Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not give a damn if the Labour Party...

(356 Posts)
slatternlymother Thu 31-Jan-13 18:42:56

Give away free flat screen TV's and a £500 Next gift card to everyone claiming benefits.

I don't care if they say 'fuck it, free immigration to everyone, we'll let anyone in'

I don't care if they spend 4 jillion pounds on a statue of Ghandi.

Just as long as the Conservatives don't get in again. They are fucking evil, aren't they?

bastards. Fucking bastards

I don't want to live in a country like this anymore sad

Bowlersarm Thu 31-Jan-13 18:58:37

Sorry, OP, I don't agree. I didn't vote in the last election as I was undecided. I'll be voting Tory in the next election. I think they're doing a pretty decent job in terrible national and international economic times

Skittish Thu 31-Jan-13 18:59:10

I agree Headfairy.

But I'm still bloody relieved they are in power .

slatternlymother Thu 31-Jan-13 18:59:37

skittish you're right. You know? When people become jobless, fuck them. Let them go on the streets, or seek refuge in a shelter at night. Let them starve.

It's not a lot they get. For the small number of people 'scrounging' there are thousands who have to scrape by.

My friend is in receipt of benefits because her partner works at Sainsburys petrol station and she stays home with her DD. it's to top them up. Anything they get taken off them is a huge blow.

slatternlymother Thu 31-Jan-13 19:00:27

Add message | Report | Message poster Skittish Thu 31-Jan-13 18:56:36
Instead Headfairy, many of them live a lifestyle that many working full time can only dream of.

Yes dear, of course they do. <eyeroll>

HeadFairy Thu 31-Jan-13 19:00:35

Oh yeah skittish cos a life on benefits is really luxurious hmm

slatternly ah, yes. It wasn't pretty back in the 80s. I was living in Leeds at the time and the devastation of the north was pretty ugly. But everyone was so overjoyed when there were lots of public sector jobs created in a bid to revitalise the north - oh yes, sorry all those are gone now too.

ConferencePear Thu 31-Jan-13 19:01:12

Amazingly what repetition will do isn't it ?
The Tories have said that we are in an economic mess because of Gordon Brown/the Labour Party so often that people believe it. I suppose he/they must be responsible for the crisis in the USA, Greece, Portugal and France among others.
Or was it the cheating bankers ? It's good most people believe them though otherwise they would be complaining about the way the poor are being made to pay.

Hobbitation Thu 31-Jan-13 19:01:14

Skittish that change affects the middle, not the top 1% such as bankers who caused the economic problems and all their fat cat chums.

The point is not that Labour are dazzlingly brilliant but that they are the lesser of several evils.

Skittish Thu 31-Jan-13 19:03:29

Slatternly, maybe your friend should think about taking a job and being a two parent working family like millions of others rather than choosing to take state handouts?

Since when did not choosing not to work and living off the rest of us who do become an acceptablel way to live?

Meglet Thu 31-Jan-13 19:04:57

dreamingofsun I pay £10 less tax these days, FWIW I earn £9k. But I pay approx £70 more in childcare fees a month as the Condems changed the childcare tax credit thresholds. We'll lose even more when they charge for the CSA.

So poor and much worse off since they came into power.

Skittish Thu 31-Jan-13 19:05:23

Slatternly, it is an acknowledged fact that some families are better off choosing not to work. This is precisely what this Govt is driven to change . Many, many low skilled people ARE better off not working - you aren't really disputing that fact are you? shock.

CloudsAndTrees Thu 31-Jan-13 19:06:43

Yeah, you're right. Evil fucking bastards expecting people to pay for the services they want to be have available!?

You'd think the nasty bastards would just conjure the money out of thin air to pay for social services, refuse collections and facilities, maintenance of public areas, the police, the fire service, schools, SEN support, wouldn't you?

Bastards.

hmm

HeadFairy Thu 31-Jan-13 19:06:55

skittish Your assumption relies on there actually being jobs for Slatternly's friend... that's why I understand that the Tories aren't actually evil, just really really really thick. Seriously how can you trot out the old shit about getting off your bike and getting a job without actually creating the conditions that provide those jobs? Have any of these people actually read any economics books? What did they do at university apart from trashing pubs and hunting small animals?

slatternlymother Thu 31-Jan-13 19:07:09

So now you're saying that only better off people should have children?

Am I more deserving of my DS because I have never claimed benefits and both DH and I work ft?

Is that what you're saying?

Procrastinating Thu 31-Jan-13 19:08:07

I'm with you OP.

Anyone notice that while the poorest will be paying (with what??) council tax, spending on 'defence' will be going up. That is not the world I want to live in.

Every time I hear that crap about Gordon Brown spending all the money I do an involuntary horrible face, it is starting to hurt now. Did Gordon Brown do over the rest of the world too? It is just not LOGICAL is it?

I'm old enough to remember the last time the Tories were in and I think this is actually worse.

Skittish Thu 31-Jan-13 19:08:36

Headfairy, isn't odd that thousands upon thousands of people can come here and find work easily but thousands of those who are born and bred here can't? confused

IfNotNowThenWhen Thu 31-Jan-13 19:08:36

FACT: THE MAJORITY OF "BENEFIT CLAIMANTS" ARE WORKING PEOPLE MANY OF WHOM WORK FULL TIME.
The number of people who "choose" not to work is actually quite small You can get this information from the DWP website.
And not every family HAS two parents. So one parent working full time usually still needs state help to cover extortionate rents etc.
OP YANBU.

slatternlymother Thu 31-Jan-13 19:08:56

clouds what are these people going to pay with?

HeadFairy Thu 31-Jan-13 19:09:17

Also, the low pay culture in this country has created the situation that many people earn less than the childcare they require to enable them to work costs... perhaps to satisfy Iain Duncan Smith they should work at a loss?

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 31-Jan-13 19:11:04

How long have the Tories been in now? And how many more dips have there been in the recession?

HeadFairy Thu 31-Jan-13 19:11:05

skittish you see, there you go believing the Daily Mail again. Thousands and thousands of people have not come here and taken our jobs. Fact. There are quite a few unemployed Polish people here you know.

IfNotNowThenWhen Thu 31-Jan-13 19:11:25

No clouds and trees, I would expect the government to make companies like Vodaphone to PAY the vast amounts they owe in tax to pay for schools and hospitals, rather than punish those who are already struggling.

Skittish Thu 31-Jan-13 19:11:30

Godwins Law Godwin's Law Slatternly - yes, they should all be sterilised and then thrown in workhouses! That;s EXACTLY what I think.

FFS. How about people actually set up home, get in a stable relationship and get jobs before having ids and expecting the rest of us to put food in their mouths?

slatternlymother Thu 31-Jan-13 19:13:10

Well skittish, I had to ask seeing as you are coming out with such Daily Mail cliches wink

CloudsAndTrees Thu 31-Jan-13 19:13:55

I expect them to make companies pay tax they legally owe as well. But not instead of the individuals who actually use the services. As well as.

IfNotNowThenWhen Thu 31-Jan-13 19:16:08

I really hope that all of the people who spout shite about " skivers" and "single mothers" and "immigrants" get made redundant. See how comfy life is on the other side of the fence.
You people are playing into the hands of a government of millionaires who are systematically hell bent on destroying this country, piece by piece-the NHS, the welfare state which has pulled millions out of poverty in the last 50 years, the smart kids from poor families who will no longer be able to become doctors or engineers.
I can count 4 masters degrees in my working class family. How many working class families will be able to say that in 20 years?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now