To think that if this daft woman on the telly could 'feel' that she was standing on Richard III's grave...

(132 Posts)
IAmLouisWalsh Mon 04-Feb-13 21:13:16

Then they should have just dug under her feet?

I'd have dropped her in the hole once I'd got him out

Bogeyface Tue 05-Feb-13 00:06:29

Hope not Kim, I am waiting for our Glorious Revolution too!

fishcalledwonder Tue 05-Feb-13 00:14:05

Just finished watching it. They should have had a 'press the red button if you want to edit out the scary king stalker' option. Could have been an amazing documentary without her quivering lip.

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 05-Feb-13 00:39:20

<wishes Clytaemnestra would have taught me history like that!>

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 05-Feb-13 00:56:51

I found the whole documentary very unsatisfactory really. And that woman was barking.

The way she was looking at the reconstructed face made me think she'd be running off with it at the first opportunity. To put on a mannequin so she can have photos done of them together with her wearing a wedding dress.

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 05-Feb-13 01:08:36

YABsooooU.

She put the research in. She went with her gut. She invested her time and her money in this. Is it any wonder she is totally excited that all that has paid off?

Blame the editor if you didn't like the programme. But don't blame this dedicated, intelligent woman.angry

whysorude Tue 05-Feb-13 01:14:38

As an archaeologist I found this rather fascinating. [strokes non-existant beard]

And it would appear that X does not mark the spot - but rather R.

But she didn't come across as excited, she came across as unhinged!

JakeBullet Tue 05-Feb-13 06:08:42

For me it was summed up best by one of the archaeologists. "First find, in the first trench on the first day".... and under a parking space with the letter "R" on it. I mean how absolutely amazing is that?

Phillips became a source of irritation and laughter here but to be fair she has obviously dedicated loads of time, research and no doubt some of her own money to this and has enabled the find of the century so far. All kudos to her for that but am loving the description of her further back as a "drama llama"... totally agree.

GilmoursPillow Tue 05-Feb-13 06:15:07

Where have you all been watching this? I'm not in the UK so have only read about her. I feel I am missing out.

Salteena Tue 05-Feb-13 06:56:14

Yes, she undoubtedly put in time, effort and research, but it's still a pity that they ended up with a fairly risible documentary thanks to her lip-quivering performance.

I mean, this is an amazing archaeological find of huge historical importance. But the programme was history-lite - I expected it to be at least a Time Team special, which would have had some proper, enthusiastic but professional experts to explain it all.

Instead we got someone who 'knew' where the grave was because she got shivers down her spine when she walked over it. Which must have been pretty galling for all the dedicated archaeologists who have degrees, who've slaved on digs in all weathers for years, and have devoted their lives to their jobs. I don't suppose they feel any less 'passionate' about their discipline than Philippa L does; they just go about it in a more controlled way!

Also, given the number of experts who get roped in on Time Team, I suspect that the pinpointing of the grave site was rather less Philippa's sole discovery than the prog let on. I bet there was far more research from many more people before they got to the point of actually starting - but again, the prog glossed over all those minor details hmm

Having said all which, I still watched it to the end gritting my teeth whenever PL came on

What are the references to Stupid Death Man about?

TandB Tue 05-Feb-13 08:02:54

I'm a bit confused by why this is all over the news right now as though it is a new story - I heard a radio program weeks ago where they said they already knew it was Richard III but weren't formally announcing it because they wanted to tie in with the program.

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Tue 05-Feb-13 08:11:38

I think they said previously that they were pretty sure it was Richard III, but they had to go through the DNA/carbon dating tests to be completely certain.

FlamesOnTheSideOfMyFace Tue 05-Feb-13 08:25:11

You couldn't have time team do it shock - there is no way they would find exactly what they were looking for on the first day!

It would take them three days to find a 1" square bit of tile and then they'd go off for a drink to celebrate grin and i love time team

firesidechat Tue 05-Feb-13 08:25:42

I was really looking forward to this programme, but the woman sort of spoilt it for me. I know there wouldn't have been a story without her and it wasn't her fault that she was slightly irritating, but kept wanting to tell her to "get a grip".

AIBU to wish that the BBC had done the programme instead. It was watchable but a bit lightweight in style for me.

badtemperedaldbitch Tue 05-Feb-13 08:26:32

it made me laugh out loud... and i did think that it was a spoof in parts...especially the part with the flag.

the bones lady snorted on at least a couple of occasions and i found my seld identifying with her much more than Phipplipa.

Great viewing... the most entertaining thing i've seen on tv for ages

badtemperedaldbitch Tue 05-Feb-13 08:27:02

i didnt get who the bloke with the curly hair was either

FlamesOnTheSideOfMyFace Tue 05-Feb-13 08:27:52

She was bonkers wasn't she - but given that her and her cronies were mostly funding the dig the archaeologists had to keep their traps shut ... like the bit at the beginning of Jurassic Park where he flies in with his helicopter.

Agree at the beginning the documentary makers weren't expecting her to be right (and were prob planning to make a doc about a mad obsessed lady) - so it's nice that she was right for that reason also.

Cornycabernet Tue 05-Feb-13 08:31:50

I loved the bones lady and her patient pained expression - reminds me of a weary mother trying not to get cross with their toddler.

firesidechat Tue 05-Feb-13 08:37:46

I loved the bones lady and her patient pained expression - reminds me of a weary mother trying not to get cross with their toddler.

This^

Jo was excellent and could have done with more of her - a slightly cynical, rational scientist. Much more interesting to watch than the loony woman. I could have cheered when she refused to have anything to do with draping the wretched flag.

It was very funny when they proceded to put the box in a messy work van like it was a toolbox, rather than a dead body. Slightly ruined the point of the shiny flag.

senua Tue 05-Feb-13 08:48:02

Also, given the number of experts who get roped in on Time Team, I suspect that the pinpointing of the grave site was rather less Philippa's sole discovery than the prog let on. I bet there was far more research from many more people before they got to the point of actually starting - but again, the prog glossed over all those minor details

Er, no they didn't. They said that Phillipa had her 'feeling' about the spot. They said that historians did proper research. And they said that the two co-incided, happily.

Clytaemnestra Tue 05-Feb-13 09:08:35

To be fair, there must have been a large amount of research and evidence as they don't generally let a mad woman with a digger just start digging up car parks as she has a funny feeling.

Channel 4 might well have done a bit of stitching up as well. The chuckle brothers style of music in the background wasn't really helping the whole flag fiasco.

BupcakesAndCunting Tue 05-Feb-13 09:14:35

"It means dont let Uncle Andy have a key to the Tower"

Arf!

Awww, no-one is doubting the hard work/money Phillipa put in and I like to see a person enthused about their thing as much as the next person. But come on, the flag was hilarious! And her face when she saw the reconstructed head. Bless her.

BupcakesAndCunting Tue 05-Feb-13 09:25:35

And Stupid Deaths man was the man who does Stupid Deaths on Horrible Histories.

He was great! I love Horrible Histories.

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 05-Feb-13 10:16:56

GilmoursPillow Tue 05-Feb-13 06:15:07
Where have you all been watching this? I'm not in the UK so have only read about her. I feel I am missing out.

Er, no two ways about it. You did miss out sad. It was.... immense.
The prog was called 'Richard III: The King In The Carpark', and it aired last night on UK Channel 4 at 9pm. Do get it on 4oD if you can sneak it that way. Whet your appetite here

Featuring Mad Lady, Curly-HAired man who sings songs about history on kids' tv, and (sane) Bones Lady.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now