Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think giving a valentines card to your daughter is a bit weird?

(104 Posts)
FatPenguin Sat 16-Feb-13 21:02:14

MIL got valentines cards for OH to give to his daughters (15 and 12 years old). He refused and said he thought it was a bit odd giving valentines card to your kids. MIL is now in a huff with him.
Do people do this?

FatPenguin Sat 16-Feb-13 21:18:58

Can you get v'day cards with son or daughter on them then? The ones MIL had got were 'to the one I love' type ones..

TheYamiOfYawn Sat 16-Feb-13 21:19:07

In our household, DP and I don't exchange cards, but we made cards for the children and DD made cards for us all.

aldiwhore Sat 16-Feb-13 21:19:19

Should also say that thinking it's 'weird' almost inplies the father has some inappropriate feelings for his dd... so maybe a better word is available that doesn't turn this into a paedo emergency. YABU for that too. smile

EstherRancid Sat 16-Feb-13 21:19:57

i think originally St Valentine was about romance, but there's fuck all romantic about hiking up the prices of flowers and posh chocs for the day is there? grin

we gave DD a card, it reads 'happy valentines day' on the front and 'to you' on the insided

i used to give the DSs a card when they were younger too.

i used to send my nan a card and small gift too, she loved it, said it was lovely to get a little note from someone saying they loved you

TidyDancer Sat 16-Feb-13 21:19:57

Yes people do this, and no, it's not weird.

Annunziata Sat 16-Feb-13 21:20:48

I send my sons them smile

My SIL told me I was mental and no wonder they are mummy's boys hmm

crashdoll Sat 16-Feb-13 21:21:54

My dad always gave them to me and my sister. Hated it. It was the furthest thing from sweet and loving but he is an arse, so I'm biased.

MyDarlingClementine Sat 16-Feb-13 21:41:26

I think its adorable.

How is it odd to send a card to them on a day about love - to say I Love You?

DorisIsWaiting Sat 16-Feb-13 21:54:10

DD1 got VERY upset last year as lots of the children in her class got one from parents and she didn't untill I hurridly made one.

This year all 3 dd's got a card.

(If 59p keeps them happy and reminds them that they are loved then I haven't got a problem with that!)

honeytea Sat 16-Feb-13 21:55:47

My mum always gave us a heart shaped lolly or some heart chocolates.

I think it is odd that it is your mil giving your dp a card for him to give to your dd, if your dp wanted to give your dds a card that is lovely but it's non of mil's business.

Why don't you suggest mil sends the cards to your dds?

mrsbunnylove Sat 16-Feb-13 21:59:23

loathesome. i recall my mum making me make a valentine's card for my dad and him sending me to the post office to 'get one for your mum' which later ended up in an envelope with my name on and i was supposed to be pleased.

their game. i was just the stooge. i'd be six at the most.

bedmonster Sat 16-Feb-13 22:06:05

DP always gets one for the DDs. Unfortunately this year he didn't quite read all the card and the inside makes a reference to a big banana blush grin

They know it's from him, and think it's funny. They are 7 and 8.
DP and I aren't the soppy gushy type, for us it's just a day of having a nice dinner and the DDs have a special meal too. We don't see it as a romantic day at all.

Flisspaps Sat 16-Feb-13 22:09:22

My mum used to make them for us when we were kids, and secretly post them through the letterbox - valentines day was almost always in half term when I was little.

TheBuskersDog Sat 16-Feb-13 22:10:14

My Dh gives our daighter a card. I think it's really sweet. It depends how you see Valentines, we just use it as an excuse to show a bit of love and be a bit soppy. My son gives his sisters valentines too.

Why doesn't your husband send one to your son then?

thegreylady Sat 16-Feb-13 22:11:35

My dad always sent me one signed 'Guess Who?' in his handwriting!!he sent mum one with an identical message but hers had kisses!

no, we dont do valentines cards for the kids and I never got one from my parents when I was a child either. I think its a bit strange too

workhouse Sat 16-Feb-13 22:14:58

We do...DH nd I exchange cringy lovey dovey ones and the kids get a fun one each. Its all very harmless and fun.

CabbageLeaves Sat 16-Feb-13 22:15:31

I posted one to my DD at uni. My younger child found 3 heart shaped chocs in her lunch box and was completely thrilled.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Sat 16-Feb-13 22:16:14

I bought my mum flowers, at nearly 30, shes still my mummy.

bedmonster Sat 16-Feb-13 22:18:12

Ah Greg, that's sweet!

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 16-Feb-13 22:18:57

My dad always got us sweets, DH got DD a flower. Think you are trying to make something inappropriate when it isn't. Nursery gave all the kids love hearts - is that weird too ? hmm

FatPenguin Sat 16-Feb-13 22:19:49

Thebuskersdog- we don't have any children together, they are OH's daughters.
MIL buys a valentines card for her daughter/granddaughters but not sons/grandsons. But girls have always been favoured in family.
To those of you who buy them for your DC's, do you also buy them for your parents or any other family members?

our school didnt do anything for valentines day and I only got something for dh and not for the 2 kids or mum, etc - didnt occur to me to get them anything

Jaynerae Sun 17-Feb-13 00:22:53

DD's friend came into playground on Thursday morning with a valentines card, She showed DD and said I think it is from either boy A, Boy B or Boy C, what do you think? DD said not boy A as it doesn't like you, sorry, but true. DD's friend replies ' he does he just hides it well.'

I was desperately trying to hide laughter, they are 9 btw. I know her parents sent her the card they do it every year and she then goes round asking all boys is it from you?

I really couldn't do that to my DD and let her think it was from a boy.

HolidayArmadillo Sun 17-Feb-13 00:32:05

My dad always bought me and my sis flowers on valentines. Very sweet I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now