to want to go outside and slash down the SOLD sign outside our rented home?

(288 Posts)
rocket74 Sat 09-Feb-13 09:03:44

I am so so upset. Our happily rented home for us with 2 small children has been sold and we will have to move out. We wanted to stay here indefinately. Been here 3.5 years but never realised when we moved in our rent was paying for the owners care home fees and that when she died it would be sold. Thought they meant it when they said long term rental.
So gutted. Some couple came round with their kid and dad who was obviously putting up the deposit for them. Alright for some!!
ABSOLUTELY bereft - we have tried looking for somewhere new - but we need an extra £400 month to get somewhere even vaguely similar as rents have gone crazy in this area - Brighton and Hove.
I just want to scream and slash the sign because if I don't I will end up slashing something else - which won't help issues.
Our little boy loves this house - he has autism - and the garden is big enough for him to run and do his laps - as is the living dining room.
I just want to be able to provide him with a home to suit his needs but I don't see how. I'm just crying all the time and feel totally hopeless.

Will I be done for criminal damage if I do smash down that fucking sign?

Bearbehind Sun 10-Feb-13 18:51:28

Rocket, I think you are being a bit unrealistic in your expectations. On one hand you want to stay in the area and know that rental prices have increased but on the other hand you won't even consider the house next door which at least ticks the location box.

I'm sure we'd all like to live in big houses with huge gardens but life isn't like that. There's only 4 of you, how much room do you need?

Something has to give somewhere along the line.

zwischenzug Sun 10-Feb-13 18:39:34

Part ownership is always highly suspect, and you are right it makes property difficult to sell on.

I have seen one example of a decent part ownership scheme - 70% ownership for over 55's, with no rent due on the other 30%. Anything with rent charged on the other half and you're up the creek without a paddle. The rent can go up and up and because you cannot easily move out you have to suck it up.

The best advice I would give you is to do what I did. Rent the cheapest place you reasonably can, and save up as much as possible to buy somewhere. Even when you have one of the few decent landlords renting usually sucks big time. You have no rights because if you try to enforce anything that is in legislation, along comes a S21 with two months notice for you to leave.

You might want to look at moving up north as well, housing is cheaper (but still far too expensive) there.

ErikNorseman Sun 10-Feb-13 17:52:47

Rocket, do you have any family locally that you could camp out with for a month to save the deposit? Or get a credit union loan? Do you both drive? I know it fucks up the schooling issue but you really can rent some very decent houses if you move out of brighton. I have managed to work in brighton for the last 2.5 years while living in lancing (hollingbury actually, and now moulsecoomb) takes a maximum of 40 mins to get to work including dropping DS at nursery. Once you take the plunge it's really fine.

rocket74 Sun 10-Feb-13 17:38:51

springlamb I have looked at that homebuy option - but I have read lots of negative things about part ownership and that it is really difficult to sell on later?? Also it says it is a leasehold with 89 years remaining - isnt that unusual for an ex council house and also a potential cost later. I thought you weren't meant to let leases slip under 85 years - but I know very little about all that!
I will look into it more - its not a great area so not sure how well it would sell later on.

I don't want to go to the stage of being evicted as surely that will blacklist for all future rents? We have always been (I think) exemplary tenants and have had a good relationship with all landlords so far. Not sure that means much but we know it to be true.

We couldn't move to the house next door - its a lot smaller than this and the garden is postage stamp size - hence why any family moves in, moves out after one summer. Also it would be beyond confusing and upsetting for our son.

specialsubject Sun 10-Feb-13 16:55:21

wow, arsehole central on here. I am NOT referring to the OP - although how dare anyone rent out a place with unusual bathroom decor. ...

Some posters seem to think that all landlords should just shoot themselves for daring to rent out properties, and more so if they eventually want to stop renting them.

fortunately I had tenants with brains. And a good landlord, also with a brain.

As an aside, two houses that I have owned have had mice episodes. Put down poison, sealed up food, used traps, problem solved. No landlord so had to do it myself.

can't find the 'gnashes teeth' smiley.

zwischenzug Sun 10-Feb-13 14:50:21

Oh no wait, you've missed one, the group that move into somebody else's property that they have worked for 20 years to part own, are charged by the bank an extra % for the privilege of not loosing everything they spent 25 years working and saving for, delayed having children until they could afford this investment and then this group of people pay their rent as and when they can be arsed to drag themselves to the bank as direct debit forms are too much trouble.

I could not agree more, I am sick of hearing whiny idiots complaining because they were too stupid to be born before prices trebled, if they were too god damn lazy to turn from an egg into a foetus before the smart investors bought up all the housing supply, why the hell should they expect any help from the rest of us.

The you have greedy entitled people like GoldenBear above, who is complaining that all the expensive housing nearby is owned by the older generation. Doesn't she realise that these people walked 3 miles barefoot in snowdrifts under the blazing August sunshine to make their mortgage payments every month?

We are a small island that is not building any more land, the way that for example, France and Germany do every year. Our older generations should not have to have their views of greenery spoiled by housing developments, we have made it to 2013 without having to build any houses ever in this country, why should we start now?

Goldenbear Sun 10-Feb-13 11:58:31

I agree with edam, more affordable housing needs to be built as the housing situation is dire in this country. It is not as simple as saying people should lower their expectations and save a disproportionately large deposit from an income that has to go on a disproportionately large rent (even in a cheaper area) and disproportionately huge travel costs to get from thep cheaper area to your job in the expensive area. There is a lack of supply of affordable housing and areas like the OP lives in and that is the problem!

I live in the same area and can confirm Hollingbury's status as not been the hip part of town by the sea. It is NOT Hove as some ignorant poster keeps banging on about. It is on the edge of town and at 950 a month should be a feasible option for a family whose work is nearby. It is ludicrous to think that it is the inefficiencies of someone like the OP rather than circumstances that are out of her control I.e the housing supply. The only impact she can have on this situation is at the ballot box, if indeed any political party is going to dare to tackle this problem head on!

I am one of the lucky ones who owns (paying mortgage) on a small 2 bedroom flat, good area but we couldn't afford a house and my DP
Is Part ii Archirect. We moved out of the area to Haywards Heath and paid 950 PCM for a house and rented out a 1 bedroom flat in Hove but it ended up costing alot in travel as DP works in Brighton.

On the road i live on there are spacious family homes and some less spacious edwardian properties but with hideously high price tags. These properties are invariably inhabited by older couples or single old people We are a family of 4 cramped in our small 2 bedroom flat, whilst they are knocking about in their family size homes. It is an absurd situation and all as a consequence of the insufficient housing supply!

edam Sun 10-Feb-13 10:26:13

Having to be evicted before the council will re-house you is a stupid, cruel rule. It's not fair on tenants nor landlords.

We need to build more affordable housing, both rental and for sale. The housing market in this country is fucked up and the ruddy politicians need to sort it.

Adversecamber Sun 10-Feb-13 10:21:13

I lived in rented accommodation for years but before dc, I remember moving six times in five years. That was stressful enough. The rental market is a disgrace in this country, I hope you find somewhere lovely.

Adversecamber Sun 10-Feb-13 10:18:33

Op just in response to your comment about LL liking students.

Just had a look at houses available to students in Brighton and Hove.
Rents vary obviously but charging 400 per room per month for each student in a house and then the classic one reception room rented as a bedroom as well makes a lot more money than renting to a family.

I didn't see in your posts how many rooms the house your in has but four lettable rooms would make 1600 a month instead of the 995 your paying.

AngelaCatalano Sun 10-Feb-13 10:06:32

Just want to express my sympathy- we rent privately too and I really wish that either a) we could buy somewhere in the area we are settled or b) that this govt could introduce long term rental agreements like those in Europe.

But fat chance of either! sad
I also wish those who are saying that the OP is BU would realise that renting doesn't have to be so expensive or unstable, it's just the way it is set up in this country.

Best of luck finding something else OP.

I feel for you, OP, we've been in our rented home for nearly six years and have to leave and I am devastated - my life is within half a mile of here and there are literally no houses available to rent here. Luckily we have found somewhere further away but it is an extra £300 a month which makes me nervous. We already live modestly but I never ever want to do this again so am determined to come up with some kind of deposit while in our next home and make the next move the last one for a long time, even if it means massive compromises.

springlamb Sun 10-Feb-13 09:37:24

But on the more practical side, ie putting a roof over your head...
I'm presuming here that you have an income sufficient to pay a Brighton rent, so have some mortgage-ability.
Have you looked at the homebuy website, search for 3 bedrooms under the Brighton & Hove local authority. There is a 50% share of house available in BN2 for £124,995. Look at that garden! Even taking into account the rent on the other 50% you may be better off anyway.
Is something like this a possibility? You will have some deposit back from your current landlord to take into account.

SunflowersSmile Sun 10-Feb-13 08:50:34

Lordy me this thread gone odd.
Interesting thought of someone up thread saying check out next doors rental.
I imagine you have already done so Rocket.
Hope you find somewhere quickly. If you have good relationship with LL may as well ask them if they know of other reasonably priced properties for a good tenant.
Good luck again!!

Mosman Sun 10-Feb-13 03:04:31

You should keep up with the developments in society, we now have two sorts of people:

Oh no wait, you've missed one, the group that move into somebody else's property that they have worked for 20 years to part own, are charged by the bank an extra % for the privilege of not loosing everything they spent 25 years working and saving for, delayed having children until they could afford this investment and then this group of people pay their rent as and when they can be arsed to drag themselves to the bank as direct debit forms are too much trouble.
I'd hate for them to be left out whilst we're making sweeping generalizations.

dikkertjedap Sat 09-Feb-13 21:16:30

Well, I must say, tenants (both private and state sector) at least have many more rights in the Netherlands (and schools are generally quite good as well) - maybe think of moving there????

(customer service is absolutely dreadful in the Netherlands so it is not all perfect grin)

zwischenzug Sat 09-Feb-13 20:58:14

Yes YABU not to happily bend to the whims of your property owning overlords from the land and property owning class of this country.

You should keep up with the developments in society, we now have two sorts of people:

1. Those who own land and/or property.

2. Those who have few (if any) enforceable rights and are to be milked for every penny by those in group 1.

You should be grateful that they have allowed you to exist inside their investment for 3.5 years, and I hope to god you weren't rude enough to put any nails in the walls or god forbid, paint any walls.

Remember your generous masters have been subsidising you with the lower than market rate rent you mentioned. Clearly they have been losing money hand over fist while you have been enjoying a standard of living you neither deserve nor can afford.

Your impudence is disgraceful, landlords should not have to worry with the trivialities of the lives of those who pay the profit on their investment (remember it is their investment, not your home).

That is all.

Alittlestranger Sat 09-Feb-13 20:51:19

The OP hasn't been on a reduced rent. She agreed a market rent with the landlord when she moved in and since then rents in the area have gone silly. It's common for landlords not to try and play catch-up with every localised bubble when they have a good tenant in place.

I despair at the ignorance of people who say "play by the rules of private renting or buy your own home/get a council house".

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sat 09-Feb-13 20:44:23

I feel very sorry for you OP. Unfortunately though the house is not your property and as such you have no reasonable expectation to stay. The new family moving in will most likely have a mortgage which they will have to work hard to pay off. I hope that you find somewhere else to live soon.

Graceparkhill Sat 09-Feb-13 20:42:26

I expect you have already considered this but just in case...
Have you considered trying to rent the adjoining semi? You said it became vacant every 3 months or so. I am sure that landlord would be delighted to have long term stable tenants.

JakeBullet Sat 09-Feb-13 20:42:22

<shrugs> whatever

splashymcsplash Sat 09-Feb-13 20:40:33

Op it sounds like a tough situation, but your anger is rather misplaced. Maybe better to channel your energy into finding a new home?

Matildaduck Sat 09-Feb-13 20:37:55

Jake catch up love......she will not qualify for a house in Hove period. She can wait until they drag her onto the street then what do you think will happen? Will they will magic up a house?....build her a new one?

It's not a judgment it's an opinion. I gave my view on treating the landlord badly.

Really go sigh at yourself!

fuckwittery Sat 09-Feb-13 20:31:36

Tenants don't have to disclose every detail of your life! Just financial info to ensure you can pay the rent! Am I meant to tell my tenants when they move in, oh yes we have x amount of equity tied up here, now we would like to purchase in another y years and it will depend on how much our house goes for if we need equity from the rented place, and we might move earlier depending on if dh's mum becomes unwell or dh's sister's marriage breaks up and oh you should know that I am still childbearing age and dh hasn't had the snip, in fact my first pregnancy was a one off accident so I'm known for fertility and if I got pregnant we'd definitely want to sell up. Come off it! How entitled are you to think you should be told where the rent goes! No doubt they thought there dear old mum would be around for years yet, I'm sure they feel terrible for inconveniencing you by her early death !

MmeLindor Sat 09-Feb-13 20:24:12

You know, it is possible that the OP just wanted a wee whinge and was never intending to tear down the sign.

And yes, I have sympathy for you, Rocket. Renting in UK is dire, and those who are posting from the comfort and security of their own home might not realise that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now