To be thoroughly pissed off about extra additions to ski holiday and to get my clip board out?

(139 Posts)
Beachcomber Wed 20-Feb-13 09:01:24

Will try to keep this short. We are lucky enough to be going skiing for 6 days next week. We live in France and will drive to resort, we have our own gear so no ski hire. We are very very lucky in that an acquaintance gives us mates rates on an apartment (half the normal price). All this means that we can afford to go skiing. We still save up for this though in order to pay for our lift passes and lessons for the children - it is a special treat.

DH has invited a friend and his girlfriend to join us for 3 out of the 6 days (he checked with me first and I was perfectly happy with the idea as it is fun to do this sort of thing with other people). They were pleased to come along. However it now turns out that they will be bringing two children with them (the girlfriend's from a previous relationship), when we invited them, the understanding was that the children were with their father that week.

I am really not keen on this happening at all. It means the apartment will be full to bursting (someone will be sleeping on pull out sofa in living room, the only small bedroom will need to have 4 people in it and two people will have to sleep in bunks in the hall). French ski apartments are tiny and there is never enough space to store/dry ski things, and there will be only one combined shower-room with the toilet in it for 8 people. We are self-catering so going to have to organise meals for 4 adults and 4 children around a table that only sits 6 at a squeeze.

Also the two children who now appear to be coming are of the noisy, jump on sofas, talk back to their mum (and others) type. Last time we spent time with them she got pretty frazzled. I feel sorry for them all, she is exhausted, she works full time and a single mum with young children who are obviously finding the upheaval of their parents divorce really hard. That doesn't mean I want to spend 3 days squeezed into a small apartment/going skiing with them though. Even worse, the mum is a beginner skier so I'm not too sure who is going to be in charge of her kids on the slopes as they ski better than she does and I can't see them being content to keep their mum happy on green runs.

AIBU to want to set some ground rules with everybody before we go? Such as each family is responsible for their kids and only their own and can we please not have the blokes off doing the black runs whilst the mums take kids to the toilet/sort lunch for them/sort out another change of dry gloves/drop them off and pick them up from lessons, etc? I also want us to have some idea of what we are going to eat in the evening and to have discussed who is sleeping where before we arrive. Really, I would prefer this not to be happening like this but we are just going to have to get on with it now.

exoticfruits Fri 01-Mar-13 22:06:11

Confidence is the important thing- glad you all enjoying it, except your poor DH who hopefully will be fit for the slopes next year.

HollaAtMeBaby Fri 01-Mar-13 20:23:28

Glad you have survived the visit and that 3/4 of you are enjoying the slopes... hope DH's injury heals soon.

Beachcomber Fri 01-Mar-13 19:07:47

had a lovely day skiing with the girls. they have got their confidence back and were ace. really proud of them. am now enjoying wine

thanks again to everyone who was so kind on this thread!

clicketyclick66 Thu 28-Feb-13 05:47:21

I've only just seen this thread now. I'm sorry for what happened your poor dh and dd, I hope they will be better soon. And I hope you relax and enjoy the rest of your holiday.

GingerBlondecat Thu 28-Feb-13 05:18:00

Beachcomber Wed 27-Feb-13 20:37:14
thanks again for lovely mners and supportive posts. guests left after lunch today. they made noises about staying but i wasnt having any of it. have no idea now why they came. i can only think that they thought we would help with their kids and when that was clearly not possible due to dhs knee they didnt really know what to do.
````````````````````````
They don't listen too well, do they. Or, they didn't beleive what they heard......... when your DH set out the rules and said NO to extra days.
bloody Cheek of them.
((((((((Hugs)))

Sorry to hear your DH has been injured.

Hope your DDs get their confidence back.

pluCaChange Wed 27-Feb-13 23:14:36

Oh, dear, what a crush of inconsiderate idiots, at home and "abroad"! Hope your DH mends soon. Sadly, it reflects very well on him that his injury was.w orse for trying to protect his DD! sad

"The rain, it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella,
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust steals the just's umbrella!"

fallon8 Wed 27-Feb-13 22:16:27

Stay home and send the others off...plus you don't really need to explain why you can afford to go skiing for six days,,it's your dosh

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Wed 27-Feb-13 21:33:48

Well done you!!

Live & learn, live and learn grin learn not to invite people on a family holiday in a ridiculously small french appartment & that's just for starters!!

Dubjackeen Wed 27-Feb-13 20:50:45

Poor you,what a rotten thing to happen. Hope your dd and dh feel better soon. Put your feet up and have a nice glass of wine tonight. Hope you enjoy rest of holiday. smile

Beachcomber Wed 27-Feb-13 20:37:14

thanks again for lovely mners and supportive posts. guests left after lunch today. they made noises about staying but i wasnt having any of it. have no idea now why they came. i can only think that they thought we would help with their kids and when that was clearly not possible due to dhs knee they didnt really know what to do.

live and learn is what i have taken from this trip.

BuiltForComfort Wed 27-Feb-13 12:46:46

Good grief, so if they are hardly skiing where are they all day? I am imagining 8 of you, DH with his leg up, DD1 with tummy bug having to occupy a tiny skiing apartment for the best part of every day! They must be due to leave soon surely? Commiserations on your bad luck.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Wed 27-Feb-13 00:30:49

Oh good god - tell me you have wine at least??

Poor DD - I hope none of the rest of you get it!

If they aren't skiing, DH is laid up and DD is ill - why the hell has it not occured to them to leave? They aren't under any illusion that they are 'helping' by staying in or staying longer are they shock

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Tue 26-Feb-13 23:58:39

Poor you - when do they go?

Beachcomber Tue 26-Feb-13 23:41:36

glad to hear you were able to ski again! havent done much skiing but will try to tomorrow.

dd1 has got a tummy bug - we are being rather unlucky it would seem.

visitors are doing my head in. they have hardly skied for some reason. i dont know why they came tbh.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Tue 26-Feb-13 23:23:53

Oh Beachcomber - mine was years ago, I've skiied like a waddling duck since then smile

Hope you are coping OK with the visitors and a settee bound DH!

Make sure YOU get some decent skiing in - someone might as well!!

Beachcomber Tue 26-Feb-13 23:20:35

very sorry to hear of other posters injuries. hope all mends well.

whois Mon 25-Feb-13 18:22:35

Oh no OP that's awful about your DP and DD. so glad she isn't hurt!

Some people are suck fucking idiots on the slopes.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Mon 25-Feb-13 17:24:15

Oh no, how awful sad Poor DH and what a fright for the DD's sad I'm glad they found the bloody idiots and took their passes off of them, some people are so bloody inconsiderate and dangerous!

I completely tore my cruciate ligament skiing - last run of the last day... typical! Hopefully your DH's will heal much more quickly as it's only a partial, but still - a miserable week for him.

I hope you and the girls still manage to enjoy yourselves and that you get some decent skiing in by yourself too.

Beachcomber Mon 25-Feb-13 15:42:41

thanks again everyone for kind posts. dds went to their lesson this am and got on fine. instructor very kind when i told him about their fright. we went sledging this pm so that was fun. dh ok, using ice packs and lots of arnica on top prescribed pills

Wishihadabs Mon 25-Feb-13 10:56:54

I hope you manage to enjoy yourselves a little bit and your dds get some skiing in.

Spoonful Mon 25-Feb-13 09:57:30

Oh no, what awful people not to stop after crashing into your DH and DD!
Glad your DDs are both Ok and I hope your DH recovers quickly.

Beachcomber Mon 25-Feb-13 09:47:08

thank you everyone. guests are here, they arrived yesterday. they are being supportive and want to help. apartment is a squeeze.

we are all feeling a bit better today. such is life, nothing to do but get on with it and be thankful that nothing worse happened. a ski injury is annoying but not the end of the world.

JengaBlock Mon 25-Feb-13 09:44:46

Oh no! Not a happy update. So sorry your dh got hurt.

clam Mon 25-Feb-13 09:33:40

Oh no! You poor things.
I can sympathise with the leg damage - not quite the same thing but I broke my leg 6 weeks ago and therefore couldn't ski this year, although I went along on crutches last week with the family for the rest of it. It was tough to miss out on something I'd been looking forward to since the previous year, and tougher still to realise that ski resorts are not geared up for the injured - ungritted steps everywhere, a nightmare on crutches, although I stayed indoors for the week.
It's bad enough injuring yourself if it's technically your own fault, but SO much more annoying when it's someone else's. And they didn't stop? Bastards. Glad they were reported.
Echo the idea that you must try to get your dd back on the slopes before a real fear kicks in.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now