Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to not understand people announcing that they're 'Getting Engaged'.

(331 Posts)
atthewelles Mon 18-Feb-13 13:12:13

I mean, either you've agreed between you that you want to get married or you haven't. Tellling everyone that you're 'going to get engaged at Christmas' or that 'we're going to Paris to get engaged' doesn't really make sense. Surely its more exciting to wait until you have the ring and then make a general announcement that you 'are engaged' instead of letting everyone know in advance and then expecting them to get excited and ooh and aah when you appear with a diamond flashing on your finger.

I'm not giving out about it, I just don't understand why people want to take the excitement and surprise out of the occasion like this.

I suppose it depends what pops up in Active Convos (or Last 15 Minutes) and how to a certain extent how solipsistic one is.

how much, rather

prettybird Thu 21-Feb-13 17:34:14

I agree with you OP - I've never understood it either. Once you've decided you are getting married, you are engaged - ring or not. confused

Pandemoniaa Thu 21-Feb-13 17:36:59

Well I didn't know there was a Flouncer's Corner either. But then I don't do flouncing. If push came to shove I'd just fuck off quietly and sit at home muttering about nests of vipers.

Slippersox Thu 21-Feb-13 19:33:55

YANBU and I feel exactly the same and always have.The minute you decide to get engaged you ARE engaged !Also don't get going to a family wedding recently,all quite last minute and registry office and meal afterwards.Perfectly lovely and nice and couple very loved up to be told our presence is required abroad next year for the ' proper' wedding ie. big bling do with a cast of many when they can afford and work permits it.Well we can't afford to go,and our work won't permit it but it's their attitude that really gets me.The 'oh this isn't our real wedding' WTF yes it is.It's the day you got married.Or I'm I just missing something?

I find it confusing because surely if you've both agreed you are getting married in the future you are engaged?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now