Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to think that self service is 10 items or less?

(111 Posts)
M0naLisa Tue 05-Feb-13 16:47:04

Or is that not true??

The amount of people that I see take a full trolley of shopping through the self service checkouts then moan tht the bagging area isn't big enough to hold all your shopping bags because if you remove a bag the annoying voice starts wittering self service freezes until the bag is replaced!!
Just use a bloody till if your going to moan!! angry

I probably am BU but bloody hell!!!

LineRunner Tue 05-Feb-13 20:01:05

grin

That is honestly the funniest autocorrect I have ever seen. It has broken the thread.

MrsKeithRichards Tue 05-Feb-13 20:56:39

I keep trying to do it again but I can't get from items to homosexuals mmm.

I'm blaming ds2. He's 9m and was feeding as I was typing (on kindle) his chubby wee hand must have done something.

mum11970 Tue 05-Feb-13 21:08:08

Our local asda has four rows of self service tills. Two rows state 10 items or fewer and two rows have no stipulation on amount of items.

piprabbit Tue 05-Feb-13 21:12:10

Our Sainsbury's has self-service tills designed especially for full trolley loads - complete with their own little conveyor belt.
But they only really work if you go shopping with a friend as you need one person to scan and another to pack.

juneybean Tue 05-Feb-13 21:18:35

I have no idea why any one would choose to use the self-service tills, they piss me off immensely.

MechanicalTheatre Tue 05-Feb-13 21:34:48

I have no idea why anyone would choose to talk to people, they piss me off immensely.

FloatyBeatie Tue 05-Feb-13 21:44:58

I like them. The Tesco machines have a note of stirring celebration in their voice when they tell you that you have completed the transaction. They say something about the fact that you can take your receipt and go, and it sounds momentous and joyful, like "You may now kiss the bride." I feel uplifted.

DuelingFanjo Tue 05-Feb-13 23:20:01

YABU. In my local Sainsbury they have one set of self-service tills which have a sign saying 'baskets only' and another one for everyone. I have taken whole trolleys through, complete with screaming toddler.

TuftyFinch Tue 05-Feb-13 23:34:40

You should go to Waitress you can just self scan as you ground then walk out. It's great.

2rebecca Germany Tue 05-Feb-13 23:43:00

I've been in Asda when they just had 1 proper till operating plus 8 self service ones. There is usually a queue at the proper till so I then use the self service till even if I have a trolley. It's not my fault if supermarkets now don't staff their tills, I want to get my shopping sorted as quickly as possible.
If there isn't a sign limiting shopping to "fewer than x items" then it's my busines how many items I put through. If people who just buy a few things want more dedicated lanes then they should ask the shop for them, or just go to a smaller shop with no self checkouts.
Proper tills are more convenient if you have a trolley though, but a large queue isn't convenient.

poorbuthappy Tue 05-Feb-13 23:47:53

I rowed with a checkout lady in Sainsbos one day as I dared to go to the basket only checkout with a trolley laden with...

my 3 year twins and 4 items, one of which was milk.

I literally wanted 20 mins of not running after them whilst looking at clothes and honeware , hence the trolley.
I had to explain myself.
And she tried to blame it on other customers who would have complained about me apparently.
I replied thus, " No they won't complain because they can see quite clearly why I have a trolley and only 4 items".
smile

jennywren123 Tue 05-Feb-13 23:50:02

We have self-scanning in our Tesco now. You can scan everything as you go round and put straight into your bags. Then use the separate tills to pay. They are next to the self-service tills so can swan past the huge queue of people with baskets to the self-scanning tills with no queue. Makes me feel quite smug!

In our local 24hour Tesco you will not find a manned checkout at all after 10pm. It's self serve or nothing, regardless of how much stuff you've got. I hate the bloody things, and I never understand why the item in the bagging area is unexpected if the fecking machine has recognised the barcode, and put item through at correct price....how can it then be surprised at it landing in the bagging area?

jennywren123 Tue 05-Feb-13 23:56:56

I think my son has been scarred for life by Tesco self-service tills. He once said "PLEASE INSERT YOUR CARD INTO THE CHIP AND PIN DEVICE" in his sleep confused

DuelingFanjo - I didn't realise Sainsburys even sold screaming toddlers! grin

Incidentally, it occurs to me that you could get unexpected homosexuals in the shagging area.

Jennywren - we went through a phase of getting ds1 to say a little prayer at bedtime (it didn't last - I was too tired), and one night his prayer was:

"Dear God - thank you for Tescos. Amen". At that point I decided we were beyond prayer" grin

M0naLisa Wed 06-Feb-13 00:11:08

Every time I go tescos now ill remember this thread
Items - homosexuals
Bagging area- shagging area

Lolgrin

PurpleStorm Wed 06-Feb-13 01:05:10

Depends on the shop.

I had to take a full trolley load through the self service tills a few months ago because the self service tills were the only ones open.

Believe me, I would have been using a proper till if they'd been open.

33goingon64 Wed 06-Feb-13 06:53:39

Came on here to correct the grammar and delighted to see several of you got there first. Solidarity among grammar pedants!

VivaLeBeaver Wed 06-Feb-13 07:15:23

I've been moved from a queue for an ordinary till to a self service one when I've had a trolley before. I hate self service tills. Our local Tesco now has double the number of self service tills than manned tills. There's at least 20 self service ones.

One thing that puzzles me is if you're buying expensive weigh your own apples - can people just put them through as cheap apples and pay less? Obviously it would be stealing and very wrong. But I bet lots of people do this and how would they know?

5madthings Wed 06-Feb-13 07:36:35

Anyone that uses self service tills is slightly unreasonable, crappy things they are! I dont use them, tho tbh i dont go to the supermarket that often.

Dawndonna Wed 06-Feb-13 07:42:04

If it can be counted, it's fewer.
Fewer bees, less honey.
peasy.

The Brighton stores are particularly rife with homosexuals in the shagging area, a reasonable rule in mho.

However I will go through with more than 10 items, esp in the big ASDA ones, but not an enourmous amount, likewise I will go to a basket till with a small trolley with 4 items and a toddler restrained, cos it's fun to see the pedants with 6 items in their basket jump up and down.

Another fun till trick is to scan as you go but not pack the last 20 items so you go in the fast track and someone behind complains that you shouldn't be there because your bags aren't packed, the crestfallen look on their face when they realise that they can't go infront is so funny.

fluffyraggies England Wed 06-Feb-13 09:08:57

Still LMAO @ homosexuals.

Sorry - but that was hillarious.

mademred Wed 06-Feb-13 09:17:06

Yanbu.gets my goat everytime.and the stupid people that take a weeks shop to the bloody kiosk ffs! These people are just ignorant and selfish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now