Not to let dd read the longest whale song by Jacqueline Wilson?

(40 Posts)
CocktailQueen Sun 03-Feb-13 10:19:22

Ddd is 9 and a vg reader. She loves JW books and has been lent this one. I have had a look through and am not happy with her reading it. It's about a woman who has eclampsia when she has her baby and it in a coma for ages. I know dd will get upset a it. Also, I am not sure the subject matter is appropriate for her. Wwyd? Aibu?

MerlotAndMe Sun 03-Feb-13 20:58:31

My dd has read them all. judy curtin books are more mum, dad, dog and 2.4 kids if thats wat u r after!

porridgewithalmondmilk Sun 03-Feb-13 21:04:46

CocktailQueen - many of the classics for starters! grin Secret Garden and A Little Princess both feature deaths of parents - as does HP for that matter hmm And ALL Michael Morpurgo's books make me teary and sniffly, in particular War Horse - I can deal with dying men, just about, but not dying horses wink

Absolutely you know your DD best but - and I'll be a bit controversial here - I think books give us that sense of not being alone, as well as how to cope "if". Far better that a child knows the world isn't always a kind place but has strategies in place to cope, than for their world to be a fairy tale place that goes suddenly, horribly wrong.

MrsSham Sun 03-Feb-13 21:18:04

You know your dd and if you think it will upset her then give her the choice, and if its upsetting see if she wants to stop reading. I often avoid over emotional things through choice as do many adults, no reason why a child shouldn't have that choice either, I'm don't agree with any of the ideas that it does children good to learn some of the harder lessons or circumstances in life. Some people can handle it some can't and that goes for kids as much as adults. I think their should the choice.

my dd 6 began reading suitcase kid, it surprisingly upset her, she generally doesn't upset easily and doesn't have much empathy so I was surprised however she has loved a series of unfortunate events, which I find a little on the darker side for age but she has loved it. Maybe because it is so far removed from real life.

CocktailQueen Sun 03-Feb-13 23:08:01

You know, Porridge, A Secret Garden and The Little Princess were two of my favourite books as a child (but Secret Garden was different because we don't ever meet the mother, do we? so she is removed from the reader), and I have never forgotten them. They really affected me. I know how dd has been affected by some of the books she has read - MM esp - which is why I asked for advice.

Dancergirl Sun 03-Feb-13 23:23:40

Good luck with not 'letting' her read it. Does she not read/borrow books from her school library/classroom/borrowed from friends? What are you going to do, follow her around and vet each book she reads? Mine are all keen readers and get through books at an astonishing rate. Anyway it's good to read a wide variety.

OkayHazel Mon 04-Feb-13 00:50:51

CocktailQueen Jacqueline Wilson books. I was 9 a mere 12 years ago.

CocktailQueen Mon 04-Feb-13 11:45:27

Dancergirl - yes, she does, but I see them and she shows me which she lends to her friends/borrows from them. No, of course am not going to follow her around; that would be silly. Am just asking for advice on this one book.

Okayhazel - The Longest Whale Song was only published in 2010 so reading it when you were 9 was clever hmm.

MumVsKids Mon 04-Feb-13 11:47:24

I bought my 8yo the box set last week of JW books, she's over half way through already, I've no problem with her reading any of them tbh smile

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 04-Feb-13 11:55:47

We all hope our children won't encounter these issues in real life. However, most of them do at some point. I feel that reading these kind of books and discussing the the issues with your child help to prepare them for when they are presented with the real situations.
This time last year my DD's life was untouched by any such situations. In the last year her Daddy moved out to live with the alcoholic other woman he had been having an affair with whose DD bullies mine and oh yes I got breast cancer. My beautiful girl has had to deal with all of these situations at least having read JW she knew it was normal to feel angry, sad and confused.

Theas18 Mon 04-Feb-13 12:25:57

To the op has a book ever given your child nightmares? anxieties beyond those that have opened up an interesting discussion and addressed/put to be fears?

I very strongly feel kids self censor- mine wouldn't carry on reading if they felt a book wasn't OK for them.

yes we've had issues raised etc but you need to talk about spilt families, poorly mums etc because it happens (not in your lovely household I'm sure) but to your kids mates. Ms mum (in DD2s class) who played the piano when they were in infants died of liver cancer when they were in year ?5. THat isn't that uncommon I'm afraid.

If you look at classic books there is always trauma. Almost all child heros seem to be orphans - if the hero hasn't had a terrible childhood they aren't a good hero! THe secret garden- blimey doesn't come much more grim. Poor girl- parents die and she's brought to a foreign country where she cannot understand what is going on as it's so different, and she meets a boy who's taken to bed after his mother died falling off a swing in the garden . Doesn't come more horrific really and ..... yet it isn't, it's a fab book about overcoming adversity, getting on with people and being happy in your own skin/thankful for what you do have not what you don't.

films I did censor, but books never- a 9yr old reads a 1st world war book with soldiers with a little bullet hole in their head being dead. Yes, not nice but a very sanitised version of the way I read War horse etc- drowning literally in mud and blood, body parts missing and mortally wounded screaming in pain amongst the noise of bombs and terrified comrades. It's a different experience as an adult.

Whyamihere Mon 04-Feb-13 12:50:04

OP, I stopped reading a JW book to my dd recently because of the content, the book we were reading was talking about one night stands and other things I didn't think was appropriate for dd to know about (it was the one where the girl is left home alone with her brothers and sisters), dd is only 8, I just didn't think she needed to know about one night stands at her age.
Dd is dyslexic though so I still read to her every day and therefore I have an input into what she reads, I guess as her reading gets better and she reads more herself I will lose some of that control.
When I was young I read everything and anything I could get my hands on. At fourteen I was reading a mixture of Chalet School books, Agatha Christie and Mills and Boons (the last two because they were in the house), a bizarre combination.

OkayHazel Mon 04-Feb-13 17:06:24

CocktailQueen I didn't say I'd read the Last Whale Song at 9. I said I'd read Jacqueline Wilson.

OkayHazel Mon 04-Feb-13 17:07:18

*Longest, not Last.

GrowSomeCress Mon 04-Feb-13 17:59:08

YANBU. I have adored reading from a young age but always found that the JW, while realistic for some, contained way too much trauma - I preferred to read books like The Faraway Tree which were really lovely stories and a bit of escapism and fantasy

lljkk Mon 04-Feb-13 18:14:09

All JW books make me cry (pathetic or what, I know).

On balance, I liked DD reading JW books because it became a way for her to discuss big fears (like losing me). And we could talk about how there were many ways she would be able to cope, that people learn to cope with difficult situations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now