To think my friend is an idiot ?

(30 Posts)
Inseywinseyupthespout Sun 17-Feb-13 13:08:59

Just been swimming with my friend and her 2 DDs.

Her oldest dd is 2 1/2 and the baby is 7 months .
She was telling me today that her DD1 has moved up to her "big girl" car seat to make room for the baby to go in her "big girl" car seat .

The 2 1/2 yr old is now in a high back booster - the baby is to be moved up in to the forward facer next week .

I asked if her eldest dd had outgrown her forward facer - she hasn't . The baby also hasn't outgrown the infant carrier .

I pointed out that she should really keep the 2 1/2 year old in the harnessed seat til age 4 ; she got a bit defensive and said she's within the weight range for the booster so should be fine .

Most of our mutual friends are using ERF seats so she is not entirely ignorant to the options available .

My friend gave me a lift home and the whole journey the toddler was leaning over to grab toys and books out of the bag - so wasn't correctly positioned in the seat .

I feel angry at her for being so stupid in thinking this is some sign of "growing up" for her toddler - it's downright dangerous !

I think she also text her DH to say I was being a judgy pants as when we got home he made a point of saying "oh dd loves her big girl seat " and saying how she had told him she really likes it hmm

I know AIBU in the sense that its none of my business but AIBU to think she is an idiot ??

Especially as the children haven't even outgrown their normal seats ? Why would she do this ?? confused

PrettyKitty1986 Sun 17-Feb-13 23:03:48

Bedmonster, I wouldn't change to the high back booster for quite a while yet, but because of age not weight.
15 months is really young to just have a seatbelt going across them. I'm just thinking of moving ds1 to a high back booster now because I think he's old enough to not undo the belt or slip under it etc and he's nearly 3. I wouldn't trust a 15 month old.

bedmonster Sun 17-Feb-13 23:06:07

Trazzle I will keep him in the one in my car for as long as he still fits, but we have a booster with the back thingy from the DDs in the loft. Think we may just bite the bullet and buy another one like mine for DPs car.

Apologies OP, I have derailed your thread and should probably start my own blush

PrettyKitty1986 Sun 17-Feb-13 23:07:42

A lot of assumptions in your post there mum vs kids hmm
I nowhere said every old car is unsafe...I was referring to a specific situation. Do you want a clap or something?

bedmonster Sun 17-Feb-13 23:08:17

Thanks Pretty, it's basically what DP and I thought really, he's far too young for just a seatbelt. We just wanted to see what the next options were.

SamSmalaidh Sun 17-Feb-13 23:13:06

I wouldn't be so worried about the 2 year old in a booster seat (but why, if you have the choice of a safer seat?) but a 7 month old in a forward facing seat is just reckless!

They are supposed to be at least 9 months AND 9kg to go forward facing - because their little necks can snap so easily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now