Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think giving a valentines card to your daughter is a bit weird?

(104 Posts)
FatPenguin Sat 16-Feb-13 21:02:14

MIL got valentines cards for OH to give to his daughters (15 and 12 years old). He refused and said he thought it was a bit odd giving valentines card to your kids. MIL is now in a huff with him.
Do people do this?

Foggles Sun 17-Feb-13 19:40:51

BrianCox I practically had chocolate exchange days written into a prenuptial agreement grin

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 17-Feb-13 18:56:18

Domestic ah yes I understand, I think I went off on a more generalised tangent with my wittering, as up-thread it was insinuated that it was odd in a pervy way.

Foggles Can I just say, the one celebration I am given nothing for is Easter <sobs> although DD gets far too many eggs and I end up having to help her eat them

andubelievedthat Sun 17-Feb-13 17:41:16

my fella always sends one 2 a>my sister a complete drama queen (esp. if she does not get one ) and b> my daughter ,not his < who is not a kid>is young adult, because he does not want her to be upset ,privately, if no one else sent one , he writes them with his non writing hand cos he thinks / hopes it disguises his usual handwriting, one of the many reason i luv him is his daft caring re other peoples feelings.

Foggles Sun 17-Feb-13 17:26:15

I've got nothing against it but it's not something we have done - or any of our friends / family TBH.

Perhaps it is a more recent practice?

Having said that, people wonder why DH & I get each other easter eggs....

because it's chocolate - that's why! grin

AuntieMaggie Sun 17-Feb-13 17:19:46

I adopted the idea of it being about more than romantic love and telling your other loved ones how much you care on v day from scandinavian friends who in their 20s still made little cards/notes for 'everyone'. I think its lovely and doesn't have to be expensive or commercial. Who doesn't like to be told they're loved?

allbie Sun 17-Feb-13 14:07:03

Well I give a card and chocs to all our DCs , boys and girls...shock...horror! They know it's me and they love it!! Our eldest daughter (15) wanted to make sure I was doing it as usual because she liked getting a card from me! It's about soppy old love and I love them all with all my heart. You live but once, why confine yourself to having to be so against everything when you can spread abit of fun, laughter and happiness? Not to mention an acknowledgement of your pure love for those most special to you in the whole wide world!

FatPenguin Sun 17-Feb-13 12:54:07

MusicalEndorphins- Yes she bought the cards for OH to give to his daughters. 'These are for DD1 and DD2 from you - write in them' sort of thing. He didn't tell MIL she couldn't give cards from herself but he just said it isn't something he wants to do.
And yes I also wondered why it was just girls in the family who gets them, as you said it should be for boys and girls or no one at all.

Apparently MIL does this every year and every year he says no so she signs them herself and pretends their from him.

DomesticCEO Sun 17-Feb-13 12:52:55

BrianCox, nope no insinuation whatsover that its peverted but why leave sons out? If you have children of both genders why would dads only give cards to their daughters and not their sons?

MusicalEndorphins Sun 17-Feb-13 12:15:19

*take, not tale.

MusicalEndorphins Sun 17-Feb-13 12:15:00

OP, do you mean, the cards were to be from your dh, not from her? In that case I tale it back, your dh was not being snotty.
Perhaps her mil thinks the boys would be embarrassed because it is "girly"? (not my opinion) I don't think that is fair, it should be none or all, and the cards should be appropriate for the persons they are for.

Jinsei Sun 17-Feb-13 11:46:44

But still nobody has explained yet why gender comes into it? confused

MusicalEndorphins Sun 17-Feb-13 11:42:55

PS. I think your dh was snotty to his mother.

MusicalEndorphins Sun 17-Feb-13 11:40:49

Some people like to celebrate everything. My mother used to decorate the house with cardboard Valentines, decorate the table, and give us heart shaped pancakes, red jello and cupcakes with red sprinkles decorations on then. We all got chocolates and cards on Valentines Day.
I do not follow suit I may add.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 17-Feb-13 11:35:27

WhatsTheBuzz nail on the head.

It would be interesting to know how many people who celebrate Christmas, do so to the letter (midnight mass, church on Christmas day) and how many of us save opening presents until Boxing Day, as was the original reason for the 26th December (in the UK at least)

I said it about Baby Showers the other day, other traditions/cultures should be openly embraced. It gets on my tits nerves the way that it is sneered upon, and the good old 'Americanism' line is rolled out time and again.

What's wrong with embracing other cultures? Or should ours (UK) not evolve and just stay the same forever? If so, for what reason? Culture is not fixed, it is life, it is something that breathes and evolves over time.

can you tell I am putting off housework?

WhatsTheBuzz Sun 17-Feb-13 11:27:12

as
for banging on about the origins of Valentine's day, do you do that at
christmas/easter/halloween too? fgs, what are you actually trying to
insinuate?

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 17-Feb-13 11:25:18

If its about non romantic love then why the dads to daughters thing?

but why not? Unless you (you in general) are insinuating the dad is doing it for perverted reasons.

Sometimes in life, there is no ulterior motive/deep thought - maybe, just maybe, it's an innocent little gesture aimed at bringing a smile to a face?

<throws rainbows and sparkly shit around MN>

wink

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 17-Feb-13 11:22:00

I send DD a card and usually get her a little present.

I started that tradition after my friend telling me that her dad always bought her a card and she really loved it (always left it unsigned, she always pretended to not know who it was from - silly family tradition, but meant a lot to them).

I liked the idea of doing that for my DD (9 yo). I have never sent a V card to anybody (other than home made card to my parents when I was little) and have never celebrated V day, so the 'romantic' love thing holds no ties to the day, for me.

Owing to the onus I have put on getting DD a card, V day is all about 'Love' whatever that means to you as a person/family, but not 'romance' to me.

DS is due in <deep breaths> 5 weeks omg am hyperventilating and I did think how lovely it would be next year to get him involved too! (although it will mean absolutely nowt to him, being 11 months old! grin )

WhatsTheBuzz Sun 17-Feb-13 11:16:07

get
a grip! Unless your MIL is actually a creep in general, it's weird that
in your head this is an issue. I was given a flyer for a Valentine's
themed kids' craft morning, is that inappropriate too!?

CheeseStrawWars Sun 17-Feb-13 11:16:00

St Valentine is the patron saint of engaged couples and happy marriages... it's a romantic love thing. St Sarah is the patron saint of daughters - she has a day on 19th August - perhaps your DH could tell your MIL he'll hang onto the cards til then? wink

Why did your MIL get your DH cards anyway - if he wanted to do that, then surely he'd have got his own?

Jinsei Sun 17-Feb-13 11:10:32

domestic, I tried to make the same point yesterday but it didn't come out very clearly! grin

I would genuinely like to hear from someone who does the dads to daughters/mums to sons thing as to why they do it like that!

DomesticCEO Sun 17-Feb-13 11:02:18

Jinsei, that was the point I was trying to make but you put it so much better than me!

If its about non romantic love then why the dads to daughters thing?

That's what I think is weird!

Jinsei Sun 17-Feb-13 10:47:50

I think it's depressing (and weird) that people are so quick to label practices weird just because it's not what they do.

But it's not quite that simple, is it? Personally, I would never send a valentine's card to my dc, my friends or my parents etc., because for me, that's not what this festival is about. However, I see nothing weird about other people doing it if that's what they want to do.

What I do find a bit odd is the number of parents who only seem to send cards to their children of the opposite gender - mainly dads to daughters but also mums to sons. If it is a celebration of non-romantic family love, why does gender even come into it? Why don't the cards go from mum and dad, to both sons and daughters? (And before anybody jumps on me, i know they do in some families and that's not what I'm talking about). This is the aspect I find a bit difficult to understand, and nobody has really explained it.

SarahBumBarer Sun 17-Feb-13 10:23:09

I think it's depressing (and weird) that people are so quick to label practices weird just because it's not what they do.

shushpenfold Sun 17-Feb-13 10:16:20

Lovely, lovely grin Obviously having a moment this morning (a lovely one!)

shushpenfold Sun 17-Feb-13 10:13:10

It's lovely....I used to send one to my dad, being that I loved him for being my lovely dad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now