Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

...to keep this delivery?

(42 Posts)
ArethaSnellHutt Thu 07-Feb-13 12:36:28

Hi folks, moral dilemma here.

Ordered a towel bale for £30 from ebay on 26th Jan, it arrived on 29th Jan and I left positive feedback for the seller. Last night I got an e-mail notification that the order had been despatched (again) thought it might just be an admin mistake but this morning I received another towel bale.

The seller is a large national company's ebay discount outlet. If it was a private seller I would contact them and tell them of their mistake but as it's a large national company I'm tempted just to keep the second lot of towels and say nowt on the basis that they should be able to manage their ordering system better!

What would you do?

EarnestDullard Thu 07-Feb-13 16:10:21

I had similar recently; ordered something from large company, chased it up when it hadn't arrived 2 weeks later, then two turned up! I phoned them and they said to just keep both.

ArethaSnellHutt Thu 07-Feb-13 16:13:42

Well this was the response:

"Thank you for your email; for some bizarre reason this Order was still showing as not shipped and I have been unable to find any traces of this being dispatched prior to yesterday either via Fed Ex UK or Royal Mail which is why I had the parcel sent again. Its really not worth the cost nor the hassle involved in arranging a collection so call it buy one got one free (minus a hand towel) offer."

RESULT!! grin

Goldmandra Thu 07-Feb-13 16:16:31

smile

Just rewards I think.

Trills Thu 07-Feb-13 16:16:58

Well done :-)

Nice one smile

EarnestDullard Thu 07-Feb-13 16:19:52

Excellent. Guilt-free freebie smile

I wonder if all the people saying 'keep them' would teach their children that 'this is what we do when someone makes a mistake' ? And if so, would you be able to give an example of when you did say this to your DC

JakeBullet Thu 07-Feb-13 16:24:08

I would contact them and tell thrm about thism Ask for them to br collected, chances are that they will consider it not worthwhile and say you can keep them.

I had something similar happen to me and the company just said I could keep the extra item smile

Rooneyisalwaysmoaning Thu 07-Feb-13 16:33:25

Oh well done OP.

I had a mattress delivered by M&S once, well, not once, four times. FOUR times. I'd ordered it, cancelled the order less than an hour later and they obviously didn't connect these two events as it appeared by my front door when I was out. In the rain (it had a plastic cover on but still). I hadn't signed for it or anything.

I rang them, they said you have to keep it INdoors for two weeks till we can collect it.
I did - it was awkward - they then delivered it a second, third and fourth time by which time the wrapping was getting very ragged.

I had phoned them abut a hundred times when someone finally listened and got the bloody thing taken off the system. It went on for weeks.

I got so furious that I considered keeping it but I'm sure they would have somehow punished me, besides which I don't do that sort of thing. But the frustration, Oh my good lord. I never even got an apology, the phone calls must have cost quite a lot.

DeepRedBetty Thu 07-Feb-13 16:40:38

Oh Rooney that's awful!

Too late for you now, but did you consider telling them you were going to be charging for storage? Worked for MIL.

Losingexcessweight Thu 07-Feb-13 16:41:53

Id definatley keep the towels, and if tesco sent me some of someone elses shopping as well as my own - id keep that too

I wouldnt be ringing customer services, its their own fault for delivering duplicate good. I havent got the time to mess about sending it back etc.

Keep them

Rooneyisalwaysmoaning Thu 07-Feb-13 16:42:57

good plan Betty!!

atacareercrossroads Thu 07-Feb-13 17:13:32

"I wonder if all the people saying 'keep them' would teach their children that 'this is what we do when someone makes a mistake' ? And if so, would you be able to give an example of when you did say this to your DC "

No, I wouldnt, but there again I do and say quite a lot that I wouldnt teach my DC to do. As I am sure most parents do.

Cherriesarelovely Thu 07-Feb-13 17:18:06

Call them and see what they say, I did this twice after a double order arrived from The Book People and another time from Thorntons. Both times the company said "don't worry about it, keep them".

who is this benign retailer, if I may ask? grin

Purple2012 Thu 07-Feb-13 17:21:09

It worked out well in the end. I would have done the same. Most companies will tell you to keep them.

Although I ordered some cake decorating stuff, they sent the wrong thing. When I let them know they sent the right one and gave me s Freeport address to send the wrong one back. Gutted - hoped they would have let me keep it.

KenLeeeeeee Thu 07-Feb-13 17:27:06

I had similar from Dunelm Mill. I ordered a naice floor lamp, it arrived with just the base and no shade. I called up to ask where the second box was (the other clearly said 'box 1 of 2') but they had no idea, so offered to send out another shade separately. A day later, another base arrived! Still no shade. I rang again to explain and they offered to again send out the shade and simultaneously collect the superfluous base. The next day, another base and the elusive shade turned up! The courier had no instruction to collect anything from me though. Slightly flustered at now posessing 3 lamps (2 of them shade-less, mind) I called Dunelm again who said I could just keep the extra two lamps by way of an apology gesture for all the buggering about.

Funnily enough I picked up two shades almost identical to the Dunelm one from Tesco for a fiver each, and now happily have 3 naice flamps for the price of one + £10.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now