Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think giving a valentines card to your daughter is a bit weird?

(104 Posts)
FatPenguin Sat 16-Feb-13 21:02:14

MIL got valentines cards for OH to give to his daughters (15 and 12 years old). He refused and said he thought it was a bit odd giving valentines card to your kids. MIL is now in a huff with him.
Do people do this?

yousankmybattleship Sat 16-Feb-13 21:04:19

My Dh gives our daighter a card. I think it's really sweet. It depends how you see Valentines, we just use it as an excuse to show a bit of love and be a bit soppy. My son gives his sisters valentines too.

Monty27 Sat 16-Feb-13 21:06:24

Naffola

WTF? confused

MolotovCocktail Sat 16-Feb-13 21:06:33

It's just a lighthearted thing, IMHO. It depends on context, I s'pose.

EuroShagmore Sat 16-Feb-13 21:08:02

My parents used to do one for me. <saddo> I knew it was them but played along. smile

Euphemia France Sat 16-Feb-13 21:08:06

My dad used to, and DH sends one to DD. It's sweet. smile

Annunziata Italy Sat 16-Feb-13 21:08:33

I give my DC Valentines, it's just a lighthearted wee card.

hippo123 Sat 16-Feb-13 21:08:39

Personally I've never Quite understood why an adult would get a child a valentines day card or a child make an adult one. To me it's a thing between two adults in love. I know many would disagree though. Yanbu

CockyFox Sat 16-Feb-13 21:08:51

It is weird but people do it. My uncle sends my cousin flowers every valentines day has done as long as I can remember she is a married mum now but he still does it. Even weirder is it is always the sane flowes he sends to my Aunt (his wife) and his sister.

I don't think it's weird and would hope that if DP and I have a girl that he would give one to her.

I think it's lovely and you can get many valentines cards that aren't 'romantic'.

AuntieMaggie Sat 16-Feb-13 21:09:05

I always got a card from my dad. Nothing weird about it. In other countries its a day for all types of love (friendships etc) not just romantic love.

mynewpassion Sat 16-Feb-13 21:09:45

Isn't Valentine's about love? I think it's sweet.

CockyFox Sat 16-Feb-13 21:10:08

Same flowers not sane flowes.

mum11970 Sat 16-Feb-13 21:11:02

My dh has always bought the dds valentine cards. Eldest is 23, lives with her partner and son and still got one off dad this year. It's just a bit of fun.

wonderingsoul Sat 16-Feb-13 21:11:35

dc got one each from their great nan from the USA.. they werent lovey dovey ones atall. . one was spider man and the other toy story.. just saying funny poem and happy valentines we wish you where there.

I wouldn't do it but don't see the harm.

We write a Valentine's card for each of our DCs every year, with a little letter inside telling them how much we love them and how proud we are of them. We tell them these things on the other 364 days too, but it's a nice thing for them to keep.

I used to get one from my dad. It was kind of half embarrassing, and half nice... the embarrassment was more because I didn't get one from anybody else!

If that's your family tradition then fine... would be a bit odd to start now if he'd never done this before, though. IMO.

NobbyClark Sat 16-Feb-13 21:12:18

Our dd puts loads into the day (she is 10) and sends boys in her class cards and gets really excited about the chance of her getting one back.

Last year she didn't get be in the morning and was soooo gutted so my dad sent her a mystery one. This year DH sent her a mystery one. Then dd2(4) got upset so I had to send her one too......... grin

AuntieMaggie Sat 16-Feb-13 21:12:47

And I made all my workmates cakes for valentines to show that I care...

and tbh when I was a teen getting a card from.my dad was better than getting none esp as he didn't sign them so I could pretend they were from someone else to my mates!

ShowOfHands Sat 16-Feb-13 21:13:04

DD made a card for me at school. I put a card in her bookbag. It's just a sign of affection.

It's only weird if you hang weird ideas from it.

FatPenguin Sat 16-Feb-13 21:13:15

But isn't it meant to be about romance? If it was just about people you love then surely you'd send cards to all people you love e.g like Christmas..

wonderingsoul Sat 16-Feb-13 21:13:58

why do girls only get them to the poster who mentioned if they had a girl they would do it.

I once made one for my brother on moonpig. It was sent through he post and it took him ages to work out it was from me!!

Dd2 came home from school with heart pictures for me and DH.

Monty27 Sat 16-Feb-13 21:14:56

Giving dcs cards is not in the original spirit of the St V celebration in the UK. Aside from the fact it's more commercial crap.

aldiwhore Sat 16-Feb-13 21:18:00

My Dad did this for me one year, his intentions were good, but I felt rotten... not only did no boy my own age fancy me (because when you're 12, fancy is a far as you think) but my parents obviously knew, felt sorry for me and thought that it would cheer me up. It didn't.

I guess it depends how you view Valentine's Day... I always viewed it from a romance perspective, therefore, we wouldn't think of sending our kids Valentine's Day cards. Some people see it as a day about 'love' in all it's forms, so for them it's not weird.

YABU... even though you may view it as romantic love, other might not.

We don't really celebrate it asfor us a) it's just commercial tat b) it feels a bit enforced romance, which for me is not romantic and c) no one really knows who the fuck St Valentine was, and even those who do couldn't possibly reason that Cupid was in anyway involved, different religion. (But if you like it, do it and be happy).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now