to not let the meter reader in?

(172 Posts)
midastouch Tue 19-Feb-13 18:03:07

my electric meter is in my cellar/playroom, so they have to trapse through my house to get to the meter. I had a screaming baby so i told him it wasnt convenient I got quite a lecture about checking it for safety so i asked him to come back in a couple of hours (to give me a chance to sort lunch out and clear the playroom floor so he doesnt break his neck!) he was not impressed and knocked again half an hour later. I ignored it he knocked 3 times! It was only read 2 months ago and I dont really like strangers demanding entry to my home! Anyway i now have a note to say ive refused entry twice!

zzzzz Wed 20-Feb-13 21:24:37

But they only really need to check the meter every 2 years. What's the point of the in between visits???.

bluer Wed 20-Feb-13 21:35:43

Is not about how little women have moved on...like it or not there aren't many woman who could fight off a man and if you let just anyone into your house you could be putting yourself at risk. I weight around the same as my dh and he's not muscly etc but if we play wrestle he can easily over power me.its nothing to do with being a feminist etc but simply that men are stronger...therefore an unexpected visitor will never gain access to my home.

BlatantLies Wed 20-Feb-13 21:44:36

confused But you are not letting anyone in. You can confirm who they are by phoning your utility company on their official number.

Obviously, if it's a wierdo who makes an inappropriate comment THEN don't let him in. (although you should still make a note of his ID so that you can report him )

Mutley77 Wed 20-Feb-13 21:46:39

Nope I don't let them in either. We update our meter readings on line and I therefore don't see the need for them to be paid to come and read it again. It is a pain for them to go in my understairs cupboard when I am in the middle of doing something.

We had a letter recently asking us to ring them to make an appointment (otherwise they will make one for us and write to tell us when it is) and I didn't bother - I didn't have time! The letter actually said they are legally obliged to check the meter but didn't refer to any legal obligation of ours to let them in so I am not sure they can insist - however I won't block if they do send us an appointment.

I know our meters are safe as we have recently had gas/elec safety certs done because we are going to rent out the house.

TunipTheVegedude Wed 20-Feb-13 21:47:28

I wouldn't let someone in if I wasn't dressed.
And I think if you are getting a 'spidey sense' about someone it is perfectly sensible not to let them in and it's silly to repress that for fear of being thought to be a feeble little woman.

twentythirteen Wed 20-Feb-13 21:51:43

I haven't had my meter read for years. Ill have it done if I ever move. They haven't cut off my power. It's not about feeling afraid of the strange man. Its about me choosing how I spend my time in my home.

MajaBiene Wed 20-Feb-13 21:55:29

I wouldn't let someone come and read the meter every 2 months - it's too much.

I rarely answer the door to unexpected callers to be honest. If it's important they can make an appointment.

fuckwittery Wed 20-Feb-13 22:05:00

Erm even if you phone and they are genuinely from a utility company doesn't mean they are not going to make inappropriate comments and you should let them in your home if you don't wish to.
I am certainly not coming from the every man is a potential rapist stance, but yes men are generally physically stronger, if you need to be 100 per cent sure to let a man into your home when you are vulnerable in any way. And that includes having a sleeping newborn, having just got out the shower, having a screaming baby who needs breastfeeding. People's meters are not all in the hall readily accessible, they have to take them in the house and move things. If its not convenient it's not convenient FFS. If the genuine utility employee is a bit sneery or rude or has muddy boots or wants to take a shit in your loo, or is looking at you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable then yes, of course you can decline entrance. Amazed at the views that you should allow entrance at all costs on here. Make an appointment, that's not hard either. Yes, tricky if everyone insisted but in reality it seems a reasonable thing for the vulnerable and not many will insist but it should be their right.

ebwy Wed 20-Feb-13 23:11:31

I'm mentally ill, strangers in my home freak me out and the after-effects of an unexpected meter reader coming in can last weeks. I wish the gas & electricity companies would send us notice about a week beforehand so I can arrange for someone else to be here. Surely they should know when your street is due to be checked.

I do let them in but they have to dig their way through to the meters themselves because I'm not turning my back to them. They may be lovely but I don't like people I don't trust getting behind me due to my anxiety disorders

HerrenaHarridan Wed 20-Feb-13 23:24:06

Someone up thread asked how single people manage with out a big strong man to supervise meter readers etc.

As a single parent I do not let unannounced callers in unless I know them. Why would I? Even if I have friends round. They do not have the right to come into my home I am perfectly capable of entering readings online and should they need to actually service the meter they can make an appt.

Why would any woman question another woman's feminist loyalties for standing up for her right to not do something that makes her feel unsafe.
We are our own worst enemies

kalidanger Wed 20-Feb-13 23:32:08

I think a meter reader is the only stranger I would freely let in my house to be honest hmm in fact one came the other week, holding out his ID with a cheery "Alright luv".

BlatantLies Wed 20-Feb-13 23:49:05

ebwy. You should contact your Utility Company I am sure they would be happy to come to some arrangement with you.

A quick look shows that NPower suggests that anyone with any special requirements register with them. I guess all the Utility Companies have Similar set ups (hopefully grin )

saxonlad88 Tue 13-May-14 16:42:55

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Canus Tue 13-May-14 16:52:29

Gosh, you are an angry little man thread reviver aren't you saxonlad?

You get that you are just a utility bod, yes? Not doing actual life saving, important stuff for a living? You really don't matter much at all, and anyone could be trained to read a meter.

Calm down, maybe look at retraining. You'll give yourself an ulcer if you carry on like this.

CortanaFights Tue 13-May-14 16:55:07

Calm down you wee prick.
No our fault your nob is small.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oh and btw, it won't be too hard to find out who you are so you can be reported to your employers for the rudeness, abusiveness and utter contempt you've shown for the people you come across in your work.

Groovee Tue 13-May-14 17:06:30

hmm

MakeMineaMartina Tue 13-May-14 17:09:37

I never let strangers in my house, (my meters are inside too), they can even make fake IDs (I know this as I used to make ID cards at a place of work once and theyre so easy to do).

I send my readings online. ive told them I don't want visits.

I have a notice on my door saying 'no unexpected callers or cold callers'.

so many people cant read though!

I thank the lord I have a camera and a buzzer so I just pretend I'm out.

PresidentTwonk Tue 13-May-14 17:14:16

Yeah, you're all out of order not wanting to let lovely meter readers like that ^ in wink

CortanaFights Tue 13-May-14 17:15:11

Would be awful if this got tweeted and went viral....
#mumsnet

He'd get drop kicked off my doorstep if he spoke to me like that. Foul manchild.

I've just read Rights of Entry (Gas and Electricity Boards) Act 1954; btw and can't find any reference to the 12 weeks yon mon states.

SaucyJack Tue 13-May-14 17:26:06

If you weren't such an unpleasant misogynist, you'd probably have a girl-friend and then you wouldn't be so bored on your day off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now