To judge people who use could of/should of/would of?

(185 Posts)
sneezingwakesthebaby Sat 09-Feb-13 18:59:21

Am I being unreasonable?

I suppose I am a bit because someone could have any form of difficulty which affects their grammar.

But generally, I still form an opinion about someone and what type of person they are just based on their use of "of" instead of "have". I don't decide to do this. It just automatically happens when I read it.

PickledInAPearTree Sat 09-Feb-13 19:27:18

I was about to say that flowery.

Would've and would of for eg sound similar.

countrykitten Sat 09-Feb-13 19:27:27

YANB Same applies to your and you're and other such gems.

(Since it's a question not a statement).

No idea what happened to the formatting there.

fluffiphlox Sat 09-Feb-13 19:28:19

I can't bear it. It's the sign of someone who doesn't read or reads without noticing. And don't get me started on it's and its.

PickledInAPearTree Sat 09-Feb-13 19:30:33

I just type on my phone on here with my thumb. If I get the odd typo I'm not going to get worked up over it, it's a chat forum.

ilovesooty Sat 09-Feb-13 19:30:44

ilove - no, you don't necessarily do it automatically. I can tell this, because 'one' is better stylistically than 'you' in that sentence, but neither you nor I went for it, because we chose instead to be colloquial

Yes, LRD, but that's register/stylistic preference, not grammatical inaccuracy. I can't see why someone would write "could of" in a casual context when they wouldn't use it in a formal situation.

countrykitten Sat 09-Feb-13 19:30:47

I will add that I am a teacher to stop people from labelling me as sneering because I insist on a certain standard.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 09-Feb-13 19:32:01

YABU to judge, but YANBU to find it deeply irritating. It makes me itch.

PickledInAPearTree Sat 09-Feb-13 19:33:16

Your not in school now and we aren't your pupils.

Plus being a teacher is no guarantee of having good grammar.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 09-Feb-13 19:34:31

pickeld how can 'should of' instead of 'should have' be a typo?

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 09-Feb-13 19:35:48

It's you're not in school now grin, that one's undertsandable though!

PickledInAPearTree Sat 09-Feb-13 19:35:49

Did I say that? I don't think I did. You will see spelling mistakes in my posts on here though.

SandCastlesGoSquash Sat 09-Feb-13 19:36:01

YABU, I didn't even know it was could have until about 16 when my grandad corrected me! The accent in my area makes "have" and "of" sound very similar, so I had grown up thinking could of was the correct way. and it's not a poor/uneducated area either, before you judge me too

PickledInAPearTree Sat 09-Feb-13 19:36:19

My iPhone is in charge!

Rattitude Sat 09-Feb-13 19:37:15

Flouncing, it is obviously too subtle for me...

Actually, when I make mistakes, I want to be told that I have made a mistake because I do not want to make the same mistake over and over again and be judged for making it. Yes, it does grate a bit when you are told you have made a mistake but I much prefer it rather than have people sneering.

Personally, I do find it patronising when people who are educated do not share their knowledge to improve other people's.

Fair enough, plenty of people do not want to educate themselves further but I think it is kinder to point out mistakes (in a nice manner) to people as they may appreciate being put right.

I have never done it on this forum but in real life, yes, I do it on a regular basis. I still have plenty of friends... smile

PickledInAPearTree Sat 09-Feb-13 19:39:02

I think unless its the right context or the person has started it pointing out someone's spelling/grammar mistakes on here makes you look like a huge penis I have to say.

BumpingFuglies Sat 09-Feb-13 19:39:47

You could of waited till later to post this OP. In fact you should of. I would of got home sooner if I'd of known grin

usualsuspect Sat 09-Feb-13 19:40:01

I don't insist on a certain standard on an internet four

ilove - might as well say, I can't understand why someone would employ poor style, though.

It is a matter of taste, since none of us is being marked for it. Just recently I wrote 'to' instead of 'too' and I can also write 'two' for either of those. It's not because I don't know the difference. I understand that some people are like you, and once they've learned, they never make a mistake again, but I don't think that is universal or even very common.

usualsuspect Sat 09-Feb-13 19:40:15

expatinscotland Sat 09-Feb-13 19:41:29

ilovesooty Sat 09-Feb-13 19:43:49

"to" instead of "too" could be a typo or very easy to do when you're tired, not concentrating, distracted or in a hurry. I still don't think you'd write "could of" by mistake if you knew it was incorrect.

KellyElly Sat 09-Feb-13 19:44:14

Yes you are being unreasonable to judge what kind of person they are. That makes you a snob of the highest order.

ilovesooty Sat 09-Feb-13 19:44:55

And, of courese, I should have started that sentence with a capital. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now