to not let the meter reader in?

(172 Posts)
midastouch Tue 19-Feb-13 18:03:07

my electric meter is in my cellar/playroom, so they have to trapse through my house to get to the meter. I had a screaming baby so i told him it wasnt convenient I got quite a lecture about checking it for safety so i asked him to come back in a couple of hours (to give me a chance to sort lunch out and clear the playroom floor so he doesnt break his neck!) he was not impressed and knocked again half an hour later. I ignored it he knocked 3 times! It was only read 2 months ago and I dont really like strangers demanding entry to my home! Anyway i now have a note to say ive refused entry twice!

exoticfruits Tue 19-Feb-13 19:22:05

All you have to say is 'excuse the mess-the metre is over there' and let him get on with it-2 mins at the most.

BlatantLies Tue 19-Feb-13 19:25:04

CwtchesAndCuddles. Now that is a proper reason notto let a meter reader have access. I hope the meter reader understood too smile

JollyRedGiant Tue 19-Feb-13 19:25:13

The Natwest bank Mobile phone scam recently involved people pretending to be from energy companies, so it is definitely worth checking credentials if you are not due a reading smile

oldraver Tue 19-Feb-13 19:53:19

A meter reader is just that... not a qualified person who 'checks it for safety'. So I would definitely not allow him in after he said something like that.

HerrenaHarridan Tue 19-Feb-13 20:01:02

People never fail to astound me on mn ( or anywhere else for that matter)

Of course you don't have to let them in only doing their job or other wise.
I never let unannounced callers in convenient or otherwise.
I'm home alone with my baby, I'm not going to let a stranger in. End of.

HerrenaHarridan Tue 19-Feb-13 20:02:03

Or otherwise indeed smile

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Tue 19-Feb-13 20:18:15

YANBU you're not obliged to let anyone into your home. They only need acess to read the meter every 2 years as others have said. Our meters are in the garage which is great as no need to let them inside at all.

exoticfruits Tue 19-Feb-13 20:24:45

Thank goodness I have never been in a position where I needed access to people's houses-I had no idea they were so difficult!
I am always pleased to be in when they come and not have to do my own reading and then get to the point where you have to arrange to be in. It is so quick-why be obstructive?

exoticfruits Tue 19-Feb-13 20:25:56

Sorry-so surprised by the reaction I see that I put metre instead of meter.

Matildaduck Tue 19-Feb-13 20:29:46

No i don't like letting them in either. I have said no before.

It's not always convenient and really once a year is enough.

I hate letting people into my home.

hugoagogo Tue 19-Feb-13 20:44:42

I have refused to let them in before, one got a bit shirty, but that's his problem.

I mean I normally say fine, no problem, but if I am not dressed or about to go out then no way am I letting them in.

BlatantLies Tue 19-Feb-13 20:53:07's two minutes at best ? Some people must have very, very hectic lifestyles not to be able to find a spare few minutes.

Fair enough if you are not dressed

(although if you are dressed enough to answer the door surely you are dressed enough for the meter reader to check the meter) hmm

diddl Tue 19-Feb-13 20:59:07

If it was only read 2 months ago, yanbu.

exoticfruits Tue 19-Feb-13 21:00:58

MN is a revelation to me! People who don't want to leave workmen unsupervised, don't want workmen using their toilet, want all shoes left at the door and now can let a meter reader in for the few moments it takes.

badtemperedaldbitch Tue 19-Feb-13 21:02:18

Except I really dislike the chap who does ours. He is rude and patronising and just plain strange. He makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up ( I'm not saying it that All meter readers Are, just our one)

Once I had a legitimate reason for refusing And he got all belligerent and threatening. There was a big show down on the step...I was shaking and upset by his rudeness. I told him to come back in 30 mins when dh would be back and I reported him to the number on tbe card.

Now I don't let him in at all...... It's not my problem if he can't do his job he should try being nice

saycheeeeeese Tue 19-Feb-13 21:07:20

I had a reader come to my door at 8.15!!!!! DD was a newborn and I basically told him to sod off. He's a pretty rude man who never offers id though I force him to show me it every time!
Mean I know but its a terrible invasion of your personal space sometimes and I don't like letting strange men into my home I feel very vulnerable.

The world won't stop if he doesn't get his reading so YANBU

Once a year is enough, especially if you are submitting online readings. The reader before the idiot I know (that I mentioned before) was really creepy. And he came back to do another reading about 2 months after the first. Ordinarily I wouldn't have been in either time, and although I was trying to hurry him up (I needed to be somewhere), he took his time and lingered, in not a nice way. Thank goodness I was at work if he came round after that. I found cards through the letter box announcing he'd been.

Meter readers may be doing a job, but if one is freaking me out, I am not going to just meekly let them in.

Dogsmom Tue 19-Feb-13 21:33:39

YABU, I used to be a meter reader and left the job because I got fed up of daily abuse ranging from general tutting and huffing to having people literally screaming at me because their bills were so high.

They can't help which rounds they are given and each area comes up on a 3 month loop so they are read 4x a year whether you submit them yourself or not, unfortunately not everybody is honest with their readings and the gas/electric companies like them read independently.

As for the safety check, yes we were told to do that, it's only a quick general glance but I've seen meters that had started to melt and the customer hadn't noticed and come across loads of gas meters with small leaks that people couldn't smell ebcause the cupboard was blocked with so much junk, it's a pain in the arse when we found one as it took up more of our time having to report it, we also had to check for tampering as again not everyone is honest, I've seen gas meters turned to face the other way and electric meters with holes drilled in the front to wedge something in to stop it turning. It's theft and costs the companies thousands a year that is added onto everyones bills.

Regarding pay, they aren't paid to go back, you have a set number of 'reads' a day and you have to hit 75%, anything less and you get a bollocking, any more and it adds up for your bonus which isn't much, a decent bonus might give you £100 a month.

They like you to work until 8pm at night because a lot of people are out at work in the day but people get incredibly rude if you knock late or moan if they haven't had it read recently. The winter was the worst with the dark nights as people seem to think it's late if you knock at 4.30.

Even if you don't want to let the meter reader in it's very helpful if you could just call the numbers out to them, the rounds are often long straight ones which can take 3-4 hours to do the first time round, they then have to go back to the beginning and do the call backs, then walk back to the car again at the end.

BlatantLies Tue 19-Feb-13 21:41:44

As mentioned earlier Energy companies are REQUIRED to read your meters, at least, every two years

It is funny that people are embarrassed about their house being messy or being in pj's but are not embarrassed to make the meter reader have to come back at a different time.

If you are embarrassed about your PJ's wouldn't it be easily to ask the Meyer reader to wait a sec and pull on a coat. That would only take 30 seconds. confused

midastouch Tue 19-Feb-13 21:44:32

I know hes only doing his job but he only did his job here 2 months ago, im not even due a bill yet. I think there is a difference in a meter reader and a mw or hv, they have an appointment. Personally i think i have every right to refuse access to my home if im busy, wouldnt mind if it was by the front door but its not. Probably should have let him in when he called back but to be honest after waking my baby and being just plain rude i was a bit peeved

BlatantLies Tue 19-Feb-13 21:45:11

Typo's galore blush

....easy to ask the meter......

CarpetBagger Tue 19-Feb-13 21:50:29

We are told not to open our doors round here as so many scams going on.

Maybe energy companies need to start warning householders when their people are in the area and what ID etc they will have.

midastouch Tue 19-Feb-13 21:52:38

Thank you HerrenaHarridan , glad im not the only one!

NaturalBaby Tue 19-Feb-13 21:54:26

YANBU. The only reason our meter gets read is because it's in the garage. If we're out or don't answer they leave a slip of paper to fill in and leave on the doorstep - saves me running to the door mid nappy change!
We've recently switched and I can't remember the previous company ever reading the meter.

Dogmum and BlatantLies I appreciate that people are doing a job, but when a person is freaking me out, I'm not letting them in cos I feel vulnerable then. Luckily this chap doesn't come round any more.

It's not always the case that it's people worried about being in PJs. There are a lot of meter readers in this country, which means that some, at least, are not going to be nice people......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now