To cancel these tickets and book my own?

(16 Posts)
MariusEarlobe Sat 09-Feb-13 16:36:11

I have to go to a certain city for a meeting and its only for two hours but its late so I have had to book a hotel.

As I had booked a hotel and it was paid for I thought It would be nice to invite my mum as she does not get to go to many places as my dad will not travel and dd as it is dds birthday and I thought it would be a nice treat for dd to go to a couple of attractions and us use it as a weekend away treat.

My mum kept asking did I want her to organise train tickets, I said no thanks and would do it myself when I got paid, she asked twice more in two days and again I said no I was sorting it.

She has gone and booked them on advance none refundable tickets and gone off the cheapest prices even though she knew I was paying for it and work would cover my part of it anyway, obviously I will pay for these tickets.

But shes booked tickets that only get us there an hour before my meeting and we leave at 12 noon the next day.

So we will be unable to do anything when we get there other than book in hotel and go to my meeting at 5pm.

The next morning none of attractions open till 10 and our train is 12 noon so we are not going to have time to do anything there either.

MariusEarlobe Sat 09-Feb-13 16:36:57

Sorry they arent refundable so by cancel I just mean buy extra tickets for a better time.

HecateWhoopass Sat 09-Feb-13 16:39:51

I would ask her why she chose those times.

Perhaps she doesn't want to be away longer.

I would leave her to use one of the tickets she booked for herself but buy better ones for you and DD - she shouldn't have ignored you so can travel alone

Just tell her you are booking earlier tickets and why. Ask if she wants an earlier ticket or if she would travel alone. YANBU.

kalidanger Sat 09-Feb-13 16:44:38

Is she insisting insistently on being helpful but getting it totally wrong or is she not OK with doing it differently?

I'd double-check she's not got a bloody good reason then cancel and rebook.

I'd tell her you're getting different tickets for yourself & DD and ask her if she wants to come on the same trains as you or not. Maybe she just doesn't want a long trip.

MariusEarlobe Sat 09-Feb-13 16:48:02

Oh no she is not bothered about that Hecate, she was actually talking about staying another night at one point yesterday, she booked those times because the next train was £10 more (for all three of us not each) for two hours later and the evening one that got back in late (9pm and that doesnt bother her) was £20 more altogether.

MariusEarlobe Sat 09-Feb-13 16:51:32

Just to add she often comes away with us and as initiated days/holidays and weekends away with me and dd before and regularly books trains that arrive back at 10/11pm at night.

We go abroad with her and she comes abroad with us, she has travelled round Europe on her own on a coach trip a couple of years back.

Being away is not the issue.

kalidanger Sat 09-Feb-13 16:53:12

She being 'helpful' by saving money? Tell her the money doesn't matter (assume it doesn't) then rebook.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Sat 09-Feb-13 16:53:48

rebook so its worthwhile going and just tell her work paid for you and the 'refund' from hers made up the extra for hers and DD's ticket so nothing lost. thats assuming you can afford to do this. Guess she was trying to be helpful but did not quite think it through.

Billwoody Sat 09-Feb-13 16:53:49

The tickets might not be refundable but you may be able to amend the times you travel for a charge. I do that regularly with advance tickets. Worth checking.

Is she as tight as a gnat's chuff?

MariusEarlobe Sat 09-Feb-13 16:59:53

kalidangerSat 09-Feb-13 16:53:12
She being 'helpful' by saving money? Tell her the money doesn't matter (assume it doesn't) then rebook.

Yes Im guessing its this entirely but I had already told her work are covering a bit part of it and I would pay rest (it actually works out cheaper to take mum and dd as we have a rail card than it does me alone anyway!) instead of having to fork out for a party for dd.

MariusEarlobe Sat 09-Feb-13 17:01:16

She is not tight, she paid for us to go on holiday last year when she knew we could not afford, she just likes a bargain!

kalidanger Sat 09-Feb-13 17:02:11

Bless her then smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now