Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

That you disregard dc safety

(81 Posts)
bongobaby Sat 02-Feb-13 10:27:48

Exp has dc on contact visit once a month. He turns up without car seat for dc. I got so fed up of his disregard in keeping dc safe on car journeys that I had it written into the court order that he was to bring a suitible car seat for dc. Is it to much to ask that he pays attention to this ffs its only one time a month. He refuses to go out and buy one. Dc should be properly restrained in a car by law,not just me being difficult as exp puts it.

frustratedworkingmum Sun 03-Feb-13 11:59:59

Christ on a bike - i feel sorry for your kids

delilahlilah Sun 03-Feb-13 11:57:07

Some of them have this mind set that they are giving you money for yourself, not for the child. My Ex does this and says 'but you get child benefit, you shouldn't need anything else'.... yes, because that goes so far towards the cost of bringing up a child angry
I am trying to live with the idea that the financial sitaution is the cost of gettting rid of the twat, and I have as little to do with him as possible. Occasionally however, I lose the plot. Like you, it was DV etc, but I am now in the position that I am no longer afraid of him. Him realising that has changed things. Bullies are cowards underneath, and he is afraid that you are no longer his to control.

spiritedaway Sat 02-Feb-13 23:15:39

Eh ? What the what? Phone are you serious?

spiritedaway Sat 02-Feb-13 23:14:30

Yes he should but he isn',. so you have to.He has an easy way to wind you up. Don't bite. Put your kid first and rise about it

bongobaby Sat 02-Feb-13 19:52:00

The bloke is an arse whom I think is using ds to play his shitty mind games.
Gimme its what I have been doing for years trying to get payment from him, it,s pretty hard when his response is "over my dead body will you get any money out of me".
How dare he tell ds that he can sell things from our house just what sort of twat is he? And its plain to see that he had (mine from last time) a car seat all along just wants to make me look bad infront of ds if I say no you can,t go with daddy with no car seat knowing that he had it all along...

gimmecakeandcandy Sat 02-Feb-13 19:45:15

You MUST pursue payments from him.

And no more contact until he gets a car seat. Your ds will eventually see him for what he is.

bongobaby Sat 02-Feb-13 19:36:20

An hour late coming back , Car seat was at his fathers house as he said to ds that your mum should of given me yours!!! ds came back in new clothes as father said he didn,t like what he was wearing so made him get changed into new clothes in the shop changing room and put his other clothes in a bag.
Also told ds that he can sell his playstation for him when he gives it to him and get him an xbox. Hold on a minute I worked hard to buy the playstation and he shouldn,t be telling him that he can just sell it for him!!
He seems to want to undermind me as ds threw a right strop when I said that no he will not be selling the playstation.
He is a beginning to irritate me.

bongobaby Sat 02-Feb-13 17:31:09

Taking the piss is what he is doing and being a bully. Problem is I don,t want his shit disregard rubbing off on ds.

lljkk Netherlands Sat 02-Feb-13 17:07:30

So sorry you are in this position. But every time he successfully bullies you he will be encouraged to keep doing it and will keep doing it. You must find a way to stand up to him. Good luck.

Pandemoniaa Sat 02-Feb-13 17:02:58

Hold on, booster seats weren't even legally required until 6 years ago or so, at that age

This.

My dcs are grown up. At the age that your son is they were always in a seatbelt. However (and I'm not saying this is right, merely that it is how it was) booster seats for 8 year olds were neither a legal requirement nor used. They travelled for thousands of miles without accident.

I realise that this doesn't make the situation with your ex any easier but please don't get paranoid about the automatic likelihood of an accident occurring.

If a car seat is specified in the court order and he refuses to use one then you do have to take him back to court. Otherwise there's no point in having the order in the first place and he can carry on taking the piss.

bongobaby Sat 02-Feb-13 17:02:57

Had a bit of a panic back there but sure ds will come back safely fingers crossed.
Legally making his life difficult would put me and ds in not a very good position as dv have taken place. I am scared of his reaction to things so I tend to want a quite life and not engage with him. sometimes I lose it and tell him that I dont care/give a shit but it falls on deaf ears.
when it comes to him being above the law believe me he is. He managed to persuede a judge to overturn an injunction on him from me. I hate me and ds being put in this posistion when all I want is for ds to be safe. its like he can lord it over us.

Yes, an 8-year-old doesn't really need a car seat. (I hate car seats anyway, I hate the whole unnecessary scaremongering con of them being suddenly 'required' for older and older children). So try not to fixate on that too much.

However, I would advise a chat with WA about getting a better solicitor, one who is used to abusive dickheads and legal ways of putting them in their place. This man is an arsehole but he does not have superpowers and is not above the law. You can legally make his life difficult and uncomfortable and I suggest you go ahead.

rainbowrainbowrainbow Sat 02-Feb-13 15:52:47

Oh no OP sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. Sorry. I am just overcautios because of what happened to neighbour. If they have seatbelts on they should be ok if theres an accident, even if they've not quite big enough to go without boosters.

lljkk Netherlands Sat 02-Feb-13 15:49:33

Hold on, booster seats weren't even legally required until 6 years ago or so, at that age. They may be best to use but the risk increase for not having one is not massive. Don't panic. Come up with an action plan for future, that part you can control.

bongobaby Sat 02-Feb-13 15:42:12

oh shit im paranoid now that they may have an accident on the road, he could go through the windscreen or anything I feel worried sick,why bloody why bloody prick he is a prick I should never of let dc go

rainbowrainbowrainbow Sat 02-Feb-13 15:42:03

If you did go back to court and exp didn't turn up I am pretty sure he would be liable for all court fees. Have to get babies up now, best of luck. Will you update on how you get on?

rainbowrainbowrainbow Sat 02-Feb-13 15:37:03

Oh OP he sounds impossible.
Try and comfort yourself with the fact that when dc are older they will understand that you are the one who was always there for them and did all you could to ensure their safety. It's not a petty issue either. A neighbours son was killed in a car accident when not strapped into car seat properly, it's just not worth the risk. Just a shame your exp can't behave like a responsible grown up!

rainbowrainbowrainbow Sat 02-Feb-13 15:27:40

I had to apply for a variation as exp was "unemployed". I argued that his lifestyle was incompatible with a nil assessment BUT I had to get judge to release form E? from during litigation, which stated other income/assets/outgoings that he had disclosed. Hisrental income, cars, 2nd Mediterranean home was enough to convince senior csa guy that he had to pay. Problem was it was complex and no-one wanted to touch it. If you have any particularly written proof of assets or can give as much info as poss re lifestyle, holidays he may go on etc it helps. I now get maximum payments.

bongobaby Sat 02-Feb-13 15:27:22

its almost as if he is trying to goad me. he is adament that we should never go back to court again and that he won,t turn up anyway. he is acting younger than ds. im not looking forward to the chat with dc later as fairly enough he loves his father and looks forward to contact. but he needs to understand that his safety is important.

Of course it will go in one ear and out the other. What he does isn't the point. Your son is the point. He will have asked daddy to do something, and daddy won't have done it. At the moment, your son blames you if contact doesn't happen (and I can't see your ex pass up the chance to badmouth you to DS and reinforce that misconception). This might help DS to see where blame lies for himself, without any adult telling him.

bongobaby Sat 02-Feb-13 15:07:57

thats sad for your dc rainbow but his fathers loss

bongobaby Sat 02-Feb-13 15:06:45

It will cost me money to have the breach of order taken before the judge again. So it looks like I will have try and appeal to him to bring the car seat. don,t fancy my chances much. failing that then it will be no contact until he comes with a seat. im prepared to take the flack from dc but its true what whereyouleftit i am the adult.
intrested to know how your csa worked out please rainbow.

rainbowrainbowrainbow Sat 02-Feb-13 14:58:01

You shouldn't have to and yes it does sound controlling of him.
Someone senior needs to look at your case by the sounds of it. If you have the strength do keep on at the csa, they exist because of people like him after all.
Took me over a year to get my claim sorted but worth the aggravation.

bongobaby Sat 02-Feb-13 14:57:51

when dc comes back from contact later I will have the conversation with him re the car seat. But as for dc asking him to do that over the phone it will go in one ear and out the other. I can,t empahsize enough how he thinks that he can,t be told what to do and how to do it. its so draining having a grown adult behave like this.

rainbowrainbowrainbow Sat 02-Feb-13 14:47:23

My ex has been livid with me for years, ever since a judge ordered him to disclose his assets. He was saying he ccouldn't afford child maintenance, then it transpired he'd been given over a million quid when he was made redundant. He still believes he shouldn't have to pay any maintenance. He also only sees his dc once a month.
I handle it now by being really nice and polite when we have to speak/email etc, flummoxes him completely. Very hard to do after all the pain he caused his dc when he remarried and decided he no longer wanted to support his son or have regular contact with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now