To want to be able to go to the toilet occasionally whilst at work?

(62 Posts)
CattyBrown Tue 05-Feb-13 07:58:54

I work afternoons and during the morning before I start work and also during my 10 minute break I tend to drink quite a bit of water, it's something that I have always done.

My supervisor however does not like anyone going to the toilet during shift time (IF I do go, I go when it is very quite and there is no work whatsoever to do). She always makes sly digs about how I should go on my break etc.

As long am I am not abusing the situation and going 6-7 times a shift, am I right in thinking that I should be allowed to go the toilet without being questioned and made to feel like a naughty schoolgirl?

RainbowsFriend Wed 06-Feb-13 22:57:11

As a teacher I deliberately reduce my fluid intake so I don;t need to go, as I normally don;t get time at break as I have to deal with pupils/clear up/set up next activity etc - and often at lunch we have meetings or suchlike.

Lots of my colleagues get kidney infections sad

OP - don't do what I do - it's not good for your health!

But surely the toilet is in the building! Or am I just being too pedantic? I always assumed staff nipped to the loo etc

CattyBrown Wed 06-Feb-13 21:30:25

Also, yes I have had tests as to why I drink alot and there is nothing wrong with me. I tried to cut downon the amount of water I drink, but, I have noticed that I get more frequent headaches. I guess I'm just someone who needs more fluids.

Thanks for everyone who has answered, and for the ones who haven't read my opening post correctly, please read again.

CattyBrown Wed 06-Feb-13 21:23:40

Sometimes I go once of twice out of my break and sometimes, like today, I didn't feel the need to go at all.

Thank you all for the advice.

BuntyPenfold Wed 06-Feb-13 20:38:52

SPBInDisguise yes, that is the whole building; no one else there to cover.

Bunty I thought ratios were applied across the whole building?

Earthymama Wed 06-Feb-13 08:33:17

Sparrows12, so true. . .so sad.

Sparrows12 Wed 06-Feb-13 08:29:11

Join a union - the TUC have been campaigning on this for years:

www.tuc.org.uk/workplace/tuc-17670-f0.cfm

Alternatively, you could try taking your employer hostage, as in this Chinese example:

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/22/chinese-managers-hostage-toilet-breaks.

Of course, we will all eventually end up like these Chinese workers with Chris (I smack my children and I'm fine with it) grayling at the helm. Lots to look forward to.

joanofarchitrave Tue 05-Feb-13 23:53:48

Thank God I have never, ever found myself working anywhere where any of this shit happens.

Maybe I've just spent my life working at jobs where nobody notices whether I am there or not... but it's got to be preferable to this.

Since this sort of company is bound to have professional snoopers monitoring the Internet for mentions of itself, I can see why nobody is naming and shaming. But if you think you can safely do so, feel extremely free.

MumVsKids Tue 05-Feb-13 23:46:47

Egg - call centre, had to put a code in phone for loo breaks.

Bloody nightmare sad

BuntyPenfold Tue 05-Feb-13 23:31:57

I have often wondered what other people do about this.

I work in a small day nursery and from 1-4 pm there are only 2 staff with the children, so neither should go to the toilet, as that leaves 1 adult alone with the children, which is not allowed (child protection but it protects the adults from false allegations too.)

Sometimes it is very difficult if on a heavy period etc. WE have to decide whether to break the rules. sad

EarlyMorningBaconDemon Tue 05-Feb-13 23:02:50

I had a moment like that in my previous job when my period started very unexpectedly (stupid implant). We had to log on to a specific setting whenever we needed the loo or a fag break, and if you took more than 20 minutes in an 8-hour shift they questioned you.

At one point I logged in to the section for "personal time" and the team leader accosted me at my desk, asking me why I was going and that I'd already had my 20 minutes of allotted time due to a urinary infection.

My retort was "if you don't let me leave I'm going to stand here and bleed all over this fucking carpet, which given the colour would probably improve it a little. Now can you please get the fuck out of my way?"

He was ashen. I almost died with laughter afterwards.

LineRunner Tue 05-Feb-13 22:27:39

It won't happen, now, Mortified, you'll have that 'Challenge Me' glint in your eye and no-one will dare.

FlouncingMintyy Tue 05-Feb-13 22:25:34

Why can't people understand the op? It seems perfectly clear to me.

alemci Tue 05-Feb-13 22:20:52

I work in a school and often get stuck in a classroom. i need to go after an hour especially if you drink tea. I can't wait until break or lunch. The kids are allowed to go if they need to as well which I think is good. When it is cold you go more and after having kids.

YANBU

MortifiedAdams Tue 05-Feb-13 22:09:34

Is it wrong that I am hoping to be questioned on leaving a meeting to go to the loo just so I can use LineRunners fantastic retort?

LineRunner Tue 05-Feb-13 18:06:29

Another useful retort to a toilet-mutterer is, 'I'll just sit here and bleed on my seat, shall I?'

LineRunner Tue 05-Feb-13 18:03:12

As for linerunner - well done you and the poster who did the same when accused about taking her handbag. I assume that was a man without a wife?!

Why yes, how on earth did you guess? grin

sicutlilium Tue 05-Feb-13 17:46:05

Seconds the applause!

IrnBruChew Tue 05-Feb-13 17:40:40

We are not allowed smoke breaks. The boss smokes like a chimney though and goes for a fag every 30 mins. No fair.

marjproops Tue 05-Feb-13 17:29:42

When I worked in an office I needed the loo a lot.

What really peeved me was that the smokers could have a 5 min 'smoke break' yet we non-smokers were expected to stay working...and some people smoked a lOT.

as for the loo...geez, its like at school, OP you should raise your hand, jumping up and down in your seat crying ''please Miss, can I go to the toilet'' !

failing that, pee in her seat!!!

SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Tue 05-Feb-13 15:37:27

"I do occasionally wonder if they are expecting me to come back into a meeting with blood all over my hands and a wild stare screaming 'I am the goddess.' "

You should do that one day, just to see the look on their faces. And then, of course, report back to MN grin

Oh, and I agree with quoteunquote. Name these companies so we know who not to give our money to, and join a union.

Pourquoimoi Tue 05-Feb-13 15:10:46

OP - on a pragmatic note, could you down your water intake a little at you're breaks? You said you drank quite a lot so don't know if it would cause you discomfort not to drink it?

Pourquoimoi Tue 05-Feb-13 15:09:17

I also know someone who used to go for a 30min nap most days in the toilet (not me). That is clearly taking the mick but normal toilet breaks should always be allowed.

As for linerunner - well done you and the poster who did the same when accused about taking her handbag. I assume that was a man without a wife?!

CalamityKate Tue 05-Feb-13 14:49:59

Wees not weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now