to really dislike Christine Blakely and wish she wasn't on TV?

(87 Posts)
cleoowen Sun 17-Feb-13 20:01:47

Not sure exactly why but I really cannot stand,her and,she ruins dancing on ice for me.

She just seems,too much of a WAG and really false. I don't feel like she,cares about any of the contestants on the show and is way too thin. She's not a good,presenter either.

What do others think?

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Mon 18-Feb-13 19:20:33

Arisbottle tbh I haven't read the thread. I was working from the OP and the first few comments.

MechanicalTheatre Mon 18-Feb-13 19:00:53

Eloquence is fine, I never said she'd answered otherwise. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

StickEmUp Mon 18-Feb-13 18:59:00

I nearly agreed until you said too thin. BMI wise i am 'too thin'.
Are there people who talk about me like this sad i hope not

Arisbottle Mon 18-Feb-13 18:56:24

Not everyone has commented on her appearance, I certainly haven't. The sisterhood does not mean pretending women have skills that they don't.

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Mon 18-Feb-13 18:44:32

LessMiss MechanicalTheatre has answered your point very eloquently.

Neither berating Christine Bleakley for being too thin or Mary Beard for not being groomed enough for TC are are particularly constructive. I do agree that there is sexism in TV and that the looksism (? I think I've just made that up) and ageism is particularly punitive against women. But if a woman is attractive and thin, that doesn't necessarily mean she is a bad presenter.

If this thread had read CB is annoying because she has no empathy, then fair enough. But it reads that CB is annoying because she has no empathy, looks like a WAG and is too thin, so the OP is BU.

MechanicalTheatre Mon 18-Feb-13 17:39:27

squoosh I couldn't give a shit if people don't like her. I haven't had a telly in years, so I barely know who she is. I doubt I'd be her biggest fan though.

What I hate is people going on about what other women look like. It is a fucking disgrace.

MechanicalTheatre Mon 18-Feb-13 17:38:21

Sisterhood means sticking up for women in whatever way you see fit.

I cannot STAND this constant policing of other women's looks and then people defending their actions: well, they asked for it, they're on telly.

Fine. But if you don't think that that then affects you in daily life as well, you are not very bright.

squoosh Mon 18-Feb-13 17:36:21

TV presenters are chosen on the premise that people will like them, that's their usp. Sometimes people don't like them. That's ok. Most light entertainment presenters, male and female are dull, smug and annoying.

I don't agree with slating her appearance but people are well within their rights to dislike her without feeling they are letting the 'sisterhood' down.

LessMissAbs Mon 18-Feb-13 17:27:36

Mardy would "sisterhood" in this context not mean highlighting the sexism in tv and stating that there is an alternative to attractive young women? There are many tv presenters I would love to see made more use of on such programmes, but since they are now considered "too old" or perhaps not attractive enough, we are stuck with the ones that quite a high proportion of women find annoying. eg Arlene Phillips substituted by a far inferior presenter, Tess Daly - little presenting experience (although I get the impression she has at least worked hard to better her presenting skills), Angela Rippon, etc..

If I were a middle aged man, I might feel different.

kirstys23 Mon 18-Feb-13 17:19:17

YABU. And so is everybody else who stating another woman's appearance on this thread.

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Mon 18-Feb-13 17:16:01

I just came on the thread to ask whatever happened to sisterhood, but I see that others have already got here.

Dull thread anyway. Can you imagine if we all started threads saying: "AIBU to dislike _ (insert personality name)"?

deleted203 Mon 18-Feb-13 17:12:58

I think personally, that if you are going to put yourself forward in the public eye and be paid ridiculous amounts of money for doing the job, then you can hardly object if people scrutinise you and have an opinion on how well you are able to do it.

If you are accepting a job on the basis that some middle aged male executive has thought, 'oh she's good looking - let's get her' you need to accept that a fair proportion of viewers are eyeing you sardonically and thinking, 'Actually she's not very attractive, sets a poor example to teenage girls on body issues, and, more importantly, she's a dreadful presenter'.

I have very little time for women who trade on their supposed looks rather than on professional ability, and every respect for women who forge a professional career on hard work and talent.

Fuck, this is a nasty thread, god its depressing that when a woman does well she is picked apart and slagged off.

EnjoyResponsibly Mon 18-Feb-13 17:09:54

Obviously I don't dislike her as I don't know her.

But if she was never on telly or featured in the sidebar of shame ever again I have to confess I would be utterly unfussed.

I agree - really don't like her much.
DOI is not the same anymore.
My OH, who loves a good WAG really doesn't like her either!??
Go figure!

MechanicalTheatre Mon 18-Feb-13 17:03:36

So because there is sexism in the media, we should respond with...er...more sexism.

Gotcha.

That Davina McCall is an ugly hoor, eh?

LessMissAbs Mon 18-Feb-13 16:59:40

To be fair, female tv presenters are picked in this country for being a certain age and for being attractive. It cannot therefore be surprising that one half of the population don't fall for this and judge them instead on their presenting skills. Perhaps if male tv presenters were picked for the same reasons, it would balance out, although some of the female tv presenters are so woefully bad at the act of presenting, the programme would fall to pieces if the male counterpart was similar!

WipsGlitter Mon 18-Feb-13 16:55:02

I've met her a few times and my wider family had close contact with her and she is lovely. Really genuine and nice and down to earth. I think she's a wee but older than she lets on tho!

HoHoHoNoYouDont Mon 18-Feb-13 16:50:34

I caught a glimpse of her on DOI last night and my immediate reaction was to comment on how over processed they've made her look. I don't think it suits her, she looks so much better toned down when she presented the one show. Also, I think presenters on DOI, X factor and Strictly are all robotic. The role doesn't exactly demand much from them does it, not like interviewing someone would.

squoosh Mon 18-Feb-13 15:31:26

I find her bland and inane and giggly and a bit vacant, but luckily my taste in television programmes never overlap with things she's involved in. It boggles my mind that ITV paid mega buks to lure her and the equally rubbish Adrian Chiles over from the BBC. Seems to have backfired somewhat however!

She's a gorgeous looking girl have no clue why she (and everyone else on tv these days it seems) has opted for false teeth like veneers.

Still maintain that Pippy Schofield is far more of an annoyance. What a cock he is.

NinaHeart Mon 18-Feb-13 15:08:43

YANBU as I don't like her either and said as much to my husband yesterday. He seems to like her more than I do....
(Talentless lollipop WAG with annoying voice)

greensmoothiegoddess Mon 18-Feb-13 15:05:52

Bloody Nora- what a nasty lot of posts on this thread. Very playground / school gates / judgy. I have a sick feeling in my stomach. What hope is there for the rest of us?

I think she is perfectly nice fwiw. I have never seen her in DOI but she was lovely on the One Show and, dare I say it, Daybreak. She seems well thought of in the industry. If she wants to look the way she does then bloody well good on her, I say. Shouldn't we all have that choice without having aspersions cast upon us?

SoleSource Sun 17-Feb-13 23:30:39

I like her. Beautiful too. Good luck to her, why not? smile

ChewinTheFat Sun 17-Feb-13 22:51:33

I can't take to her on DOI

Not because she's too skinny/too orange/ has big teeth, I just think Holly Willobooby had a better connection. CB looks like she can't wait to get home.

TheSecondComing Sun 17-Feb-13 22:43:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now