to want to go outside and slash down the SOLD sign outside our rented home?

(288 Posts)
rocket74 Sat 09-Feb-13 09:03:44

I am so so upset. Our happily rented home for us with 2 small children has been sold and we will have to move out. We wanted to stay here indefinately. Been here 3.5 years but never realised when we moved in our rent was paying for the owners care home fees and that when she died it would be sold. Thought they meant it when they said long term rental.
So gutted. Some couple came round with their kid and dad who was obviously putting up the deposit for them. Alright for some!!
ABSOLUTELY bereft - we have tried looking for somewhere new - but we need an extra £400 month to get somewhere even vaguely similar as rents have gone crazy in this area - Brighton and Hove.
I just want to scream and slash the sign because if I don't I will end up slashing something else - which won't help issues.
Our little boy loves this house - he has autism - and the garden is big enough for him to run and do his laps - as is the living dining room.
I just want to be able to provide him with a home to suit his needs but I don't see how. I'm just crying all the time and feel totally hopeless.

Will I be done for criminal damage if I do smash down that fucking sign?

ErikNorseman Sat 09-Feb-13 09:36:07

If OP wants to get housed by the local authority then she must wait until she gets legally evicted. Otherwise they will do nothing.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Sat 09-Feb-13 09:37:15

LRD, I was giving my opinion, as is everyone else. The OP is allowed a rant. And I'm allowed to respond to it.

OurPlanetNeptune Sat 09-Feb-13 09:37:38

I actually do see why heidi gave you a biscuit. The fact that your child has SN does not excuse how horrible your post is OP. Someone's relative has died. It is a rental, you lived there for 3.5 years someone's relative had died. The relatives want to sell up and move on.

I agree that you need to focus on managing the move for your ds, there are some lovely people here who will give you some great advice in that respect.

PoppadomPreach Sat 09-Feb-13 09:38:07

Still a bit harsh Heidi. The OP, who has an autistic son, is about to be made homeless. Yes she has written an emotional post, but I don't think it takes much empathising to work out why.

If you can post something constructive (even if it is in disagreement with the OP), why post at all.....??

I agree with Hecate who suggests you look into your rights and check they have applied all correct processes. Long term tenants do have rights. That said, getting yourself into a bitter fight will be costly and probably not help anyone, especially your son, as it will just increase the tensions in the house. If you do find however that you are entitled to say 6 months notice, then that would obviously help you find your next home. Good luck.

thornrose Sat 09-Feb-13 09:38:36

I feel your pain. I received notice to leave my "long term" rental after just 18 months, in November last year. I also have a dd with AS and it was so stressful.

We found a lovely flat and the landlord has assured me it really is long term but I can't relax yet.

Keep ranting, get it out of your system.

So was I, lady. We are allowed to comment on each other's posts as well as the OP.

And on that note, a biscuit to the person who acknowledged there may be reasons why the OP is renting. No, you think?! hmm

Mimishimi Sat 09-Feb-13 09:39:58

YABU. It's not your house. That said, the new owners probably won't care much for the sign.But please don't vandalise anything else. We bought our flat from someone who was renting it out. Even after the tenant's had moved out ( they were given three months notice) it took us a month to clean up to the point where we felt comfortable moving in. This was without repainting or getting new carpets.

Isityouorme Sat 09-Feb-13 09:40:18

You are renting ... It was never going to be forever so YABU.

Those who say you should stay until you are evicted are out of order. Why should the owners have to pay out solicitors fees and go to court when you have no right to be there.

Put your energies into finding somewhere else rather than being angry at what you knew would happen one day.

I think it is a bit unfair to say that tenants shouldn't get attached to their home. No, we don't own it, but it is still our family home. Why shouldn't we love it? I unashamedly ADORE my not mine home.

nkf Sat 09-Feb-13 09:42:24

I don't think I would get into a battle over rights. It's the sort of situation where you go with grace. You rented from them. Presumably they were good landlords. Otherwise you would have hated the place. You were good tenants. Be practical.

OurPlanetNeptune Sat 09-Feb-13 09:43:11

Do not stay there until you are evicted, do not add that stress to yourself and your child.

lollilou Sat 09-Feb-13 09:43:13

We may be on the cusp of the same situation op so I do have sympathy for you. But I am refusing to get upset about it even though we love this house. Look at it as if it is another adventure in your life who knows your next house could be even better.

MoreBeta Sat 09-Feb-13 09:43:35

Yes a 3.5 year tenancy is quite a long rental.

I have been in privated rented for 25 years now and as long as you have been given a proper notice period then I suggest you move on. It is your home but it is not your property. The owners are allowed to sell and they are allowed to ask you to leave.

If you are genuinely unable to afford any other property then as otherS have said you need tO wait to be evicted and the council wil be legally obliged to rehouse you. If you move out before eviction then they will class you as 'intentionally homeless'.

That can only happen once the owners have issued you with a valid Section 21 Notice and the court issued an Eviction Order.

AnnIonicIsoTronic Sat 09-Feb-13 09:44:08

Brighton is an exploitative London-by-sea junkie crap hole.

All the brighton families I know have ended up moving to Brighton suburbs - leaving Brighton as a London commuter dormitory.

It might be a chance to spread your wings and find something wonderful & long term.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Sat 09-Feb-13 09:45:01

LRD, yes we are. And I was. And so were you.

I don't really know what the argument is here. I suspect we don't really have one.

I agree with Isityou about the eviction thing.

thornrose Sat 09-Feb-13 09:45:19

God, imagine a life never "getting attached" to your home. I find that so depressing.
How do you do that? Have a morning mantra? "I will not get attached to this home, it is not mine."

heidihole Sat 09-Feb-13 09:45:27

Poppadom she has posted in AIBU

She's asked that question. I've said what I think which is yes YABU.

Are you saying I should only post if my answer was YANBU? My opinion which I've explained is as valid as the next persons. That's why people post in this section. To get a range of opinions.

littleducks Sat 09-Feb-13 09:45:47

Take down the sign if you want, nobody will really care apart from the Estate agednts its advertising. I can understand in a huge time of stress having a sign outside your home alerting the world to your situation is like a kick in the teeth.

You need to go and get legal advice. Is the house being sold with a sitting tenant? I think like others have said you need to stay and wait to be evicted to get anykind of help from the council, which probably is what will happen if you cant afford anywhere else sad. You need proper legal advice thoughnot just MN to decide a course of action.

confused

No, I've no idea what the argument is either. But I had no idea why you were justifying your post to me in the first place. I'm probably missing something.

hatgirl Sat 09-Feb-13 09:53:58

YABU, however much you love the house it is not yours. The current owners do not have anything other than a landlords responsibility for you.

Were you just hoping that they would never have been able to sell it? You must have had some warning that it was happening?

If the landlords have followed the correct procedures then please just graciously move out and say goodbye to the house you leased for a few years. My friends who married in the summer have only just managed to move into the house they bought before they married because the previous tenants refused to move out on a very similar basis to what you are saying. It has caused so much heartache for my friends who have had a rubbish start to their married life. It is not the new buyers fault either, they are just buying a house so don't go round stripping it of things/ breaking things when you leave as t is only them you will hurt and it is not their fault!

LadyClariceCannockMonty Sat 09-Feb-13 09:54:34

LRD, I addressed you (not sure I'd call it 'justifying' my post) because you'd addressed me and my comments.

I was considering not responding, but thought that'd be bad etiquette as you'd addressed me by name.

HecateWhoopass Sat 09-Feb-13 09:55:00

the problem with 'going with grace' is if you have nowhere to go TO - where do you live?

Are people suggesting she moves her stuff onto the street?

She has to have somewhere to live. She cannot and should not leave without somewhere to go to. And the fact of the matter is that if she moves out voluntarily - that counts against her with the council! Or at least it did at the council I used to work at in the housing department and it did at the council I applied to when I was statutorily homeless. (two different authorities)

And yes, she needs to know what her rights are. How long does she legally have to move. If she can't find private rented (as appears to be the case) will the council help. What can she do to be given time to move. What if she can't put the deposit together, what help is there.

The owner died and that's sad. It's terrible for their family and I have been there. Getting rid of the house is a terrible time. They don't need this stress.

but the op is here and she is facing homelessness and she can't just pack up and out onto the street. She can't be homeless to spare them the stress of waiting for her to find a home.

She needs to know where she stands and where she will go and how.

She needs to know what the law says on this. She needs to know what her rights are in this situation.

Muminwestlondon Sat 09-Feb-13 09:58:24

I don't blame OP for being upset. I agree it must be gutting to lose a home you love and end up with something a lot worse/more expensive; at the same time knowing that someone with more money can enjoy having your home.

However the only thing that OP can do is to cut her losses and move on. I agree that a visit to the CAB to investigate housing options might be in order. Has OP investigated local housing associations? I have a colleague a single man who has a HA flat in Brighton (though he inherited the tenancy on the death of his parent). I would be surprised if they cannot consider a family about to be made homeless with two young children.

LIZS Sat 09-Feb-13 10:01:29

Sorry don't get this . The owner has died, time must have elapsed for the next of kin to get probate to sell , there would have been viewings etc of which you were aware . While appreciating there may be a difficult financial leap to bridge this hasn't happened overnight and you could mitigate your frustration by taking practical steps towards finding a new home as suggested by other posters.

Ah, I see lady, sorry, I got the impression you thought I shouldn't have responded to your post, but I must have got the tone wrong. Glad that is cleared up.

hecate is right that the OP may not have an option other than being evicted, because if she genuinely can't afford anywhere else, she has to be found to be homeless and not 'intentionally homeless'. It is a really stupid rule, that. Unfair on tenants and LL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now