you do. But you only have to read mumnsnet for 5 minutes to realise that many people don't game the way you do.

RedwingOnFire Sun 24-Feb-13 08:43:43

When I was young & recently wed I did actually keep a notebook for a couple of days logging the amount of time he spent on computer games v. talking to or listening to me! That worked as he saw the data v. just arguing over perception of time from each of us. Seems a bit crazy now I'm older!!

TiffIsKool Sun 24-Feb-13 09:21:59

of course it's different seeker. wink

seeker Sun 24-Feb-13 09:31:17

Tiff. I can bake and decorate 200 cupcakes in 7 hours while simultaneously being a prolific poster on mumsnet. And do. Regularly. Could you do that while gaming?

Rhiannon86 Sun 24-Feb-13 09:33:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Trytrytyagain Sun 24-Feb-13 09:34:45

You do interact when you're gaming, you talk to people.

I think posting on Internet forums and gaming are a similar use of someone's time.

Fairenuff Sun 24-Feb-13 09:35:11

If I want to talk or have family time we have to leave the house

I don't think anyone would make a statement like that about mn though! It really is different. But, as I said, it all depends on how the partner feels about it. If it's a problem, then it's a problem.

lougle Sun 24-Feb-13 09:53:30

See...yesterday I posted 29 times here. Seeker posted 41 times. I played WoW last night - my children were having a sleepover at Nanny and Grandad's. I still posted on MN, watched TV,etc.

This morning..I'm logged on to WoW - my children are enjoying their morning with Nanny and Grandad. It's the second time in 4 years that we've had a night off.

I'm going to enjoy myself playing WoW, as is my DH. No relationship breakdown, just enjoying ourselves.

TiredyCustards Sun 24-Feb-13 09:54:43

Urgh, it's so unattractive though, like a teenager.

Dp sometimes gets into games, rarely now though. Football Manager was the worst, swearing and staying up all night. I think he just had to realise what an arse it was turning him into.

'unpausable' what a load of bollocks, actual life and a 12 week old baby are unpausable.

lougle Sun 24-Feb-13 09:55:27

" seeker Sun 24-Feb-13 08:24:04

Lougle- I'm sure you do. But you only have to read mumnsnet for 5 minutes to realise that many people don't game the way you do. "

No, or going to see the football, or going to the pub, or clubbing, or any other pastime.

The point isn't about what someone does, it's about the intensity of doing it and how easy it is to walk away. Once you find it too hard to walk away, it's a problem.

TiffIsKool Sun 24-Feb-13 10:06:08

seeker - in response to your 'prolific' comment I did a search on you. You wasn't kidding.

If my kids spent that much time online I be seriously worried. I accept that for some people who are socially isolated, either because they are single or children are at school, MN is a great community.

However, there seem to be a lot women? with children and DH, like yourself seeker, who spend a lot of time online. I'm NOT criticizing. I mean, I'm here online as well.Its just I don't seen this as any different to some guy gaming.

And I''ve seen some heated debates here on MN. A few days ago you started a thread about how some posters were picking on you so don't tell me that guys take WoW too seriously whereas we MNetters don't

TiffIsKool Sun 24-Feb-13 10:08:45

Sorry if that sounded confrontational. I was just making the point that conversing with a bunch of strangers isn't that different from what the guys do.

"But you only have to read mumnsnet for 5 minutes to realise that many people don't game the way you do."

And you only have to read MN for 5 minutes to see that many don't MN the same way you do.

It's not what the hobby is. It's how it's done.

seeker Sun 24-Feb-13 10:15:03

And did you also notice what I do while mumsnetting? I think I was making the point that I can- and am- gainfully employed ( well, i'm not at the moment- I'm drinking coffee) at the same time. I doubt if any gamers are. Well, not unless they do it without their bosses noticing.

You know that most gamers do work and game in their spare time right?

How else could they afford the games/rig?

seeker Sun 24-Feb-13 10:16:42

Wow, Tiff- maybe just cool it a bit? Is it your gaming addiction you're defensive about out your oh's?

Flosshilde Sun 24-Feb-13 10:17:01

There is a new MN WoW guild for those who missed the previous thread of a few weeks ago. We're on Vel'kinash server, guild name Nest of Vipers grin. Men welcome.

TiffIsKool Sun 24-Feb-13 10:26:36

Anyone who disagree has to be defensive right? grin 

Neither OH or I are into online games.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 24-Feb-13 10:27:55

Seeker why are you being so confrontational?

It really is your way or no way, about many things it seems.

I used to game, so did DH. We were both working in very well paid jobs and, surprisingly used to game in our spare time. hmm

RedwingOnFire Sun 24-Feb-13 10:39:38

This isn't actually about gaming though, it's about a couple & time issue.

RedwingOnFire Sun 24-Feb-13 10:40:36

And with a 12 week old baby!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now