To be a bit shocked about a friend giving her six month old cake?

(167 Posts)

At lunch today, a friend ordered a piece of Victoria sponge for pudding, sliced off a fair chunk (jam, buttercream and all) and fed it to her six month old, after this baby had had some kind of veggie mush, fruit purée, a petit filou and a rusk.

I have an 8mo and all this (esp cake) strikes me as sugar overload or AIBU and would other people do this?

(I said nothing to friend, by the way, and I'm reasonably sure my face remained neutrally arranged...just wondering if I'm being PFB about what I give DS.)

I wouldn't give all that together to my 16mo! He does get treats, the odd bit of chocolate and such but all at once. shock

I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at seeing a 6mo being given 1 of those things but together it is too much.

GiveMeSomeSpace Sat 26-Jan-13 19:32:55

"Overload of sugar" - it's a piece of cake FFS. It's not breakfast, lunch and dinner. Jeessuss. Get over yourselves.

It will do the baby NO harm at all.

It's not the cake... It's the cake and rusk and petit filous and fruit pouch!

Yes, whatevertheweather - it was the Petit Filous + rusk + cake that got my judgey pants hoiked. Had small piece of cake been proffered alone after veggie mush and a bit of fruit I might have unclenched.

pixi2 Sat 26-Jan-13 19:35:05

Yes to it being too much food, wouldn't have been bothered by the baby having cake if on blw.

achillea Sat 26-Jan-13 19:35:12

Actually the important thing is that the food is sterile. Cake bought in a shop could have some nasty bugs on it that an adult can cope with but a baby might not.

Nicola80 Sat 26-Jan-13 19:36:13

It's not your kid therefore not really any of your concern what your friend feeds her child.

MikeFlowersPops Sat 26-Jan-13 19:37:52

If the baby ate all that it must have been hungry surely? I've never been able to feed my DD more than she's hungry for - she just refuses it.

GiveMeSomeSpace Sat 26-Jan-13 19:38:17

So what if it was with the other stuff as well. Lucky little baby is all I can say.

If the baby is having it with every meal then, yes, it's clearly an issue. But this wouldn't appear to be the case.

Honestly, what's going to happen? Will the baby self combust? Calm down everyone.

HoneyDragon Sat 26-Jan-13 19:38:31

YABU

It is wrong to deprive anyone of cake if cake is in the vicinity. Wrong.

In fact the idea of a person or persons being near to cake but remaining cakeless has left me deeply deeply distraught, saddened and enraged.

<<flounces>>

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 26-Jan-13 19:40:35

I understand totally what you mean and I wouldn't do it with my own kids ( and have had several incidents when I have had to stop other people trying to make that decision for me) but she gets to make that choice for her child you get to make it for your child.

Might not self combust but could end up a bit sick from all that.

the rusk on it's own would have a massive sugar content

And if it's hungry why not feed it actual food more than just a bit of veggie mash? Loading up on sugar to fill up isn't good.

CatchTheFox Sat 26-Jan-13 19:41:56

food should be STERILE!? fucking hell, i'm surprised the human race has survived this long.

ChoudeBruxelles Sat 26-Jan-13 19:42:18

Is your baby your first OP? Chill

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 26-Jan-13 19:43:03

achillea Sat 26-Jan-13 19:35:12
Actually the important thing is that the food is sterile. Cake bought in a shop could have some nasty bugs on it that an adult can cope with but a baby might not.

Don't understand. Food isn't sterile. And at six months old babies can eat anything. If you do BLW they have what you have, within moderation in regards to salt content, food cooked properly etc

ChoudeBruxelles Sat 26-Jan-13 19:43:11

How do you get food to be sterile achillea

MarianneM Sat 26-Jan-13 19:43:38

YANBU

At 6m a baby should still be primarily having milk and STARTING on solids.

Your friend must have weaned the baby very early on if the baby was able to eat like that at 6 months.

And sugar, cake etc is hardly ideal for a baby.

Interesting how defensive people get about feeding babies rubbish.

GiveMeSomeSpace Sat 26-Jan-13 19:44:06

Yes Schro but it's NOT EVERY MEAL.

Gordon Bennett. Babies wrapped in cotton wool

bigkidsdidit Sat 26-Jan-13 19:44:14

Sterile? Achillea did you not give your children bananas or weetabix or anything other than jars confused

Food doesn't need to be sterile!

cocoachannel Sat 26-Jan-13 19:45:05

Sterile? At six months DD would lick the floor if she rolled over the right way.

Oh ffs. Seriously, you all.need to remove the sodding great poles from your arses.

Woopie fucking doo if there is too much sugar. Baby is NOT going to bloody keel over!!

Kids in third world countries would lose a limb for a piece of cake.

Chill. The. Fuck. Out.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 26-Jan-13 19:47:48

I'm sure they get more germs from their toys which are on the floor than a bit of cake.

Kids need germs, it's how they develop an immune system.

kilmuir Sat 26-Jan-13 19:48:08

what the bloody hell is sterile food

MarianneM This baby was weaned very early. I think friend was putting baby rice in her bottle when she was under four months (I am allowed to be a bit shocked about that aren't I??)

It's not just a piece of cake though... That is far too much food for a 6mo and mines ate like a horse.

And I don't have a problem with a young baby being given cake or rusks etc but all together there is really no need for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now